Remembrance Day and Religious Freedom

Nov. 13, 2012, 5:04 a.m.

Can we not show respect for ours Vets without having it turn into a Church service?

NO.

Remembrance day for them,the Veterans….not your PC sensitive feelings.

We do it the way they want it.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:42 a.m.

They do. The problem is Tungsten feels left out and needs his attention whore fix. So he posts up trolling as usual and gets all excited with the responses.

Thanks, now I have this image of some 20-seomething pathetic guy wearing an argyle sweater
from Abercrombe, a vintage headband, dark wash skinny jeans, moccasins with ironic glasses
and a stupid hairdo fapping every time someone argues with him.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:38 a.m.

I grew up in a very Seventh Day Adventist home, went to only SDA schools until grad school, and am now employed as a teacher at an SDA school. (I am agnostic with secular humanist leanings). We celebrate all kinds of stuff.

Sorry for the threadjack, but adventists don't get mentioned often, wanted to say soemthing. PM me for insider accounts of any aspect of adventism you want.

Meh … that was the story I got from the JW family we lived across the street from. Honestly, don't even know if there's a difference between JW and SDA and don't really care. I despise all religions equally.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 13, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

Not the thread for this.

Respect the fallen, leave the politicking for another place.

Absolutely the proper thread for this. Did you even read it?

Just because you two are unfamiliar with the presentation and discourse does not make it any less valid than the mainstream ceremonies you're used to. Are you suggesting the veterans who attend alternate ceremonies are not worthy of respect?

Interesting that the mainstream events don't seem to have dulled young mens desire to go kill for God and country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27x25sdW9wQ

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 13, 2012, 10:53 a.m.

There are at least a few very very large differences between JW and SDA. I can give you links if you want.

Sometimes it's difficult. But I keep at it because I want kids to know that they can lead good lives without being crazy or irrational or whatever. It helps that I'm the computer and art teacher, so I get to talk about logic and reasoning in one set of classes, and expressing universal feelings (love, sadness) in the other.

I'm tired of religion, and I genuinely hate the bullshitters. I try to remember that religious people are often more lost than non religious people, and try to decrease suffering without imparting a "you have to believe in MY version of the flying spaghetti monster" kind of attitude.

Once again sorry for the threadjack.

www.vitalmtb.com

Nov. 13, 2012, 7:10 p.m.

NO.

Remembrance day for them,the Veterans….not your PC sensitive feelings.

What the fuck this has to do with "PC" I don't know? Just one of your usual catch all/know nothing phrases. Not sensitive at all. I just don't feel like being sucker punched into a Church service when I'm going to pay respect in a non-church atmosphere (again out side service). What does combining war and God accomplish?

So you are saying ALL vets believe in God and the "power" of prayer?

You presume to speak for a large distinguished group by answering the question in that manner. You a Vet or …

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:08 p.m.

We should remember everyone that died.

We should consider soldiers on both sides who were put in to battle by powerful men.

Of course remember the soldiers of the allied forces but we should also consider the German boys conscripted and brainwashed into Naziism. The Japanese kamikaze pilots who cried out for their mothers just before dying in a fireball. Holocaust victims, be they Jewish, Gypsy or homosexual. The incredible casualties suffered by Russia. Casualties of wars that have happened since. Middle East civilian casualties, modern American soldiers who are also victims of a type of brainwashing.

Everyone involved in deadly conflicts deserves consideration and sympathy. Everyone.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:52 p.m.

The day was specifically dedicated by King George V on 7 November 1919 as a day of remembrance for members of the armed forces who were killed during World War I. This was possibly done upon the suggestion of Edward George Honey to Wellesley Tudor Pole, who established two ceremonial periods of remembrance based on events in 1917.[2]

just sayin'

IMO you want a day to acknowledge other peoples suffering for whatever war. Make one up.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:01 p.m.

What the fuck this has to do with "PC" I don't know? Just one of your usual catch all/know nothing phrases. Not sensitive at all. I just don't feel like being sucker punched into a Church service when I'm going to pay respect in a non-church atmosphere (again out side service). What does combining war and God accomplish?

So you are saying ALL vets believe in God and the "power" of prayer?

You presume to speak for a large distinguished group by answering the question in that manner. You a Vet or …

Canada's military AND veterans choose to include prayer in the services. It's not up to you or me.

It's not like all of the sudden there were prayers at Remembrance services. I should remind you that remembrance day is only observed in primarily Christian countries and Israel. Are you surprised that prayer is part of these memorial services?

You can choose to honour our vets however you may choose,but if prayer offends you,stay home next year.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:04 p.m.

We should remember everyone that died.

We should consider soldiers on both sides who were put in to battle by powerful men.

Of course remember the soldiers of the allied forces but we should also consider the German boys conscripted and brainwashed into Naziism. The Japanese kamikaze pilots who cried out for their mothers just before dying in a fireball. Holocaust victims, be they Jewish, Gypsy or homosexual. The incredible casualties suffered by Russia. Casualties of wars that have happened since. Middle East civilian casualties, modern American soldiers who are also victims of a type of brainwashing.

Everyone involved in deadly conflicts deserves consideration and sympathy. Everyone.

this….but god forbid anyone prays for their souls….

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:29 p.m.

this….but god forbid anyone prays for their souls….

Everyone should be able to reflect on the day however they want, as long as people are showing respect there should be no problem.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

Everyone should be able to reflect on the day however they want, as long as people are showing respect there should be no problem.

win

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 13, 2012, 10:32 p.m.

Canada's military AND veterans choose to include prayer in the services. It's not up to you or me.

It's not like all of the sudden there were prayers at Remembrance services. I should remind you that remembrance day is only observed in primarily Christian countries and Israel. Are you surprised that prayer is part of these memorial services?

You can choose to honour our vets however you may choose,but if prayer offends you,stay home next year.

You answered none of my questions.

And no shit remembrance day is only observed in primarily Christian countries and Israel. It's a Commonwealth Observance! Don't worry though. They only play "God Save the Queen" once.

If you care to read again I did say I understand that there will be praying, so of course I'm not surprised. I was just stating that I thought I was attending a Remembrance Day ceremony, not a Church service.

How many prayers by different Church Leaders went down at the ceremony you attended?

I talked with a friend about it who took part in UN actions like Golan Heights and Yugoslavia. His answer: "You gotta have something to help you over the trench when you're charging to your death". The necessity of Religion in war.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Nov. 13, 2012, 10:35 p.m.

win

Very true. It is about respect.

I thought it was about veterans not what "god" you followed.

That's what I thought too…

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:31 p.m.

Just because you have freedom does not mean you get to act like a selfish jack ass.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/13/man-kicks-down-canadian-flags-at-remembrance-day-tribute

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/