real estate market picking up?

March 27, 2009, 1:40 p.m.

Volume may be up bet id wager the market is going to fall further. at least anouther 10%

March 27, 2009, 1:45 p.m.

may as well toss this into this paticular hat. do I

A. buy the $200,000 house in a location where i can rent it out for most of the year and pay the morgage.

B. buy the sub $100,000 house with a bit of land in a location where renting it out is next to imposable

C. pay cash fo a chunk of land with no house and live like a hippy.

and how do i work the price of a sled into the cost of the house.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

March 27, 2009, 1:51 p.m.

buy where you want to live.

March 27, 2009, 1:52 p.m.

I was up on the Sunshine Coast last weekend and noticed that there seemed to be a huge number of houses with for sale signs on them in the Red Roofs Road area. (for that don't know this is a semi-rural area with either waterfront or across the road from waterfront)

I'm not sure what is driving the huge number of sellers up there.

I noticed quite a few around Roberts Creek too. I know that the work on the Coast has dried up, but there were so many houses bought up there as recreational property my guess is that it is boomers trying to liquedate after their investments took a beating.

March 27, 2009, 1:55 p.m.

buy where you want to live.

I'm only looking at places where i would live. I'm not that picky. I mean i have a criteria, but there are four or five zones with in BC I could happily set up shop.

March 27, 2009, 2:12 p.m.

I noticed quite a few around Roberts Creek too. I know that the work on the Coast has dried up, but there were so many houses bought up there as recreational property my guess is that it is boomers trying to liquedate after their investments took a beating.

Any forecast guesses on what the SSC RE market will do in the next 6-18 mos?

:canada: :england:

March 27, 2009, 2:18 p.m.

I'm only looking at places where i would live. I'm not that picky. I mean i have a criteria, but there are four or five zones with in BC I could happily set up shop.

Id go for B in your shoes then.

building anything aint cheap and not owing money is a good thing and likely to get better

March 27, 2009, 4:06 p.m.

picking up could mean movement (which is always good for a realestate salesperson ) but not necessarily prices going back up

I think the sky has away's to fall in before the economy turns around

March 27, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

Any forecast guesses on what the SSC RE market will do in the next 6-18 mos?

No clue, but I hope it keeps dropping for a year or so because I might move back up there.

March 27, 2009, 6:35 p.m.

Id go for B in your shoes then.

building anything aint cheap and not owing money is a good thing and likely to get better

B is the only one where I would have any monthly payments year around. the only thing i would build would be a shed with a wood stove i could park my trailer in. and an out house.

March 27, 2009, 7:13 p.m.

B is the only one where I would have any monthly payments year around. the only thing i would build would be a shed with a wood stove i could park my trailer in. and an out house.

payments on a hundred G are pretty cheap like 500 bucks/month. in the end it would come down to location and each piece of property

March 27, 2009, 7:31 p.m.

Volume may be up bet id wager the market is going to fall further. at least anouther 10%

2nd that ^^. My opinion is based on the idea that stock market, unemployment rates, lending rates and real estate are correlated. By lowering prime rate you only change one variables in one equation. Given the status of other variables, this is just a little "up" move after a significant adjustment.

March 28, 2009, 4:43 a.m.

I was up on the Sunshine Coast last weekend and noticed that there seemed to be a huge number of houses with for sale signs on them in the Red Roofs Road area. (for that don't know this is a semi-rural area with either waterfront or across the road from waterfront)

I'm not sure what is driving the huge number of sellers up there.

I grew up on Redrooffs rd and the majority of people who live on it are old. My guess is that they are selling to move into a condo/home.

March 28, 2009, 7:12 a.m.

Just you wait until Pedro gets in here and tells you why you are so wrong.

Ever since this bubble has begun, I have felt that Vancouver has so little to offer given the price you pay.

Every time I leave Vancouver, that suspicion of mine is reaffirmed, and makes me even more convinced that anyone buying here (at the recent prices) is basically sacrificing their long-term standard of living in the name of a fantasy/delusion. In other words, Vancouver is really not all that it's cracked up to be especially for 300K for a condo in a suburb where life is virtually non-existent.

Btw, I have a friend who I have advised not buy a condo but he still decided to go ahead with it. I would think he gets paid very well (in retrospect) yet because of that fucking condo his standard of living is basically shit because he has no money left. Not to mention that he probably has no equity because its value has dropped since then and his girlfriends income had been reduced due to economic circumstances. His job totally stresses him out, though it pays well, and just because of that condo he has no choice but to stay at that job that's sucking the life out of him. I know many of you will say that he should have prepared for the worst but I am pretty this is playing out all over the city.

Regarding the market, you guessed it, I do think it's a dead-cat bounce. Canada's economic decline is just gaining traction I think there is no reason to believe that the recent positive economic indicators are a trend. Things are still getting worse in the US, Asia and Europe.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

March 28, 2009, 7:28 a.m.

Btw, I have a friend who I have advised not buy a condo but he still decided to go ahead with it. I would think he gets paid very well (in retrospect) yet because of that fucking condo his standard of living is basically shit because he has no money left. Not to mention that he probably has no equity because its value has dropped since then and his girlfriends income had been reduced due to economic circumstances. His job totally stresses him out, though it pays well, and just because of that condo he has no choice but to stay at that job that's sucking the life out of him. I know many of you will say that he should have prepared for the worst but I am pretty this is playing out all over the city.

Pedro

But could your friend do his job somewhere in smaller town BC? Some of us don't have that luxury, unfortunately. If so, i'd be the fuck outta here.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin