Republicans pass bill to defund Obamacare.

Nov. 22, 2013, 3:56 p.m.

Low spending growth might be affected by economic downturn.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 22, 2013, 4:16 p.m.

Low spending growth might be affected by economic downturn.

Hence the 'in part' near the end of the quoted text.

Nov. 22, 2013, 10:53 p.m.

21 Ways the Canadian Health Care System is Better than Obamacare - by Ralph Nader

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 23, 2013, 12:26 a.m.

Where's the part about Canada only have 9 month waiting lists for an MRI on a bad knee, whereas in the USA it's days?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2013, 5:45 a.m.

Where's the part about Canada only have 9 month waiting lists for an MRI on a bad knee, whereas in the USA it's days?

Is it down to 9 months now? It was 18 months to two years when I needed one a few years back. When I looked at paying $1/ day to be out of pain, $700 for the private clinic in north van seemed like a great deal.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 23, 2013, 9:26 a.m.

Neither I, nor my wife needed to wait 9 months for ours.

Guess we're just nicer people.

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

It's called triage, folks. That's where those in greatest need are treated first, rather than those with the most money or insurance coverage.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

Neither I, nor my wife needed to wait 9 months for ours.

Guess we're just nicer people.

So how long was your wait?

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:39 a.m.

Three months and six months.

Neither were life threatening.

Nov. 23, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

OK, six months instead of nine is definitely much better…

_On a global scope, Canada’s patients are waiting longer than most of their counterparts in first world countries, the report notes.

It points to a 2010 Commonwealth Fund Survey of 11 countries: Canada had the highest proportion – 25 per cent – of patients reporting a wait of more than four months for elective surgery.

The United Kingdom followed at 21 per cent. On the other end was Germany with a zero per cent wait time and the United States at seven per cent._

http://globalnews.ca/news/370638/more-canadians-getting-surgery-but-wait-times-havent-budged-report-says/

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

Canada had the highest proportion – 25 per cent – of patients reporting a wait of more than four months for elective surgery.

So, not emergency surgery, or medically necessary surgery? Hey, the system ain't perfect, and could sure use a few tweaks, but let's take a pragmatic approach here.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 23, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

I guess limping around for a few months is OK; doesn't affect quality of life.

Wait times for emergency surgery are also greater in Canada than the USA.

Worse is if you live in areas outside of Vancouver.

I'd be for a tax increase if it improved our health care system. More preventative medicine and shorter wait times for access to health care professionals and services.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2013, 4:01 p.m.

Wait times for emergency surgery are also greater in Canada than the USA.

Worse is if you live in areas outside of Vancouver.

I'd be for a tax increase if it improved our health care system. More preventative medicine and shorter wait times for access to health care professionals and services.

I'd also be game for a tax increase if it went to improving our healthcare system. Problem is, I don't think there has been a politician in the modern era who was elected on a platform of raising taxes, in fact it's almost always the opposite. But look at it this way, if we spent what the US was spending per capita, we'd have the best care in the world, bar none.

Canada's system outperforms the American system in just about EVERY other measurable category (the US also has marginally better cancer outcomes) other than wait times, which clearly don't have that big of an effect as our outcomes overall are still measurably better despite of that fact.

So yeah, you may limp a little bit longer, but chances are that your surgery will be more successful, cost you less with no risk of the insurers denying you care and making you pay out of pocket. Most people would consider that as a reasonable trade off.

Let's be honest too, our form of triage isn't that effective as we don't have any sort of rationing, despite what right wing rhetoric would have you believe. My wife works at our local hospital and you would be shocked and dismayed by how many 90 year olds get total hip and knee replacements, only to never recover their mobility and 'fail to thrive' at the hospital and wind up taking up beds while waiting to be transferred to extended care, while people of working age sit on the wait list behind them. If we prioritized elective care based on the age and physical ability of the patients instead of simply first-come-first-serve, wait times for working age people would be greatly reduced.

Nov. 23, 2013, 6:40 p.m.

I really hope my sarcasm meter is broker here and you aren't really as fucking stupid as the quoted sentence makes you sound.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 23, 2013, 7 p.m.

Wait times for emergency surgery are also greater in Canada than the USA..

Bogus statement above is bogus because the it doesn't consider the un-insured in America who simply die on the hospital lawn with their emergency.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.