Recent grad? Employed?

Nov. 17, 2011, 12:27 a.m.

Having an "in" is definitely a plus, that's how I won nearly all of of my jobs. I'm going to reassess my network and see who I could get in contact with.

It's not about who you know - it's about who you'll blow.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 17, 2011, 12:08 p.m.

Graduated in late '11. Found a job within 3 weeks.

Computer Engineering

Nov. 17, 2011, 12:47 p.m.

I have a few friends in the GIS gig and while they are working I'd say the GIS thing might be a popular wave that has crashed. Businesses (mine included) were smitten with GIS as a way to answer everything but after some time the seem to be realizing that maps aren't new and that you don't need a big team of people with lots of expensive mapping to make a better short term service road.

Anyway, a Master's is a great way to hide out. The only thing is that things seem to be picking up, at least in AB and SK.

Nov. 17, 2011, 9:25 p.m.

I've changed my focus now to forestry companies, but entry level positions are few and far between. I've never received a call back from any company I've applied to over workopolis and those types of websites. I'm going to continue to contact forestry companies, but all the no's are pretty frustrating. I wrote my undergrad thesis on a forestry related topic, maybe that will give me an edge.

Next I'm going to start looking into and applying for planning jobs. Maybe look into bc parks again and look around for municipal government work.

What type of forestry jobs are you looking for?

total scam. he put food before beer.

Nov. 17, 2011, 11:54 p.m.

All you new grads, there's nothing for you in Vancouver and the sooner you accept that fact, the sooner you can start your career in a city with a real economy like Calgary or Toronto. Get yourselves some real experience and come back home when you've realised your potential and you are worth more in marketable skills than the baby boomer scum clinging to their jobs to pay off their mortgages. If you let your resume fester with gaps of unemployment, the effect is compounding in that you aren't gaining any marketable skills and employers will be loathe to hire someone who hasn't done anything since grad.

Nov. 18, 2011, 2 a.m.

Good advice. Too bad it involves living in Calgary or Toronto.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 18, 2011, 5:49 a.m.

Good advice. Too bad it involves living in Calgary or Toronto.

Calgary really ain't that bad. The corporate offices aren't my cup o' tea… but just take a quick look at those mountains. There literally isn't 1 season that they aren't a blast.

Nov. 18, 2011, 7:52 a.m.

I graduated from UBC Mech Eng in 2010. After travelling for a while, I started to look for work in early 2011. I sent out cover letters and resumes to all sorts of places and didn't get a single reply. In the end, I interviewed with 3 companies (and got the job where I currently work), and they were all because I knew someone within the company who refered me. None of the jobs I interviewed for were posted anywhere. My advice: work your connections, and failing that, get out to job fairs and industry events. Face to face introductions will go a lot further than an emailed resume.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Nov. 18, 2011, 8 a.m.

Calgary really ain't that bad. The corporate offices aren't my cup o' tea… but just take a quick look at those mountains. There literally isn't 1 season that they aren't a blast.

I met a guy from Manchester who works in downtown Calgary but commutes every day from Canmore. He told me his commute was worth it for the opportunity to live in the middle of some of the best mountain biking in the world, not to mention skiing.

Nov. 18, 2011, 8:19 a.m.

Canmore is fucking awesome.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 18, 2011, 8:50 a.m.

Canmore is fucking awesome.

I'd say it's a little overrated. It is, however, the soul of XC riding in Canada. If you wanna see lycra and CF spokes on the trail Canmore is the place for you.

Great hiking and snow shoeing though.

Nov. 18, 2011, 8:52 a.m.

I'd say it's a little overrated. It is, however, the soul of XC riding in Canada. If you wanna see lycra and CF spokes on the trail Canmore is the place for you.

no one in nbr rides bikes anymore.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 18, 2011, 9:12 a.m.

All you new grads, there's nothing for you in Vancouver and the sooner you accept that fact, the sooner you can start your career in a city with a real economy like Calgary or Toronto.

Over the next 10 years, all of the major municipalities in BC are going to spend billions on water and wastewater infrastructure. Anyone interested in engineering or technology in those fields, anyone in the construction trades is gonna be BIIIZZAY.

A partial list;

- new wastewater treatment plant in Victoria
- related changes to wastewater collection/pumping infrastructure in Vic
- new drinking water treatment and storage facilities in Nanaimo
- complete replacement of Lions Gate wastewater plant in N. Van
- major refurb of Iona wastewater plant by the airport
- double the capacity of Annacis wastewater plant
- significant updates/capacity increases for water/wastewater in Abbotsford and Chilliwack.

There isn't enough engineering or construction capacity within BC to handle all of this. It's going to be insane.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 18, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

Military paid me to get my red seal in carpentry starting in 97, got bored of that and then they paid me to go to UVic for four years. BSc in astrophysics in 08. Working as an aerospace engineer now. Just got off an armament course and I'm trying to decide between a masters in aerospace armament engineering or get a masters in electro-optics engineering.

It's not for everyone but the CF has some great options, and the pension and job prospects when you get out are pretty awesome as well.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Nov. 18, 2011, 12:23 p.m.

its also a fucking expensive place to buy a house, also they got lots of expensive RE the locals can't afford and not much infrastrcuture lots of absentee owners cuz everybody lives in C-town

A positive is that Canmore is a great place to garage sale because people with a lot of $$$ buy shit they don't need in C-town and then brings it to Canmore for a weekend garage sale … its usually very good stuff