Republicans pass bill to defund Obamacare.

Sept. 23, 2013, 12:57 p.m.

Any real Christians I know wouldn't be caught dead blatantly advocating against and/or demonizing the poor on the internet. One overwhelming constant in the new testament of the bible is that you take care of your sick, hungry and poor. If you think Jesus would support cutting food assistance for the 47 million poor receiving food stamps, just to keep one guy from buying steak and crab legs, you're sadly mistaken. Similarly, denying thousand of poor people healthcare, simply to stop a few isolated cases of fraud.

You can't be a Christian when its convenient to play the victim card while simultaneously advocating against one of the very cornerstones Christianity. Just saying.

Dennis Miller commented similarly about how it seemed like they always shelved things like the 10 Commandments when ever it seemed to convenient. As he put it,

It isn't the 10 Commandments and The 85 Footnotes.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 23, 2013, 12:58 p.m.

Any real Christians I know wouldn't be caught dead blatantly advocating against and/or demonizing the poor on the internet. One overwhelming constant in the new testament of the bible is that you take care of your sick, hungry and poor. If you think Jesus would support cutting food assistance for the 47 million poor receiving food stamps, just to keep one guy from buying steak and crab legs, you're sadly mistaken. Similarly, denying thousand of poor people healthcare, simply to stop a few isolated cases of fraud.

You can't be a Christian when its convenient to play the victim card while simultaneously advocating against one of the very cornerstones Christianity. Just saying.

damn straight. All these repub 'christians' are a disgrace and need to go back to sunday school and learn what the hell their messiah was actually preaching.

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

Am i the only person to wonder why there are no left wing Christians
?

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

Omfg, you dingbats are so far off the point GT was making that its not even funny anymore.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

?

I might be one…hide yer sheep and ducats, I'm coming to town.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

?

:lol: There are tons of Left wing Christians. 77% of Canadians identify themselves as Christians, last time I checked, the Cons certainly weren't elected with those numbers. Same as the US (73-76%).

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

Omfg, you dingbats are so far off the point GT was making that its not even funny anymore.

You mean this point?

The multi generational lazy assed welfare families are hurting the working poor more than the well off by sucking up money that could be used to help those with low incomes.

I suggest you read JBazett's posts again. Specifically around the percentages of that type of fraud and how the R party uses statistically insignificant cases to create this type of false narrative. Oh hell, I'll just quote his post for you.

I think that your Wife's story is that of the overwhelming majority of people who have used the system at some point in their life. Right wingers have been perpetuating the myth of the welfare queens for decades now, they trot out one example or another of someone taking advantage of the system and use them as a brush to paint anyone else using the system as abusers and freeloaders. Even though the the majority of people (68%) who are on some form of social assistance have recently paid into the system themselves are seniors or veterans. You may be asking, what is the welfare fraud estimate in the US? Most cities tracking fraud rates are reporting less than 2% (Philedelphia, which has reported on the high side, found that out of 95,000 recipients there were between 200 and 300 cases of fraud each year).

add to that the fact that most of the 'low income benifits' are not paid-in-cash…

Kind of dispels the myth of the Cadillac driving welfare queen when 10% of the portion of assistance allocated to low-income recipients (29%) is given in cash, with an estimated 2-3% fraud rate.

Look at what the house did recently with the food stamp debates. They used one unsubstantiated story of someone buying crab legs and steaks with food stamps and used that narrative to cut food stamp funding for the poor by 40 Billion over the next ten years, while recent statistics have the top one percent of the populations earning a greater share of income then at any time in human history. The irony is that some of the representatives cutting the food stamp program have taxpayer funded food allowances exceeding $200 PER DAY and they are cutting funding for people who have a maximum of $200 PER MONTH subsidy (most recipients don't even qualify for that). Which by the way, food stamps have proven to be one of the most stimulative forms of assistance because every dollar given is spent (unlike tax cuts for the wealthy who largely just save the additional income, probably in giant coin banks, see illustration below).

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

No they aren't.

"I said there are too many lazy asses fucks sitting on their asses ( not working at all) sucking the nation dry that feel their fair share is in people like Brians wallets…"

Pointing out that this is costing us pennies relative to other expenditures makes sense if this is to be a two-sided discussion.

But as is almost always the case, when one discovers their position in a discussion is highly tenable, retreat with ad hominem likely ensues.

Sincerely,
Dingbat.

Sept. 23, 2013, 1:28 p.m.

please, enlighten us then, instead of calling us dingbats.

Sept. 23, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

While all you Americans try to chase away the welfare abusers that are taking all your hard earned cash the corporations that you coddle are laughing all the way to the bank. The Average American Family Pays $6,000 a Year in Subsidies to Big Business.

When it comes to health care, making sure your population has access to it regardless of their income is just common decency IMO.

Sept. 23, 2013, 2:16 p.m.

please, enlighten us then, instead of calling us dingbats.

Fact: you guys are lumping the lazy in the same pile as the poor. GT takes exception to this, farmer says they're all ripping around on quads while he's at work.

You folks are confusing GT with Farmer. You owe GT an apology.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 23, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

Fact: you guys are lumping the lazy in the same pile as the poor. GT takes exception to this, farmer says they're all ripping around on quads while he's at work.

I said there are too many lazy asses fucks sitting on their asses ( not working at all) sucking the nation dry that feel their fair share is in people like Brians wallets…

He also said stuff like that.

Sept. 23, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

Fact: you guys are lumping the lazy in the same pile as the poor. GT takes exception to this.

So is he. How is advocating for the repeal of a law that would deny all poor people, a small percentage of whom may just be 'lazy', a subsidy to buy insurance not lumping them together as well?

The fact of the matter is, until you devise a system to determine who is poor by choice, and who is poor by circumstance, which would incidentally require a new, massive, government organization, the poor and the lazy are inextricable. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

To advocate for a position that would add to the suffering of the 'justifiably poor' to punish the 'lazy' is decidedly un-Christian.

Sept. 23, 2013, 3:16 p.m.

He also said stuff like that.

…And what else did he say?

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 23, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

…And what else did he say?

Now I am confused. As debate moderator I think you should have indicated at the start which points of GTs we were allowed to discuss.