Republicans pass bill to defund Obamacare.

Sept. 23, 2013, 3:59 p.m.

You folks are confusing GT with Farmer.

Unpossible.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 23, 2013, 9:34 p.m.

I might be one…hide yer sheep and ducats, I'm coming to town.

I'm cool like that cuz I always say the family that prays together … isn't in the lineup in front of you for the skyline chair on sundays

edit:somebody stuck the "sold" sign back on yer house

in any society there will be people on the bottom because someone has to be, your job if you decide to acept it is to not be there

but consider that how you treat those people on the bottom will determine your own quality of life, Canada is a kinder gentler place than the Excited States would anybody rather live in the US they could just go there like farmer but I gotta ask … is he gona be there in 5 years?

Or how about South africa, sure you can get a real nice house cheap but does anybody really want to live there ?

Sept. 24, 2013, 11:08 a.m.

I'm cool like that cuz I always say the family that prays together … isn't in the lineup in front of you for the skyline chair on sundays

edit:somebody stuck the "sold" sign back on yer house

in any society there will be people on the bottom because someone has to be, your job if you decide to acept it is to not be there

but consider that how you treat those people on the bottom will determine your own quality of life, Canada is a kinder gentler place than the Excited States would anybody rather live in the US they could just go there like farmer but I gotta ask … is he gona be there in 5 years?

Or how about South africa, sure you can get a real nice house cheap but does anybody really want to live there ?

Yeah but in what other first world country can you accessorize your wardrobe with a handgun!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 26, 2013, 1:20 a.m.

Yeah but in what other first world country can you accessorize your wardrobe with a handgun!

pfft, who needs a handgun if you can have a semi-automatic?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 26, 2013, 2:51 a.m.

It's all about speaking for 24 hours about green eggs and ham.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2013, 2:59 a.m.

It's all about speaking for 24 hours about green eggs and ham.

Don't forget shoes and school books.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 26, 2013, 3:20 a.m.

Can anyone explain what he was doing there? The vote was already scheduled, so that wasn't a filibuster.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 26, 2013, 5:37 a.m.

The title should read "Republicans pass bill to prevent US Government from shutting down"

Obamacare is extremely unpopular. My health coverage is expected to do one of two things in the next couple years thanks to Obamacare, either have a rate increase, or suffer less coverage. My company already provides the best benefits of any private employer in the county, yet we will suffer so that the deadbeats who we pay to have sit at home all day can eat themselves to death and have the rest of us flip the bill for their health insurance.
Obama: One Big Ass Mistake America.

He is part of the solution. The problem is too many entitled pricks sit on their asses looking for " their fair share"
From the pockets of those that work for a living.

People that work hard to get ahead are being turned into villains for their hard work and success.

The USA is fucked, stick a fork in them, they're done.

So is he. How is advocating for the repeal of a law that would deny all poor people, a small percentage of whom may just be 'lazy', a subsidy to buy insurance not lumping them together as well?

The fact of the matter is, until you devise a system to determine who is poor by choice, and who is poor by circumstance, which would incidentally require a new, massive, government organization, the poor and the lazy are inextricable. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

To advocate for a position that would add to the suffering of the 'justifiably poor' to punish the 'lazy' is decidedly un-Christian.

hate to tell you guys this,but GT never advocated for the repeal of any laws.

He did suggest that more people needed to take responsibility for themselves and he did counter the typical description of Christians that is so common on this board.

….and no,Splinky, I won't stop defending GT when folks are picking on him because they don't agree with him.

Its especially cute to see a few of you take weak jabs from behind the heavy hitters.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 26, 2013, 7 a.m.

but see, the problem isn't "too many entitled pricks" sitting on their asses not wanting to work, pssst there's to few jobs anymore. It's the entitled pricks in power funnelling money to their military corporate industrial masters while the unwashed masses fight over the scraps. The whole premise of his argument is flawed, imo.

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:24 a.m.

Can anyone explain what he was doing there? The vote was already scheduled, so that wasn't a filibuster.

