replacing a hot water tank

Dec. 6, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

My tank is 9 years old and i'd like to replace before it blows up all over the floor. How much should one expect to pay for a 40-50 gallon gas, replacement? Or anyone here a plumber and want to do it in Port Moody?

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 6, 2013, 11:03 a.m.

Have you considered an on-demand hot water heater? Why/why not?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 6, 2013, 11:11 a.m.

I can't remember what I paid when I had to buy one, but Wolseley Mechanical near Clark St has pretty decent pricing for plumbing supplies. Pretty close to contractor prices. They have lots of HW tanks in stock.

In-line heaters are great, but if you don't have gas to the house, not so great.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 6, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

Do on-demand units hit the cost vs savings to make them worth while yet?

Last I checked they were a fair bit more upfront for the unit.

Dec. 6, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

on demand can work well in certain situations, for example long draws of hot water are awesome. but, if you only need a small amount of hot water they can be a pita as it can take more time for the hot water to arrive at the source. some of this can mitigated depending on the design and layout of your water supply system though.

consider your needs and do some research to see if tankless is the way to go.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 6, 2013, 12:22 p.m.

When buddy replaced the furnace I had a tray put under my tank so in the event of a leak water would not soak everything

I also replaced the washer hoses with SS hoses

Dec. 6, 2013, 12:37 p.m.

On demand hot water heaters also have different venting requirements as they are condensing

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

Do on-demand units hit the cost vs savings to make them worth while yet?

Last I checked they were a fair bit more upfront for the unit.

No. Plus you need to get them serviced annually as well. My dad looked into one and the payback was around 10+yrs. The same company sold both on demand systems, gas tanks and electric tanks, and explained the costs associated with each one. Gas tank was replaced with a new electric model

Someone lost their shit a few months back when I bumped another thread about them.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:18 p.m.

No. Plus you need to get them serviced annually as well. My dad looked into one and the payback was around 10+yrs. The same company sold both on demand systems, gas tanks and electric tanks, and explained the costs associated with each one. Gas tank was replaced with a new electric model

Someone lost their shit a few months back when I bumped another thread about them.

To confirm/paraphrase for clarity:
On-demand systems need to be serviced annually
Payback for on-demand systems was around 10 years
Gas tanks were typically replaced by electric tanks

Is this what you meant?
Assuming an on-demand system worked well, the buy-in cost for me to free up an entire closet in a condo might be worth it.

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:30 p.m.

To confirm/paraphrase for clarity:
On-demand systems need to be serviced annually
Payback for on-demand systems was around 10 years
Gas tanks were typically replaced by electric tanks

Is this what you meant?
Assuming an on-demand system worked well, the buy-in cost for me to free up an entire closet in a condo might be worth it.

That would likely be one expensive closet.
No I meant he replaced a gas tank with an electric tank. I recall service was/is ~$75 in small-town BC. If you already have a gas range or fireplace it could be worth it. Oh I believe the unit has to be mounted on an exterior wall for venting as well.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

That would likely be one expensive closet.
No I meant he replaced a gas tank with an electric tank. I recall service was/is ~$75 in small-town BC. If you already have a gas range or fireplace it could be worth it. Oh I believe the unit has to be mounted on an exterior wall for venting as well.

Really? I would think getting a crapload of extra storage space for $500 is a reasonable deal when you consider what some renos cost. Or what renting a storage locker costs…

So is the consensus that gas is better for both tanks and on-demand systems (presuming you have gas available)?

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

I was thinking of just replacing gas 50 gallon tank with another - but we are also thinking of fixing up the room it's in, into a kids lair type place. Tankless may free up some space but it's much more $$ and I don't like the annual maintenance.

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:49 p.m.

If you look at an on-demand unit, you'll need to ensure you have line voltage electrical available.

In the interests of economy, there is nothing wrong with replacing your existing tank with the same. If you can even go from a 40 gal to a 50 gal that's a huge increase in capacity for a small investment, plus any new tank is going to be more efficient.

Don't forget the gas permit if you have a gas unit. It's required even for replacement tanks.

Dec. 6, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

I'm assuming a gas permit if you're going to do it yourself? I don't have the skillz for that….

Dec. 6, 2013, 3:24 p.m.

Kinda surprised that a new electric tank came out on top over a new gas tank. But I have not looked to closely at the numbers for awhile.

We have a gas tank and an older gas furnace now, when we reno the basement they'll both get moved east about ten feet. I like the concept of on-demand hot water for saved space and potential some energy savings. Hard to swallow a big upfront cost, especially when it will be coupled with an extensive reno.