Retarded tinfoil hats part deux

May 1, 2012, 6:02 p.m.

Seriously? Is this the shit our municipal politicians are wasting their time with? The RF hazards of smart meters? They have embedded modems in them that wake up for one minute, once a day, and transmit cumulative usage data. If you live in the GVRD you are right now being bathed in radiation from the FM radio and VHF TV stations on Mt. Seymour. This is the sort of thing that our city government is concerning itself with?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/05/01/bc-vancouver-smart-meter-resolution.html

Smart meter resolution goes to Vancouver council
Motion to allow residents to opt out of smart meter program debated Wednesday
CBC News
Posted: May 1, 2012 4:33 PM PT
Last Updated: May 1, 2012 5:45 PM PT
Read 25 comments25

Smart meters ignite fierce debate in B.C.
BC Hydro smart meter opponents lose ruling

A Vancouver city councillor has put forward a motion that calls for city residents to be allowed to opt out of BC Hydro’s smart meter program.

Councillor Adrianne Carr said she's been inundated with phone calls and emails from concerned citizens.

Carr said the intensity of the protest led her to introduce a motion that would allow Vancouverites to choose not to have the controversial meters installed.

Carr said people are, "very concerned about their health and the negative impact on their health of a smart meter."

The motion will be debated at council Wednesday.

Vancouver resident Joely Collins said she will be voicing her concerns at the meeting.

Collins said she's sensitive to wireless technology, which she said gives her headaches.

"I live in an apartment building and I live above the electrical room where there would be 26 of [the metres]. I'd have to move. I think it's outrageous," Collins said.

Smart meters uses wireless signals to relay power consumption information back to BC Hydro.

Motions have already been passed by 39 municipalities opposing the mandatory installations.

BC Hydro is under no legal obligation to abide by the municipal smart meter motions.
With files from the CBC's Meera Bains

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 1, 2012, 6:05 p.m.

since installing my smart meter my rates have gone down 49%

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

May 1, 2012, 6:17 p.m.

the tariffs haven't changed, it's just metering more accurately.

you might have previously been on a billing plan that averages your monthly usage over a year (for example if you have electric heat in winter), your spring/summer/fall bill would be higher each month, but you wouldn't be hit with ridiculously high bills each january.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

May 1, 2012, 6:25 p.m.

If you think she is wasting our time and money, let her know at [email protected]

I'm anxiously awaiting her reply.

May 1, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

since installing my smart meter my rates have gone down 49%

is this you being serious?….

if so peeddy cooh.

May 1, 2012, 6:35 p.m.

Is Tungsten sub contracting out his conspiracy posting?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 1, 2012, 6:44 p.m.

Is Tungsten sub contracting out his conspiracy posting?

land lord of the rings put up a "do not touch my meter" sign. from what he described it all sounds pretty nazi.

May 1, 2012, 7:29 p.m.

Do some research, they emit way more than that. You obviously believe BC Hydro and that is fine. It is costing 1 billion dollars for this, and because we are hit with a certain level of radiation it does not mean more is a good thing…more people today know more people with cancer and other problems, if you choose to think that more RF is good for us then put up a cell tower on your lawn and live under a power line. I personally don't think it is a good thing and glad they are moving towards letting us have a say and or choose to opt out.

It may be a waste to you but not to many people.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 1, 2012, 7:36 p.m.

It is costing 1 billion dollars for this, and because we are hit with a certain level of radiation it does not mean more is a good thing…more people today know more people with cancer and other problems, if you choose to think that more RF is good for us then put up a cell tower on your lawn and live under a power line.

That is one hell of a rambling run-on.

I personally don't think it is a good thing and glad they are moving towards letting us have a say and or choose to opt out.

It may be a waste to you but not to many people.

Quick: How much does a smart metre emit compared to the cumulative exposure you've endured to the cell phones you've used throughout your life?

KONY 2012!!

May 1, 2012, 7:37 p.m.

land lord of the rings put up a "do not touch my meter" sign. from what he described it all sounds pretty nazi.

Nazi? NAZI?? That was my wife who put up the "no touch" sign.
Then she told two neighbour ladies who put up their own signs, and then they told two friends, and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and they told two friends, until…………..

Councillor Adrianne Carr said she's been inundated with phone calls and emails from concerned citizens.

Carr said the intensity of the protest led her to introduce a motion that would allow Vancouverites to choose not to have the controversial meters installed.

We live in a democracy. I don't care how good the tech is supposed to be, ifn' folks don't want 'em, then the NAZIS at Hydro (you know, those nice folks who out-sourced Canadian jobs to Accenture of Enron fame) shouldn't be able to force us to accept them. Simple as that.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 1, 2012, 7:38 p.m.

We live in a democracy. I don't care how good the tech is supposed to be, ifn' folks don't want 'em, then the NAZIS at Hydro (you know, those nice folks who out-sourced Canadian jobs to Accenture of Enron fame) shouldn't be able to force us to accept them. Simple as that.

I agree. If they don't want power, they shouldn't have to buy it!

May 1, 2012, 7:44 p.m.

I agree. If they don't want power, they shouldn't have to buy it!

Well now if we taxed the wealthy like they do now in Onterrible and really socked it to the corporations properly power would be, just like health care, a human right.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 1, 2012, 8:02 p.m.

Do some research, they emit way more than that.

I work in wireless telecom - believe me, I know the Tx power of these things (in dB) and the gain of the antennas on them. I also know how many minutes/day they are active on average. They are no different in Tx power than the USB data modems you can get from Bell, Telus, Rogers, Mobilicity, etc. No different than a normal cellphone.

May 1, 2012, 8:17 p.m.

Well now if we taxed the wealthy like they do now in Onterrible and really socked it to the corporations properly power would be, just like health care, a human right.

Can you tell me what would happen if energy was free?

May 1, 2012, 8:26 p.m.

Can you tell me what would happen if energy was free?

I would stop nagging my wife to turn the fucking lights off? I would worry less about buying energy effecient computer parts and appliances?