Rate my fall workout program!

Nov. 1, 2012, 12:13 p.m.

Alright NSMB fitness gurus… riding season is over where I live, that means getting my ass back to the gym to stay in shape over the winter and train hard for next summer. I have put together a program and was hoping for some critiques/input. I would consider myself fairly knowledgable with this stuff, but am always open to other opinions.

I am looking to make overall strength and size gains over the coming months (Nov-Feb), Then focus harder on conditioning and endurance in the spring. For now, I want to focus primarily on using free-weights and body weight exercises, as well as compound movements (except on arm day).

Workout A (Mon/Fri)

Deadlift 5x5
Barbell Bench Press 5x5
Incline pushups 4xF
Barbell hang clean and press 5x5
Inverted Row 4xF
DB row 5x5
DB circuit x4

Workout B (Wed)

10 mins row machine
barbell curls 5x5
DB concentration curls 3x10
21s x2
Close-grip bench press 5x5
lying tricep extension (skullcrusher variation) 3x10
Bench dips
Core training
10 mins row machine (intervals)

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Nov. 1, 2012, 12:26 p.m.

What type of activity are you training for, specifically? Or are you just "workin' out".

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

Needs moar squats.

Lift with your glutes, not with your quads.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

Needs more milk.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

I am not a fitness expert.
I went to personal trainer to try and develop a cycling related in season workout that I can start now, while in cross season.
Saturday: race
Sunday: rest, lightspin or foam rolling
Monday: weights
Warmup - 10-15 min
3 x Squats 5-8 reps followed by 12 jump squats followed by 15-20Pushups
3 x 8 Pull ups then 5 romainian dealifts(focus on hips/glutes) then leg curls on the swiss ball
3 x Ab work 18 rep push plank on a swiss ball then min 60sec of v sit while moving a 10lb ball through a range of motion with still body.

Tuesday: ride Aerobic 2-5 hours
Wednesday: Monday work out with leg press instead of squat and bent row instead of dead lift and pull ups swapped with bench press.
All weights heavy but never to failure
Thursday : ride 2 hr with min 3-5x 30-45 sec intervals.
Friday: spin only or trainer to stay loose
Sat: race

3rd week right now and too early to see if there is a difference. My body weight is staying the same, and it seems I have a bit more kick.
I want to get a better sprint and more core stability so that is my goal.

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:38 p.m.

Needs moar squats.

Lift with your glutes, not with your quads.

Ya I agree about the squats. The workout I posted is for the first month, my workout for month 2 is as follows:

Squat 5x5
Incline DB Press 5x5
Dips 4xF
DB hang clean and press 5x5
Barbell row 5x5
Pull ups 4xF
KB circuit x4

I plan to rotate between these two workouts for 4 months, the move to more unilateral training and lighter weights. I am training for overall strength and fitness, but I plan to focus on more MTB specific training in March. Right now I am looking to make some serious gains in my compound lifts

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

You have curls, tricep extensions and dips which overlap with the close grip bench. That's a ton of arm work when you've mostly avoided leg work. If you want to gain mass and overall strength you need to involve your hips and posterior chain! Where are the squats, lunges, jumping? These are way more important to overall body integration that those isolated arm movements, especially with respect to riding. The hips and posterior chain create the platform on which all the other stuff relies. When you crash hard it's the core strength you build through deadlifting and squatting that protects you; not curls; not situps.

Tons of arm work isn't really functional nor is it going to help build complete strength. How much strength/mass do you think you'll gain with bigger arms versus the gains your could make in your hamstrings, quads and glutes? The hips drive the machine.

Pull-ups are also conspicuously absent. If you're doing close grip bench and pullups you really don't need to do any curls. Spend that time on lunges and jumping. Your riding will thank you!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 1, 2012, 2:21 p.m.

I think your workout could use a bit more upper torso.

Nov. 1, 2012, 2:35 p.m.

Needs more beer

Nov. 1, 2012, 2:44 p.m.

You have curls, tricep extensions and dips which overlap with the close grip bench. That's a ton of arm work when you've mostly avoided leg work. If you want to gain mass and overall strength you need to involve your hips and posterior chain! Where are the squats, lunges, jumping? These are way more important to overall body integration that those isolated arm movements, especially with respect to riding. The hips and posterior chain create the platform on which all the other stuff relies. When you crash hard it's the core strength you build through deadlifting and squatting that protects you; not curls; not situps.

Tons of arm work isn't really functional nor is it going to help build complete strength. How much strength/mass do you think you'll gain with bigger arms versus the gains your could make in your hamstrings, quads and glutes? The hips drive the machine.

Pull-ups are also conspicuously absent. If you're doing close grip bench and pullups you really don't need to do any curls. Spend that time on lunges and jumping. Your riding will thank you!

Agree … if you are preping for riding, offseason is the time to develop your hips, core, strength and explosive power in your legs for riding. Riding season is the payoff when you put them to use. You do the off-bike work during the off-season because you can't do all that leg and core work and still have the energy and power to give it all on the bike during the ride season.

Some upper body is fine, but I'm inclined to suggest working with compound movements in sync with the core, hips and legs, focusing on explosive, fluid motion. You probably don't need upper body bulk, if anything it will tend to make you top-heavy and weigh you down on uphills and on jumps.

Nov. 1, 2012, 5:39 p.m.

ditch that and start from scratch.

first, define some clear goals of what you want to get from your training. what are you training for? then determine how much time you have to commit to it and decide (realistically) how much effort you're going to put into it. once you've determined that then factor in your current lifestyle/schedule so you can determine what type of training schedule is actually possible. come back with that info and we can put something together for you.

the first suggestion i'll make though is if you're really serious about getting strong go with a 4x/wk routine as 4 days per week allows for a much better split between workouts.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 3, 2012, 1:33 a.m.

I've been doing

20 mins warm up run
5 x 5 squats
5 x 5 bench press
5 x 5 dead lift
5 x 5 press
5 x 5 wide grip chins
5 x 5 dips

3 x per week with some high intensity boxing type intervals (skipping, bag work) once a week and some yoga.
I've been hugely pleased with the results. Moar muscle and less fat.