recommend me a summer camp for kids...

March 3, 2016, 12:05 p.m.

summer/sleepaway camp was one of my favorite experiences as a kid. i went to camp deka the first time the ymca ran it, up near 100 mile house. we'd spend a few days in camp and then head out into the woods for ~ a week. i was 10 years old

bear tracks. hail storms. flash floods. class 3 rapids. climbing in marble canyon. spelunking in jasper. all with a bunch of strangers, before highschool - i loved it!

after 2 years of camp where the kids do nothing but talk about minecraft and sing songs in front of a paper campfire, my son is finally old enough to go to deka… and i find out they've totally changed it. 5 days. no overnights. lots of arts and crafts though - and there's wifi :(

so, anyone have recommendations for kids camps in bc that don't suck?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 3, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

Probably nor far enough for you, but my daughter and her friends have been to Keats Camp and loved it.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 3, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Educo camp (also near 100 Mile) was really good when I went, more for older kids, long hikes rock climbing canoe trips etc.

March 3, 2016, 12:53 p.m.

My wife went to Camp Elphinstone when she was a kid and returned a few years ago as a teacher with a group of kids and said it hadn't changed a bit. They probably all have wifi though. :/

March 3, 2016, 1:10 p.m.

My wife went to Camp Elphinstone when she was a kid and returned a few years ago as a teacher with a group of kids and said it hadn't changed a bit. They probably all have wifi though. :/

i would consider elphinstone more of a resort than a camp. sailboats, heated/air conditioned "cabins", a swimming pool, etc.

Probably nor far enough for you, but my daughter and her friends have been to Keats Camp and loved it.

i should have specified, no religious camps. keat's mentions on its front page that it is "part of God’s life-changing ministry for over 85 years, and [is] looking to share it with you."

Educo camp (also near 100 Mile) was really good when I went, more for older kids, long hikes rock climbing canoe trips etc.

looks good - thanks!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 3, 2016, 1:35 p.m.

i would consider elphinstone more of a resort than a camp. sailboats, heated/air conditioned "cabins", a swimming pool, etc.

OK, I get that AC in a cabin is a bit much, but what is wrong with sailboats and a pool?

What are you looking for? Basic cabins or texts, a lake and canoes?

I went to one on Quadra Island as a kid that is still in operation and it looks like it is right up your alley… until the Jesus. LOL. I went with a buddy and the bible reading took me by surprise and I can't say I enjoyed it.

Here is another I went to as a kid. It's near Squamish. Jesus free.

https://evanslake.com/

March 3, 2016, 1:35 p.m.

Sending little man to this camp this summer.

Have been sending him to Camp Summit for last 4 years.
However, I think camps should have a lake or ocean. So that is the reason for the change.

When he is older will probably send him to Strathcona Park Lodge https://strathconaparklodge.com/

March 3, 2016, 1:37 p.m.

My daughter really liked Camp Latona , Im from summer camp background myself when i was kid in Ont. Every summer up to georgian bay to a summer camp. This camp reminded me of that style (water centric) and organized.
A++http://camplatona.com

March 3, 2016, 1:41 p.m.

Camp Thunderbird out in Sooke,

A friend of mine has been a councillor there for the last few years, and I've dropped by as a guest a few times, it's a great time. Kayaking, long hikes to the top of mountains, guides who are knowledgable about the outdoors. It's a real summer camp, that's probably not safe for helicopter parents.

March 3, 2016, 1:51 p.m.

Seems like all the camps on the Coast want you to Rep for Jesus! Malibu has a wake boat though.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 3, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

Seems like all the camps on the Coast want you to Rep for Jesus! Malibu has a wake boat though.

Malibu is a swank camp site. But, it is typically used by Young Life's US organization. You can't just sign up to go. Although, that may have changed in the past number of years.

March 3, 2016, 2:23 p.m.

Drop him off on Duffy Lake road with a full pack, map, and a knife. Tell him you'll pick him up in Lyton a month later.

Stein Valley epic.

What could go wrong? :)

March 3, 2016, 2:32 p.m.

Why not join Scouting and do stuff like that all year round rather than just in the summer?

My brother [HTML_REMOVED] I did the whole program; Beavers, Cubs, Scouts [HTML_REMOVED] Venturers

You might have to check out a few different groups to find one that matches your interests and personality. Some are sponsored by religious groups (they have the hall space) but I don't recall anything religious about any of the programs.

March 3, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

the one thing that seems to be missing from all of these options afaict is spending a night in the woods. is that just not something kids do anymore - my first year at deka i was 10, i think our outtrip lasted 6 days? never knew we had it so good

Why not join Scouting and do stuff like that all year round rather than just in the summer?

i found a beaver den right across the street from us a few years ago. went to check it out and it wasn't our scene.

You might have to check out a few different groups to find one that matches your interests and personality.

that's a good idea. i was bummed that the local option didn't work out. iirc we were looking into this during a particular dark and wet stretch of the winter… i looked into other groups but couldn't bring myself to trek around and check them out. i should get back on it

Sending little man to this camp this summer.

looks like another great option, thanks!

March 3, 2016, 3:44 p.m.

that's a good idea. i was bummed that the local option didn't work out. iirc we were looking into this during a particular dark and wet stretch of the winter… i looked into other groups but couldn't bring myself to trek around and check them out. i should get back on it

Not exactly the same, but my daughter is in Sparks (Girl Guides for 7 year olds). Her group is a really good fit for her but I know one of the other parents said this was the third group they'd tried and the others were just duds. Totally depends on the leaders and what they are in to.