Recommend a good lawyer...family law

March 3, 2016, 11:36 a.m.

Not exactly… property owned by one spouse before the relationship remains the property of the spouse… it is called EXCLUDED property. However, any gain in market value is divisible.

True.

I know the horse has already bolted, but if anyone is thinking of getting married, or thinking of moving in with someone, then you really need to get a financial statement outlining all your assets before you make the big move (think prenup). People change.

Not cheap, but ended up saving me a lot of money quite a few years ago:

Lawrence A. Kahn, Q.C.
Kahn Zack Ehrlich Lithwick
Barristers [HTML_REMOVED] Solicitors
270 - 10711 Cambie Rd.
Richmond BC V6X 3G5

Phone: 604.232.7208
Email: [email protected]

March 3, 2016, 11:55 a.m.

interesting that if the genders were reversed people would be losing their shit that the guy wasn't paying up…..but that would be a whole other thread.

should be noted that from the few details we have the OP has every right to be pissed.

I wouldn't.
If you bring nothing to the table why should you leave with a full stomach?

The 50 or whatever percent pension people may have to give up is huge. Part of the reason a few of my coworkers aren't retiring just yet.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 3, 2016, 12:25 p.m.

Hmm. I see what you're saying. Still, I can see both sides of it. Had they not been living together, the other party would have been able to make their own real estate investments. I guess I'd like to see division of capital gains be proportional to each party's net contributions to total living expenses etc.

I think that's fair, unless the second party was living rent free. In that case, they should have been free to invest the value of that rental. Also, the 1st party should be able to claim unpaid back rent against the increased valuation.

I don't think there's any truly "fair" answer as these things are always a mess. Selling it all, splitting the money, and starting over is probably the cleanest answer. Kind of a "if you can't share nobody gets the candy" kind of mentality.

I wouldn't.
The 50 or whatever percent pension people may have to give up is huge. Part of the reason a few of my coworkers aren't retiring just yet.

Pensions are an asset so they are fair game.

March 3, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

:lol: Damn you. :lol:

:D

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 3, 2016, 6:19 p.m.

Not to be overly objectional, but what exactly made you think that staying in a relationship with a dingleberry who mooches off you for years would end well? Men have known it for ages, ditch the gold diggers - guess it goes both ways sometimes. Best of luck

March 3, 2016, 9:30 p.m.

Not to be overly objectional, but what exactly made you think that staying in a relationship with a dingleberry who mooches off you for years would end well?

It's something we talked about several times, and I trusted him to honour his word. I know, pretty naive.

Over the last 3 years, I had tried to end it many times, but every time, he would threaten to kill himself. This may sound like a ridiculous reason to stay with someone, but the threat of having to live with that on my conscience was too much for me. Of course, it lost more and more of its power over me every time he used it, until the last time, when it held no sway over me whatso-ever, and I told him to just go fo it then.

I knew I was being manipulated the whole time, but the "what-if" was enough to prevent me from ending it.

:canada: :swiss:

March 3, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

True.

I know the horse has already bolted, but if anyone is thinking of getting married, or thinking of moving in with someone, then you really need to get a financial statement outlining all your assets before you make the big move (think prenup). People change.

Not cheap, but ended up saving me a lot of money quite a few years ago:

Lawrence A. Kahn, Q.C.
Kahn Zack Ehrlich Lithwick
Barristers [HTML_REMOVED] Solicitors
270 - 10711 Cambie Rd.
Richmond BC V6X 3G5

Phone: 604.232.7208
Email: [email protected]

True words… something I would strongly recommend… or just stay single… play the field, have fun…

March 3, 2016, 9:36 p.m.

When you said he is suing you, did he just file thru the law courts or is it from a law firm?

He filed against me through a lawyer in the Supreme court.

:canada: :swiss:

March 3, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

It's something we talked about several times, and I trusted him to honour his word. I know, pretty naive.

Over the last 3 years, I had tried to end it many times, but every time, he would threaten to kill himself. This may sound like a ridiculous reason to stay with someone, but the threat of having to live with that on my conscience was too much for me. Of course, it lost more and more of its power over me every time he used it, until the last time, when it held no sway over me whatso-ever, and I told him to just go fo it then.

I knew I was being manipulated the whole time, but the "what-if" was enough to prevent me from ending it.

have you documented that in any way at all? that could be considered mental abuse and it may prove useful in your case against him.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 4, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

Crappy, Sorry you have to go through this. Unfortunately it seems when looking for that one that is the perfect match, you have to deal with shitheads.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

March 4, 2016, 10:16 a.m.

True words… something I would strongly recommend… or just stay single… play the field, have fun…

I've done both :) Played the field, got married, got divorced, played the field, got married again. Saw the same lawyer twice. Once during the divorce and once again before getting married the second time. It's much better to pay for a lawyer BEFORE you get married…

March 4, 2016, 11:12 a.m.

Umm, probably not.

Filed it with Court of Queen's bench more like.

Court of Queen's -[HTML_REMOVED] Court of Appeals -[HTML_REMOVED] Supreme Court

March 4, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

You are a better person than me, I'd have handed him a sharp knife and said "do it" but then I have limited tolerance for psychologically malipulative bullshit, in hindsight if he'd off'd himself you wouldn't be in this dilemma right now

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

March 4, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

Umm, probably not.

Filed it with Court of Queen's bench more like.

Court of Queen's -[HTML_REMOVED] Court of Appeals -[HTML_REMOVED] Supreme Court

You file with the Supreme Court.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 4, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

You are a better person than me, I'd have handed him a sharp knife and said "do it" but then I have limited tolerance for psychologically malipulative bullshit, in hindsight if he'd off'd himself you wouldn't be in this dilemma right now

Mental note:

Be kind to AussieDreamZ should I ever happen to meet her.