renting a house to a bunch of rowdy whippersnappers?

June 19, 2004, 3:35 p.m.

The housing market in the town I live in (Prince Rupert) has really hit rock bottom, with lots of empty places, and just as many people clamouring to sell and get the f' outta dodge.

I have been watching the classifieds for a place to rent for a while, and after seeing tons of places for $400 a month for a 1 or 2 bedroom suite in a cheesy neighbourhoods and all sorts of other lame setups, I decided the way to go would be to get a couple friends and rent a super creamy pad with a killer view.

I found a place to rent, 4 bedrooms, awesome view, 2 car garage, basement, etc. but I am dubious that the owners will be willing to rent to us, given our ages and facial hair distribution ( a telling sign to old folks of rowdy tendencies )…

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice to make us look more respectable in the eyes of the landlord, because we are NOT going to trash the place, we are all younger people (19-21), but know how to respect peoples scenes and know that the way the world works is if you break it, you cant slough the responsibility off on others.

I am also curious about how the rental agreement might work, because I am going to be the principle person negotiating it, but I dont want my name to be solely responsible for anything if it does hit the fan.

Does anyone have any experience with this? or peoples reluctance (or lack thereof) to rent to young people who look like jerks? or just post up a story about how you rented a house with 10 of your friends, and 6 months later you all had to change your names and flee the country because the landlord put a hit out on you for turning it into an open-air solarium…

son of a stromatolite !

June 19, 2004, 4:31 p.m.

1. look respectable.

dont show up with a hangover wearing a ripped jeans and a marilyn manson t-shirt and a backwards cap. wear a nice pair of pants and a collared button up shirt.

think of it as an interview except its for a house not a job.

and if they ask if you plan on partying do lie and say no. be honest and say that you might occasionally have a few people over for beers but nothing loud and rowdy.

good luck.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 19, 2004, 4:34 p.m.

Look them in the eye when saying the above^^^^

So many freaks, so few circuses.

June 19, 2004, 5:40 p.m.

Make sure all the people that are living there have their names on the lease, that way no single person is left holding the bag.

Something that helped make my last landlords feel more comfortable was the fact that I had overdraft protection on my checking account. That way if there isn't enough money in the account, the check will still clear and help save the landlord a lot of hassle dealing with NSF checks.

If you do end up breaking something (if you do get to live there) don't hide it, be honest with the landlord and tell them what happened. Yeah, you will have to fix it, but you won't lose youe security deposit when you move out and the place is trashed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

June 19, 2004, 9:47 p.m.

Dude rupert rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My mom and dad and both their families are from rupert and everyone my parents know are from there. If you ever run into a big red headed dude there named Ian Newton tell him that his cousin chris says hi.

Originally posted by Coop
**The housing market in the town I live in (Prince Rupert) has really hit rock bottom, with lots of empty places, and just as many people clamouring to sell and get the f' outta dodge.

I have been watching the classifieds for a place to rent for a while, and after seeing tons of places for $400 a month for a 1 or 2 bedroom suite in a cheesy neighbourhoods and all sorts of other lame setups, I decided the way to go would be to get a couple friends and rent a super creamy pad with a killer view.

I found a place to rent, 4 bedrooms, awesome view, 2 car garage, basement, etc. but I am dubious that the owners will be willing to rent to us, given our ages and facial hair distribution ( a telling sign to old folks of rowdy tendencies )…

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice to make us look more respectable in the eyes of the landlord, because we are NOT going to trash the place, we are all younger people (19-21), but know how to respect peoples scenes and know that the way the world works is if you break it, you cant slough the responsibility off on others.

I am also curious about how the rental agreement might work, because I am going to be the principle person negotiating it, but I dont want my name to be solely responsible for anything if it does hit the fan.

Does anyone have any experience with this? or peoples reluctance (or lack thereof) to rent to young people who look like jerks? or just post up a story about how you rented a house with 10 of your friends, and 6 months later you all had to change your names and flee the country because the landlord put a hit out on you for turning it into an open-air solarium… **

June 20, 2004, 9:33 p.m.

hahaha ok, i used to play hockey against ian.

id say "small world" but.. maybe like "small province" is mroe applicable.

son of a stromatolite !