Recommend me a roofer!

May 7, 2011, 12:39 p.m.

Why do people equate speed with good quality roofing? A smaller crew will have far better control over the quality of an install. The whole roof doesn't need to come off in one day, you can always open and close smaller sections at a time to minimize risk of relying on tarps overnight.

speed
quality
price

choose any two.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 7, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

Why do people equate speed with good quality roofing? A smaller crew will have far better control over the quality of an install. The whole roof doesn't need to come off in one day, you can always open and close smaller sections at a time to minimize risk of relying on tarps overnight.

A friend of mine had his roof done by one of the most reputatable and expensive roofers in Vancouver and it took multiple days. The tarps leaked and caused interior damage. They fixed it but I'd rather not have to have the damage in the first place.

May 7, 2011, 1:21 p.m.

Atwal Roofing Ltd.
Ph 604-930-1536
Cell 604-715-5759

He uses a big crew so the whole job is done the same day. That way you don't have to worry about tarping the house up overnight.

I am betting the "big crew" is made up of his cousins/nephews/inlaws who have just come to Canada don't make much $ and don't speak a word of english?

My brother in-law used a guy like that in surrey for a shake roof and it was all his extended family and if you gave him cash … 10% off the bill

one of the first things I take note of when I scope out a house to buy is the type of roof ,Shake tar [HTML_REMOVED] gravel are definatley out cuz they are fucking expensive ,duroid is relatively cheap

I wouldn't do it myself cuz its fucking hard work and you could fuck it up unless you know what you are doing ,house insurance companies will ask how old the roof is and when I told em it was brand new they asked if I did it myself or paid a real roofer

dangerous too ,I have a parapalegic paddling aqaintance who was a roofer

May 7, 2011, 1:50 p.m.

Platinum Roofing
http://www.platinumroofing.org/

May 7, 2011, 1:55 p.m.

A friend of mine had his roof done by one of the most reputatable and expensive roofers in Vancouver and it took multiple days. The tarps leaked and caused interior damage. They fixed it but I'd rather not have to have the damage in the first place.

Fair enough, but "reputable" roofers generally know how to tarp a house so it won't leak. And like I said, it's not necessary to tear off the whole roof at once. You can quite easily do sections at a time without ever having to rely on a tarp.

May 7, 2011, 3:47 p.m.

I am betting the "big crew" is made up of his cousins/nephews/inlaws who have just come to Canada don't make much $ and don't speak a word of english?

Nope, owner was South Asian, but the crew was all from Portugal.

May 7, 2011, 3:52 p.m.

Fair enough, but "reputable" roofers generally know how to tarp a house so it won't leak. And like I said, it's not necessary to tear off the whole roof at once. You can quite easily do sections at a time without ever having to rely on a tarp.

That is pretty much how they did mine.

Once they had part of the old shingles off 1/2 the roof part of the crew started installing the new underlay, closely followed by the new shingles.

Because there was a possibility of showers in the afternoon on the day they did my roof they used an expensive underlay similar to white tyvex, it looked similar to a very heavy white tarp but roll format. The owner told me that once that stuff was down it would last a year with no shingles at all.

May 8, 2011, 9:38 a.m.

Or Taves Roofing ,Tony @ 604-726-6402

Taves is AWFUL. The worst company I have ever dealt with. As a contractor that says a lot. The only company I have ever reported to the BBB. Avoid like the plague.

A lot of the bigger roofing companies contract out their jobs to smaller roofers. I had Taves do my house which is low slope torch on. They sent a completely inept duo that made a mess of my roof. After 5 weeks to complete, fuck ups, leaks and lies I still had to finish myself after paying just under $10 000. One of the highlights of the experience was when contacting the salesman (Brad) and complaining about the poor job his reply was "We contract out to other roofers so any issue you have is not our problem".

May 8, 2011, 10:38 a.m.

Nope, owner was South Asian, but the crew was all from Portugal.

Did he call you "mr. Craig"? I think a friend of mine had his roof done by the same company. They did a good job.

May 8, 2011, 1:53 p.m.

torch on for a low slope is fucking expensive which is why I will not even look at buying a house with a low slope roof

GF had hers done and one roofer told her there are shingles that could be used on a low slope which is true for SOME aspects but he just looked at the roof and didnt actualy measure the slope ,when we actualy meaasured the slope the roof was too flat for low slope shingles

the crew she did get to do the torch on did a so-so job of the finishing didnt put in the downspouts ,fortunately GF had held back 10% when she paid him which is allowable and a good thing to do ,she e-mailed and phoned the guy multiple times ,never heard from him again even tho this is a small town and I got up there to re-do some of the finshing …saved her 1000$ but I hope the rest of the job was done properly

May 8, 2011, 3:58 p.m.

it cost a boatload to get insurance for torch-on roofing. Too many crackheads burning buildings down. That is why it is so expensive. There are a few companies that still do it, and charge a mint.

You have to be careful to hire only insured roofers for torch-on. In case the building burns, you need to have your ass covered.

May 8, 2011, 4:58 p.m.

Taves is AWFUL. The worst company I have ever dealt with. As a contractor that says a lot. The only company I have ever reported to the BBB. Avoid like the plague.

A lot of the bigger roofing companies contract out their jobs to smaller roofers. I had Taves do my house which is low slope torch on. They sent a completely inept duo that made a mess of my roof. After 5 weeks to complete, fuck ups, leaks and lies I still had to finish myself after paying just under $10 000. One of the highlights of the experience was when contacting the salesman (Brad) and complaining about the poor job his reply was "We contract out to other roofers so any issue you have is not our problem".

why did you even pay them at all?

i would have been riding that fuckers ass until he had someone come and do the job properly. it doesn't matter who he contracts the work to, your contract as the homeowner is with taves and it's their responsibility to make sure the job is done right and follow up with the crew that they hired to do the work.

burn him, burn him to the ground.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 8, 2011, 5:38 p.m.

[QUOTE=syncro;2520005

i would have been riding that fuckers ass

Ill bet you would :fruit:

There is no such thing as a "good" roofer….they are not in it for passion or the satisfaction of a job well done,just for the fast cash.

Get references and lots of quotes….and even that wont guarantee satisfaction.

Pastor of Muppets

May 8, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

roofers and drywallers are gross

He's not looking to sleep with a roofer. I don't think anyway.

May 8, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

roofers and drywallers are gross

i was one of the 10 sexiest drywallers in the BC before i left….still living of my bounty/booty arggggg.

Would you like a Calendar?