Republicans pass bill to defund Obamacare.

Oct. 1, 2013, 12:15 a.m.

A good cheat sheet on what to worry about.

While partisans focus on specific things the other side is doing – "Obamacare" and the "debt ceiling" are the buzzwords of the day – the truth is that we wouldn't be in this budget crisis in the first place if the government hadn't engaged in bipartisan idiocy by…

Government Shutdown Caused By Bad Policy By Both Parties

Oct. 1, 2013, 9:43 a.m.

A good cheat sheet on what to worry about.

Government Shutdown Caused By Bad Policy By Both Parties

Although the bad budgeting practices are a bipartisan effort, that title is very misleading. The government shutdown is caused by only one thing, Republicans in congress. The bad policies listed caused the debt, but congress has forced the shutdown, not a lack of funds to make their payments. It should also be noted that the foray into Iraq and the expansion of medicare by Bush are the 2 largest factors in the current deficit by a large margin, so there may be blame to spread around, but 95% of it goes to the GOP.

I think this current trend to claim Independent status and put a pox on both houses is partly responsible for letting the TP controlled GOP get away with extortion. The news is constantly making this sound like a stand off between parties when it is anything but common practice.

Oct. 1, 2013, 11:31 a.m.

It's starting to become abundantly clear who's going to take it on the chin for the shutdown.

From the Daily News:

Oct. 1, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

Apparently 10 house Republicans are ready to flip and vote for a clean CR:

Rep. Pat Meehan (R-Pa.): “At this point, I believe it’s time for the House to vote for a clean, short-term funding bill to bring the Senate to the table and negotiate a responsible compromise.” [Press Release, 10/1/13]

Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.): “Time for a clean [continuing resolution].” [Official Twitter, 10/1/13]

Rep. Jon Runyan (R-N.J.): “Enough is enough. Put a clean [continuing resolution] on the floor and let’s get on with the business we were sent to do." [Burlington County Times, 10/1/13]

Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.): A Fitzpatrick aide tells the Philadelphia Inquirer the congressman would support a clean funding bill if it came up for a vote. [Philadelphia Inquirer, 10/1/13]

Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.): Barletta said he would "absolutely" vote for a clean bill in order to avert a shut down of the government. [Bethlehem Morning Call, 10/1/13]

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.): King thinks House Republicans would prefer to avoid a shutdown and said he will only vote for a clean continuing resolution to fund the government, according to the National Review Online. [NRO, 9/30/13]

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.): The California Republican told The Huffington Post he would ultimately support a clean continuing resolution. [Tweet by The Huffington Post's Sabrina Siddiqui, 9/30/13]

Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.): “I'm prepared to vote for a clean [continuing resolution].” [The Huffington Post, 9/29/13]

Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.): A Wolf aide told The Hill that he agrees with fellow Virginia Rep. Scott Rigell (R) that it's time for a clean continuing resolution. [The Hill, 10/1/13]

Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.): A Grimm aide told The Huffington Post that the congressman supports a clean continuing resolution. [10/1/13].

Just a few more and the house should be able to pass a clean CR and get sh*t back on track.

Oct. 1, 2013, 3:29 p.m.

Interesting how Farmer hasn't posted something blaming the "Uppity Black Man" in the Oval Office.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:11 p.m.

Although the bad budgeting practices are a bipartisan effort, that title is very misleading. The government shutdown is caused by only one thing, Republicans in congress.

Republicans passed a resolution that was rejected by Democrats. The last possible resolution (fix) was either:

All new Bipartisan resolution

Or

Republican resolution agreed upon by Democrats.

If you're stuck in this blame one side or the other deal, you're part of the problem.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:19 p.m.

If you're stuck in this blame one side or the other deal, you're part of the problem.

But one thing is for certain, those two parties love it when people do that.

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:20 p.m.

Damn right.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

Republicans passed a resolution that was rejected by Democrats. The last possible resolution (fix) was either:

Or

These "Republicans" have tried to roll back affordable care more than 40 times, all failing. They've now tacked that onto keeping the government running, which is the wrong place to do it (besides being the wrong thing to do for the 42nd time). Even senior members of the Republican party recognize that this is wrong. Two out of three branches of the government say no.

If these people could prorogue parliament, they'd be all over that.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:33 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2scvIFGjE

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

Or

Incorrect.

Oct. 1, 2013, 5:16 p.m.

Not nearly as certain as seeing another Ritholtz gem in a thread about the US

Oct. 1, 2013, 5:51 p.m.

What I want to know is why we would ever want to bring back these non-essential parts of the government?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Oct. 1, 2013, 6:14 p.m.

What I want to know is why we would ever want to bring back these non-essential parts of the government?

You mean like National Parks and NASA?

Oct. 1, 2013, 6:15 p.m.

Like the Congress?

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells