reporting posts

Feb. 21, 2021, 2:04 p.m.

Does anyone know how to report a post these days on the forum? There used to be a button to click but I can't seem to find anything. Just asking as there has been a lot of bots floating through lately.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 26, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

Hi, apologies for the slow response. There is no "report post" function in the forum at the moment 🙁

We do have anti-spam measures in place and most of it gets caught in the filter. Posts that slip through are often still caught and removed automatically as we continuously update our list of known spammer IPs. But some are really smart and difficult to detect. I try to keep an eye on the forum and the filter to manually fix false positives that get caught or spam posts that slips through.

You can always shoot me an email or a PM if you see something you think should be removed.

Feb. 26, 2021, 5:58 p.m.

Word, now let’s get that ignore user feature back!

March 4, 2021, 9:18 a.m.

My preference would be to eventually migrate to Discourse forum software. See https://try.discourse.org/ for a demo. It's very feature rich, has a modern interface and I find it very pleasant to use. Have a look at the demo and let me know what you guys think.

Please be aware that right now this is just me thinking out loud. From a quick look we should be able to make it work with our site but it would cost time to set it up. Unfortunately, time is something I'm in short supply of. So I don't see it happening in the short term. But it would probably be a better time investment than trying to improve the current forum software IMHO.

Last edited by: [email protected] on March 4, 2021, 9:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 4, 2021, 9:28 a.m.

Someone's not gonna be happy about the "community moderation" feature.....

But all of the other forum members will be. ;D

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on March 4, 2021, 9:29 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 4, 2021, 9:50 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

My preference would be to eventually migrate to Discourse forum software. See https://try.discourse.org/ for a demo. It's very feature rich, has a modern interface and I find it very pleasant to use. Have a look at the demo and let me know what you guys think.

Please be aware that right now this is just me thinking out loud. From a quick look we should be able to make it work with our site but it would cost time to set it up. Unfortunately, time is something I'm in short supply of. So I don't see it happening in the short term. But it would probably be a better time investment than trying to improve the current forum software IMHO.

Seems like a good idea:-). Lots of work, I'm sure.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/look-at-this-forum-141/?post=2776#post-2776

March 4, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

Seems like a good idea:-). Lots of work, I'm sure.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/look-at-this-forum-141/?post=2776#post-2776

Ha!  Mea culpa. The forum migration was handled poorly, I think we all agree on that. Time to look forward.

I think it would be worth investing time in this if it would satisfy most people's wishes and would run without too much maintenance once it's set up.

March 7, 2021, 4:18 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Yeah this would definitely improve QOL around here.

March 9, 2021, 10:11 a.m.

I like that you can upload pics directly to a post in Discourse.  I am always too lazy for the extra steps.

March 9, 2021, 11:04 a.m.

wasn’t all this change back then to have an integrated user system? you could have just updated the old software you know, and kept some users...

March 9, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I like that you can upload pics directly to a post in Discourse.  I am always too lazy for the extra steps.

Yes a lot of people have asked for a better way to add pictures to comments and forum posts.

March 10, 2021, 4:14 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

second.

March 11, 2021, 1:49 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Yes a lot of people have asked for a better way to add pictures to comments and forum posts.

another great feature would be a forum that actually transfers you to the first new post in a thread from where you left at your last visit. this works here only around half the time

March 11, 2021, 4:05 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

another great feature would be a forum that actually transfers you to the first new post in a thread from where you left at your last visit. this works here only around half the time

Absolutely!

March 11, 2021, 11:21 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Someone's not gonna be happy about the "community moderation" feature.....

But all of the other forum members will be. ;D

The silence would be deafening.