Recommend me a roofer - ashphalt shingle replacement

Feb. 27, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

There are a few past threads on this, but looking for current recommendations.

Pretty simple job, re and re existing asphalt shingles, gable roof with 1 dormer so 2 valleys.

Looking for reliable, reasonable, good workmanship, properly insured. Job in East Van.

Thanks!

Feb. 27, 2015, 10:15 a.m.

A neighbour of mine has a roofing company based out of North Delta but I think he works around Metro Van. Did mine in the winter of 2010 just before the Olympics.
He has a big crew that works with him so he can do a whole roof in under a day, no tarping overnight reduces the possibility of leakage while the old roof is stripped before the new shingles are down. (A friend hired one of the big name roofing companies who ended up with water damage for this reason.)

Contact details:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2519625[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=29

Check this thread for more discussion about Metro Van roofers:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=141806

Feb. 27, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

Roy Dennis Roofing replaced all the roofs on our 4-unit townhouse complex in November 2012 and were good to deal with:

http://roydennisroofing.ca/

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

Feb. 27, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Shameless plug for my family's roofing company (which I do not work for), operated by my brother www.reganroofing.ca. Excellent reputation for premium quality work, particularly when dealing with houses in tight proximity like we see in Van East/West. My bro is also a MTBer :D…

I would strongly recommend using an installer/company who has been referred to you by somebody who understands the business, or at least who has some construction knowledge. A recommendation from Aunt Sue shouldn't hold a lot of water since she probably doesn't have a clue what's happening above her head (Sorry for taking a shot at your aunt Sue, I'm sure she's a nice lady).

I would disagree with Craig about the gang bang style of installation, for any trade really. There are just too many things that can be missed when a project is rushed to completion (again, I'm not just talking roofing here). I get that nobody wants to be inconvenienced for more than 30 seconds, but what's an extra day or two when you're talking about something that you expect (hope) to get 20 years out of? I tend to steer clear of so-called 1-day outfits, quality inevitably suffers.

Feb. 27, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

Get 3-5 quotes. There was at least a 3K spread when we went through the process.

Feb. 27, 2015, 4:26 p.m.

Get 3-5 quotes. There was at least a 3K spread when we went through the process.

This.

Take the middle bid.

The high bidder is busy and is going to have trouble squeezing you in the time allotted.

The low bidder missed something, and you will end up paying the difference as an extra.

March 3, 2015, 11:33 p.m.

Shameless plug for my family's roofing company (which I do not work for), operated by my brother www.reganroofing.ca. Excellent reputation for premium quality work, particularly when dealing with houses in tight proximity like we see in Van East/West. My bro is also a MTBer :D…

OK I will give them a shout for quote. How do I get teh bro deal?

March 4, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

Go with a steel roof if you can afford it….

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

March 4, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

I would disagree with Craig about the gang bang style of installation, for any trade really. There are just too many things that can be missed when a project is rushed to completion (again, I'm not just talking roofing here). I get that nobody wants to be inconvenienced for more than 30 seconds, but what's an extra day or two when you're talking about something that you expect (hope) to get 20 years out of? I tend to steer clear of so-called 1-day outfits, quality inevitably suffers.

That is a negative way at looking at it.

You could have one guy doing the roofing job, and it take him 4 days.
Or you could have 2 guys doing the same roofing job, and it take 2 days.
Or you could have 4 guys doing the same job, and it be done in a day.

One guy stripping the old roof, one guy putting down the underlay, one guy doing the flashing in the valleys and one guy nailing down the shingles.

Taking one day to do the job minimizes the time the plywood is exposed to the elements and preventing water leaks.

YMMV

March 4, 2015, 4:54 p.m.

Only ever seen one house get done in a day, and that was the one next door to us that had new shingles stacked on top of the old shingles as we were stripping our customers roof properly.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

March 5, 2015, 6:51 p.m.

That is a negative way at looking at it.

You could have one guy doing the roofing job, and it take him 4 days.
Or you could have 2 guys doing the same roofing job, and it take 2 days.
Or you could have 4 guys doing the same job, and it be done in a day.

One guy stripping the old roof, one guy putting down the underlay, one guy doing the flashing in the valleys and one guy nailing down the shingles.

Taking one day to do the job minimizes the time the plywood is exposed to the elements and preventing water leaks.

YMMV

Craig, I completely agree with you that 1-2 workers on a job site is not a good idea, both for efficiency and safety reasons. In fact, 3-5 to workers is pretty ideal for a typical Vancouver home, but it would be pretty unlikely that they could blow off, clean up and replace an entire roof in a day. A responsible company will remove and replace a roof in sections, minimizing the exposure and rarely relying on tarps. If you hire a legitimate company that know what they're doing, the risk of a leak during a roof replacement is close to zero.

The problems I saw when I worked in the industry were with the crews of 10+ that were actually ripping off and replacing a roof in one day. Protection was terrible, there was always damage to adjacent properties, installation quality was atrocious. Just because it's an unregulated industry, does not mean that all installers are equal.

The point I was trying to make is, like most things, quality generally rises when you take the time to do a job right. That, and you get what you pay for…

March 5, 2015, 8:23 p.m.

I have seen some crazy scenes around here, looking like crews of 15 swarming all over a house removing the old stuff - seems very dangerous and I suspect half the labour was picked up on the corner that morning. Also saw a 2 man crew take 4 weeks to do my neighbour's small house. I'm looking for that perfect middle ground!

March 6, 2015, 8:32 a.m.

I recall (it was 5 years ago now) that there were 5-6 guys on the job including the company owner [HTML_REMOVED] a gopher/clean up guy on the ground, so a max. of 4 guys on the roof.

I guess when I said a big group I was talking about 5-6 guys and others were talking 15. Normal house roofing jobs I'd seen driving around it looked like there were 2-3 guys working and it would take 2 or 3 days to do the job.

Just before I did mine a mtn bike friend had one of the big name Vancouver roof companies do his roof, they tarped over night and he ended up with water damage to to his ceiling. The company repaired it but I gather he had to fight with them and it took a while. If he sees this post, maybe he will comment.

March 6, 2015, 9:36 a.m.

Roy Dennis Roofing replaced all the roofs on our 4-unit townhouse complex in November 2012 and were good to deal with:

http://roydennisroofing.ca/

+1 for Roy Dennis Roofing.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 6, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

A responsible company will remove and replace a roof in sections, minimizing the exposure and rarely relying on tarps.

Synthetic underlay changes that.

Strip the whole roof as fast as you can then cover it with the synthetic underlay. It's waterproof and 10,000 better than any tarp. Once it's down the roof is sealed and you can work in the rain on it. It can be left own it's own for a while, just requires a more nails with a wide cap head if being left without shingles to prevent wind tear off.

http://www.iko.com/products/homeowner/synthetic-underlayments/roofgard-cool-grey/

If you've never used it the stuff will change your mind on when and how a roof can be done.