recommend me a cheap commuter car

May 24, 2014, 2:12 p.m.

2nd the toyota tercel

TB's vehicals are actualy SO big he is very close to not getting them all in his driveway;)

of course someone else is buying the fuel

stalker

Pastor of Muppets

May 24, 2014, 2:26 p.m.

unless you can fix that 2000$ shitbox cheaply it may become a money pit and so what you save on fuel you spend on repair, sometimes it might be smarter to spend a little more $, it is a bit of a balancing act.

May 24, 2014, 10:01 p.m.

Make sure you get BCAA. I saved hundreds on towing fees to get our shit box commuter car back to our place so I could fix it.

Got a 92 Festiva years ago for $600, slapped $400 on it over the years in maintenance, rims, and winter tires. All used craigslist stuff. The car took 12 months to pay off in gas savings and extra insurance. For the following 2 years, I saved roughly $1k, after insurance was accounted for. I also didnt rack up 25k or more per year on my truck.

This plan was only really worth it because I could fix all the issues myself: drivers door handle and window, exhaust replacement, wheel installation on some new balanced winters off craigslist, MAF sensor stuff, regular tune up parts, etc. If you're paying someone else to do it, it doesn't really work out. My $1k in savings would disappear in 1-2 mechanic visits.

May 24, 2014, 11:57 p.m.

we have had good luck with Mazda Protoge's LX 2001 era, a couple of them now

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

May 25, 2014, 7:09 a.m.

Make sure you get BCAA. I saved hundreds on towing fees to get our shit box commuter car back to our place so I could fix it.

Got a 92 Festiva years ago for $600, slapped $400 on it over the years in maintenance, rims, and winter tires. All used craigslist stuff. The car took 12 months to pay off in gas savings and extra insurance. For the following 2 years, I saved roughly $1k, after insurance was accounted for. I also didnt rack up 25k or more per year on my truck.

This plan was only really worth it because I could fix all the issues myself: drivers door handle and window, exhaust replacement, wheel installation on some new balanced winters off craigslist, MAF sensor stuff, regular tune up parts, etc. If you're paying someone else to do it, it doesn't really work out. My $1k in savings would disappear in 1-2 mechanic visits.

BCAA is a good point.

I know my way around a case of beer and a socket set pretty well but I definitely don't like turning wrenches on the side of the highway!

May 25, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

Check around for road side assistance packages. BCAA tows 5km for free and then you have to start paying.

Some insurance packages have assistance.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 25, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

Buy a few of the same year/model car for parts [HTML_REMOVED] park em in the front yard … next to the dead appliances

pay a little more $ for the cheapest econobox that isn't gona break, you will get the extra $ you spent back when you slap a "free tibet" sticker on the car and flog it to a tree planter in a couple of years, turn them over often

May 25, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

I would be on the look out for a mid nineties Toyota Corolla. Its the ultimate grandma car so you should be able to find one that is in mint shape with probably less than 100 k on it. The price for the Corolla has already settled in your range and the unlike Civics of the same vintage and price they haven't been through 4 teenagers "first cars". Most likely the car will be white or beige. So keep your eyes peeled for a corolla and you will probably find your self a reliable cheap runabout. If you are nice enough grandma might even throw in the crocheted tissue box.

I'm the best at being modest !

May 25, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

sometimes I think you must be dumber than you appear on the internet.

I was struggling to fathom why you'd be concerned about a beater "holding" it's value.