Remembrance Day?

Nov. 11, 2011, 8:44 p.m.

No mention of Remembrance Day, people? Did anyone get out to a service or a cenotaph anywhere? Surely we haven't forgotten the people who have sacrificed [HTML_REMOVED] paid the ultimate price.

Thread killer

Nov. 11, 2011, 8:46 p.m.

Was busy marching in the parade and laying a wreath. Lest we forget.

Nov. 11, 2011, 9:09 p.m.

Took this year off piping and was pretty glad to sleep in and not be part of a parade this morning. It loses meaning after 15 years of being forced to go. Apparently early christmas shopping was the priority of most today while bars where their busiest last night. Its become just another long weekend for almost everyone.

Nov. 11, 2011, 9:35 p.m.

i took my son to the wreath ceremony here in squamish. he's only 3, but i will teach him when he's old enough to understand

Nov. 11, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

Too busy being silent at my usual NBR time.
For a young guy like me it felt it very gratifying to be able to spend the last couple days meeting with a couple of my grandfather's friends, one of which was a Naval Commander and the other served on a submarine, both during the battle of the Atlantic. My grandfather was a flight engineer in Burma and my other Grandfather was an infantryman in Europe who is long gone. Anyone my age needs to take a moment, not only during this time of the year, to just think about what our grandfathers or anyone in our life went through at this time in their own life. To just think of that makes any problem i currently have or any of my peers have seem so insignificant.
Thank you to all who have served and gave their lives at an age where most people today couldn't even imagine doing such a thing.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

Nov. 11, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

We laid a wreath today at the arena.

Nov. 11, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

Took this year off piping and was pretty glad to sleep in and not be part of a parade this morning. It loses meaning after 15 years of being forced to go. Apparently early christmas shopping was the priority of most today while bars where their busiest last night. Its become just another long weekend for almost everyone.

Shouldn't be forced; you get to live the life you choose because of the sacrifices that our Vets made for us generations ago. We remember, on one day of the year. Our government makes it so that almost all of us have the day off. Sleep in tomorrow, today is for the veterans. Shame on you.

Nov. 11, 2011, 9:45 p.m.

It loses meaning after 15 years of being forced to go.

uhhhhh

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

Nov. 11, 2011, 10:16 p.m.

there was a nice ceremony here in trail downtown

Nov. 11, 2011, 10:50 p.m.

We had our own little service today on the mountain I thought was pretty neat.

For an all go, no quit outfit we stopped for a reflection at 11 oclock this morning. All the machines were parked in a circle. 100,000lb road builders, D9s and D8s. The D9 operator told stories of his family who is buried in/at Normandy. He also briefly touched on the current state of the world, and comparing it to history path. As the youngest guy there (22) I was both and impressed and happy everyone still took time and removed their tin hats.

Nov. 11, 2011, 10:50 p.m.

Took the kids to South Memorial Park for the service, and tried my best to explain the significance of the crosses to my 4yr old. And told them of their Great-grandfather that was a Tail Gunner in Lancasters, and survived the war

Here is a great song that keeps the sacrifices of the past, current and highlights a little told battle that decimated a Canadian regiment in 1944.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu82eodkNbc

Nov. 11, 2011, 10:56 p.m.

I didn't realize boeing had a plant where the current chilliwack airport is. Or that Bella Bella was a airforce base which sank several jap subs. Or that Victoria did indeed take enemy fire.

I was also unaware the from 248 (or near there) east all the way to Hope, all the streets with names are that of those lost over there. While most of the roads and streets are referred too as numbers now, almost everyone one has a name as well. And there was only one way to get your name on a road. Pretty staggering statistic when you think of how many roads there are, and all those guys were local.

So much local history, and I can't even be cliche and say it's lost on the youth. Because I am the youth, and my parents have no clue either.

Nov. 11, 2011, 11:10 p.m.

We stopped the trains in the Poco and Van yards and had 2 blasts of the horn afterwards.

yeah bro!!

Nov. 11, 2011, 11:43 p.m.

Lets we forget that war is still fucking stupid.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Nov. 12, 2011, 12:22 a.m.

Here is a great song that keeps the sacrifices of the past, current and highlights a little told battle that decimated a Canadian regiment in 1944.

Another good one by Great Big Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knxR-Q2VoBE
I thought this story in the Sun on Thursday was pretty good, The old soldier down the street.