Remembrance Day?

Nov. 12, 2011, 6:59 p.m.

hahaha this was so inevitable.

Yep. Leave it up to NSMB NBR to turn something as innocent and well meaning as a Rememberance Day thread into a stupid dick swinging, I'm right you're wrong, I know better than you, despicable shit show.

How about we keep this to paying our respects to the men and women who have fought and died for our great country? If not take your bullshit somewhere else.

Nov. 12, 2011, 6:59 p.m.

In 1944 my father cleaned up the city of Wuppertal after an allied bombing raid in which Napalm was involved. He was 14 years old.

He always told me that he would do anything to keep me from joining the army. He was traumatised because of war. So, yes, war is ugly, idiotic - but at the same time I think Europe was freed by the soldiers who fought against Nazi Germany. I can say that I am thankful, I have the chance to live a happy and peaceful life without fascism or another form of totalitarianism.

In 2006 I had the privilege to translate for a group of American WW2 veterans who lost their last man in the city or Wuppertal, back then I was a teacher-in-training.

It was humbling to say the least, I was really touched. I thanked them and wished them all the best. Basically some of them gave their lifes so that my father had the chance to raise my brothers and me in a non-fascist Germany.

It may well be that WW2 was primarily about money and economics - this does not diminish what the soldiers have done.

I am in no way diminishing the sacrifices soldiers from all nations of the world have made - I am paying it the utmost respect by being honest with the cause of wars and the complete and utter stupidness that causes war - fear - greed - lives wasted.

Actually, this is not quite right. Plain and simple. There is no such thing as "The Turks", at least when talking about medieval history and society, same as there was no such thing as a "French" knight back then. It was way more difficult.

I may be simplifying but the root cause of conflicts of the human race comes down to power - money - fear and greed. Its actually very sad. Its amazing we haven't wiped ourselves of off the planet yet.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 12, 2011, 7:11 p.m.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

But, I'm so fucking sick of people saying that our participation in the two world wars is why we have freedom today. You honestly think that Canada, the insignificant country it was (and really, still is), was going to be invaded and our democracy was going to fall?

Our participation in the two world wars was purely political - by helping our allies, it put Canada on the map as an international player. You think Canada cared about the plight of the Jews? Our government turned them away when they tried to immigrate here as refugees!

L Ron is right - war is abysmally stupid. There's nothing to celebrate. I did take a minute of silence today, though, to remember those men and women who did die for Canada, thinking they were doing the right thing. And yes, lest we forget, we (Canada) should avoid putting our citizens into harms way for all the wrong reasons.

You're so out of touch it's a fucking joke. "You think Canada cared about the plight of the Jews?" Are you saying that the young men who went overseas didin't? Give me a break. People saw the injustices that were going on and wanted to play a part in stopping it. Young men lined up by the tens of thousands to get a chance to participate. Do you think THEIR motivation was political? Give your head a shake.

And if you honestly think we would have the way of life we do now had the war gone the other way you have some serious problems.

"But, I'm so fucking sick of people saying that our participation in the two world wars is why we have freedom today. You honestly think that Canada, the insignificant country it was (and really, still is), was going to be invaded and our democracy was going to fall?"

That is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen writen on here.

Yeah your right. After Germany finished leveling the USA with the atom bombs they were well on their way to making they would have gotten to the Canadian border and turned away and let us be.

Nov. 12, 2011, 8:37 p.m.

hahaha this was so inevitable.

Thanks for the neg rep.

Apparently you're another person who can't read.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 12, 2011, 8:41 p.m.

How about we keep this to paying our respects to the men and women who have fought and died for our great country? If not take your bullshit somewhere else.

So saying that the fact they had to die, sucked and was stupid is being disrespectful?

I'm fully aware the Nazis had to be defeated but why do we have to act all proud of the victory and curse others who feel nothing but sadness for all the death?

www.natooke.com

Nov. 12, 2011, 9:09 p.m.

lol its the same people every time

outrage rabble rabble

Nov. 12, 2011, 9:22 p.m.

lol its the same people every time

outrage rabble rabble

no no no…its all about economics. :fruit:

Nov. 12, 2011, 9:49 p.m.

holy fucking irony overload.

What can I say….I just skim posts…. I don't spend my whole day on here like you.

Nov. 12, 2011, 10:09 p.m.

It's about respecting those who have fallen….

I do that in my own way. By recognizing their deaths for what they were. A pointless, tragic waste brought about by evil men.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 13, 2011, 12:46 a.m.

You're so out of touch it's a fucking joke. "You think Canada cared about the plight of the Jews?" Are you saying that the young men who went overseas didin't? Give me a break. People saw the injustices that were going on and wanted to play a part in stopping it. Young men lined up by the tens of thousands to get a chance to participate. Do you think THEIR motivation was political? Give your head a shake.

…you know that for the most part there wasn't much public knowledge about the holocaust until 1942, right?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Nov. 13, 2011, 2:28 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxBeSps2shA

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 13, 2011, 3:23 a.m.

I may be simplifying but the root cause of conflicts of the human race comes down to power - money - fear and greed. Its actually very sad. Its amazing we haven't wiped ourselves of off the planet yet.

By the way, the same holds true for the Thirty Years War - it was not about religious issues, as some still think - but in the end about power and economics, again.

A good read is - Peter H. Wilson: Europe's Tragedy. He names religion as one key issue, but that is not all. And right now I am too lazy to go into detail.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 13, 2011, 4:13 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 13, 2011, 7:57 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TgNRrHZhfI

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 13, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

You said:

Sometimes it's easy to see a bloody mass murder as something more than it was with all this talk about honor and nobility.

Which to me implies a lack of respect for those who laid their lives down to put an end to the bloody mass murder that was taking place at the time. Sorry if I misread you, it's a fairly misleading statement.