Raffi Torres

April 21, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

How was the Duncan Keith elbow any less worse… had Daniel not been able to play on Wednesday, the Canucks would have already been teeing off. Keith gets a whole 5 games? inconsistent…

The Keith elbow was way worse. It was premeditated retribution and deliberate impact to the head far away from the play.

Torres was in the play of hockey. He just has a style of hitting that isn't acceptable in the game any more. Scott Stevens was a hero for his hits, Torres may have ended his career.

April 21, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

25 is retarded. should have been 6-10 tops considering his past. the only reason raffi is being suspended is because hossa got hurt, if hossa did not get hurt there would be no suspension at all.

shanahan has failed at reforming league discipline.

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

April 21, 2012, 1:40 p.m.

NHL is a joke. You know it's bad when a bunch of people on a mountain bike internet forum feel they can do a better job then your chief disciplinarian - and they're right.

April 21, 2012, 5:17 p.m.

Why not just have a rule that the player who puts someone out is out till that person can
play again? That would stop this shit real quick. It would go both ways too. You get hit
and play the next game the guy who hit you can play too (last years Rome suspension).

Maybe get rid of the hard plastic on the elbows and shoulders too. I bet people would be
hitting so hard if they had a couple layers of foam vs the hard plastic they have now.

While we're at it, get rid of the trapezoid too. And go with the Olympic style icing rule
as well.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

April 22, 2012, 6:58 a.m.

Agree with the Torres suspension or not, with the example made and the bar being set, what I find interesting is - how will star player suspensions be dealt with?
We are mid way in the first round with much hockey yet to be played. Ovechkin and Malkin both have "histories" and like to play on the edge. Are we going to see outrageous suspensions for the games elite as well?
One must shake their head when Weber drives a head into the glass after a whistle for $2500 and Torres sits for 25 for a hit that had his feet stayed on the ice would have been "a good hockey play".
Should be very interesting to see how this plays out. Adds another dynamic to the playoffs!

April 22, 2012, 10:40 a.m.

Why not just have a rule that the player who puts someone out is out till that person can
play again? That would stop this shit real quick. It would go both ways too. You get hit
and play the next game the guy who hit you can play too (last years Rome suspension).

Maybe get rid of the hard plastic on the elbows and shoulders too. I bet people would be
hitting so hard if they had a couple layers of foam vs the hard plastic they have now.

While we're at it, get rid of the trapezoid too. And go with the Olympic style icing rule
as well.

Can't have suspensions based on the injured player. Too much room for a 4th line punter faking it to keep a better player out.

I'm curious why they can't use D3O padding for hockey. It seems less likely to injure than hard plastic, but I've never played the game so I don't know.

What if the rules were changed to end this "finishing your check" attitude. The intent of a hit is to knock the player off the puck so your team can gain possession. Hits that aren't in that context are illegal. It's a real shame though that players have to be saved from themselves.

April 22, 2012, 11:45 a.m.

Can't have suspensions based on the injured player. Too much room for a 4th line punter faking it to keep a better player out.

I'm curious why they can't use D3O padding for hockey. It seems less likely to injure than hard plastic, but I've never played the game so I don't know.

What if the rules were changed to end this "finishing your check" attitude. The intent of a hit is to knock the player off the puck so your team can gain possession. Hits that aren't in that context are illegal. It's a real shame though that players have to be saved from themselves.

I've played hockey my whole life, and after I saw it utilized in the 661 gear, hockey was my first thought. hard plastic for shins, helmet and cup, everything else can be d3o, would be nice to have d3o around the back of the shin pads, and think how less restrictive shoulder pads could be!

April 22, 2012, 12:35 p.m.

maybe if those guys actually tightened their chin straps…