Recommend me a laptop.

Jan. 19, 2010, 4:31 p.m.

3.5 years and counting out of my Macbook. Had to have the HD replaced after about 2.5 years but that was covered under warranty. You may pay more, but it's lasted much longer than either of the two PC laptops I had before. You get what you pay for. Buy a disposable laptop, get a disposable laptop.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 19, 2010, 5:54 p.m.

I think that the quality you get from a mac is worth the extra cost. ive had my 15" macbook pro for 3.5 yrs and its still going strong, ive only had to replace the fan which was [HTML_REMOVED]$100 and it has endured a couple of big drops.

if you're budgeting $500 bucks for a computer that will last 1 or 2 years, your total cost ends up about the same as if you bought a higher quality laptop rather than a cheap netbook.

worth thinking about, you can get the 13" macbook for 1000 now and the 13" mbp for like $1250.

brokezors

Jan. 19, 2010, 5:56 p.m.

steve jobs really has the natives brainwashed.

i'm not getting a fucking mac. stop talking about them already.

Jan. 19, 2010, 5:57 p.m.

steve jobs really has the natives brainwashed.

i'm not getting a fucking mac. stop talking about them already.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Jan. 19, 2010, 6:14 p.m.

your problem isn't with a pc. its with the e-machine.

e-machine = large amounts of feces that emulate from your canine's colon.

:lol: point taken

Jan. 19, 2010, 6:17 p.m.

Mac or otherwise, a little more spent now may serve you a lot more longevity. Have to second the used concept, many friends went that route years back and still enjoying same laptop. I can't imaging writing code/typing on a mini/net whatever etc. For spending more, my Toshiba 17" widescreen notebook I bought some 5 or 6 yrs ago remains flawless (and so enjoyable to use). In the same time period I think I've replaced my desktop minimum 2 or 3 times.

You might be very pleased with a used laptop as is, or juiced with a SSD harddrive (like a jump drive). SSD greatly drops power consumption (no moving parts) and are very quick. Becoming common for running OS's on laptops for their speed and extending battery longevity.

Jan. 19, 2010, 6:25 p.m.

netbooks are a waste of money, IMO. been using one for a while, it's a waste of time. Ever try typing on one? it's a total pain in the ass. I get carpal tunnel from trying to use the damned petite track pad too. you're better off to get a 13" lappy, pay a bit more, get way more processing power, a decent sized keyboard, CDROM and roughly the same battery life.

They have a purpose for some people. I really like my Lenovo s10-2; so portable- I recognize its limitations and try not to type large docs on it. I just run it on a 20" screen and external mouse and keyboard at home. I'm hoping to soon get a desktop and just keep the netbook's documents synced for when out of the house.

To the OP, that's a tough budget for an alright laptop. At that price you'll most likely get a half-assed desktop replacement laptop that will have hypersonic fans running full blast just to turn on Firefox. An extra hundred or so will do you good; or just accept the power limitations and get a netbook at around that price, you'll get a real good one for $500.

Jan. 19, 2010, 6:41 p.m.

I still think - look at a solid used machine is best bang for the buckā€¦

$525

Make [HTML_REMOVED] model Dell Latitude D630 [Refurbished]
CPU type/speed Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz
Memory 2048 Mb DDR2
Hard drive 80 Gb SATA
Display 14.1-inch WideScreen (12"x7.4")
DVD-Burner Can read and burn CD and DVD disks
Networking Ethernet LAN Adaptor and 56K Modem
Wireless card Built-in
Multimedia Built-in sound card and speakers
Ports [HTML_REMOVED] Features 4 x USB 2.0 Ports, PCMCIA Slot, Touch Pad and Touch Point, Stereo Line In / Out, IEEE 1394 FireWire 400 4-pin, 15-pin VGA Port, RS-232 Serial Port 9-pin, Blue Tooth
Software Original Windows XP Pro, Anti-Virus, Open Office
Battery Included, tested to hold charge
AC Adapter Included
Warranty
Free 90 Days
180 days hardware warranty [Add $29]
360 days hardware warranty [Add $59]
2 years hardware warranty [Add $129]

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 19, 2010, 7:16 p.m.

They have a purpose for some people. I really like my Lenovo s10-2; so portable- I recognize its limitations and try not to type large docs on it. I just run it on a 20" screen and external mouse and keyboard at home. I'm hoping to soon get a desktop and just keep the netbook's documents synced for when out of the house.

yeah, I know what they should be used for and I find even that to be a stretch. sometimes a few RDP windows and firefox bogs the thing down.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Jan. 19, 2010, 7:58 p.m.

yeah, I know what they should be used for and I find even that to be a stretch. sometimes a few RDP windows and firefox bogs the thing down.

maybe you have a shitty netbook.

Jan. 19, 2010, 9:47 p.m.

no, it's an HP mini, we upgraded the RAM to 2GB. I wiped and loaded it with an OEM version of XP to remove all of the HP BS that it comes loaded with. We have 2 and they're both way to rinky dink for much of anything.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")