He was using up all of the debate time before the cloture motion in some kind of mock filibuster. It was essentially just a stunt to try and win back the Tea Party favorite moniker after Rand Paul's filibuster a few weeks ago. Those two are both going to be in the Republican Presidential Primary in 2016 so the Cruz team probably wanted a "I stood in the senate for ___ hours against Obamacare…. blah blah blah" moment to talk about on the stump. Problem is, he turned around and voted for the bill after talking about how bad it was for 21 hours.

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:35 a.m.

He was using up all of the debate time before the cloture motion in some kind of mock filibuster. It was essentially just a stunt to try and win back the Tea Party favorite moniker after Rand Paul's filibuster a few weeks ago. Those two are both going to be in the Republican Presidential Primary in 2016 so the Cruz team probably wanted a "I stood in the senate for ___ hours against Obamacare…. blah blah blah" moment to talk about on the stump. Problem is, he turned around and voted for the bill after talking about how bad it was for 21 hours.

so stupidly hilarious and sad

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:53 a.m.

hate to tell you guys this,but GT never advocated for the repeal of any laws.

He did suggest that more people needed to take responsibility for themselves and he did counter the typical description of Christians that is so common on this board.

….and no,Splinky, I won't stop defending GT when folks are picking on him because they don't agree with him.

Its especially cute to see a few of you take weak jabs from behind the heavy hitters.

Maybe it will help if you tell us which guys are out of line.

Is it OK to point out that the cost of welfare cheats compared to the cost of lobbying (and its results), bank bailouts and illegal wars is like comparing a lighter to the sun?

Sept. 26, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

but see, the problem isn't "too many entitled pricks" sitting on their asses not wanting to work, pssst there's to few jobs anymore. It's the entitled pricks in power funnelling money to their military corporate industrial masters while the unwashed masses fight over the scraps. The whole premise of his argument is flawed, imo.

I think america fighting 2 needless wars and the whole credit swap thing did way more damage to america than some people living on the dole in a trailer park ?

those people who scammed all that money also seem to be smart enough to blame it all on the people living on the dole in a trailer park?

anybody who is stupid enough to think they could quit the job, drink budlight lime while quading [HTML_REMOVED] fishing all day shouldn't be that hard to fool?

GT could have quit playing the butthurt christian any time but he seemed to revel in it like a dog rolling in shit

Sept. 26, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

1. his debate does not hold water and he has not been able to offer any credible evidence to back up his position. the "evidence" he has offeredis flawed research and opinion/conjecture. he needs to show numbers and he hasn't done that.

2. he's getting picked on because he's turning a blind eye to the counter evidence being presented to him not because it isn't valid info, but because he doesn't like that it invalidates his position.

3. while there have been a some jabs tossed about, he has been equal party to that. i'd dare say the way he opened up this debate invited the treatment he's received.

up till now i've been somewhat neutral in this "debate". and it really isn't debate as there's no evidence on GT's (and Farmer's) counter point to make it a debate, it's all opionion. sitting on the outside with nothing invested in the topic makes it easy to see this.

does that mean i think GT is a gasbag or a bad person? no, i actually like the guy and think he's a good dude. but, he's letting his own personal beliefs get in the way of rational thought. FFS, his first retort to CS was an assumption about an assumption that wasn't even there on CS's side in the first place! the vitriol with which he replied was completely unnecessary and he could have made his point without it. what did heavy pedal say just a week or two ago, attack the position not the person?

i get what you're trying to achieve here tacklebox but this is definitely the wrong example to use.

again GT's main premise is that there are too many lazy people sucking the gov't dry of it's money. he has brought ZERO evidence to support that while many of the others have brought evidence to supprt their position which is opposite his. the rest of the thread is just garbage name calling.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 26, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

Can anyone also explain why Ted Cruz voted in favour of the funding bill that he railed against for 21 hours?

"He spent more than 21 straight hours railing against any government funding for Obamacare. Then Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas joined the other 99 senators from both parties in voting Wednesday to move ahead on a spending plan expected to do just that."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/25/politics/shutdown-showdown/

The system and the people in it are fucked.