Question for Technologists?

April 27, 2009, 8:59 a.m.

I did my masters degree and worked as a lab technician for 12 years.

With this degree I found my options to be more limited since I had to be in a big city and work at a University or a biotech lab.

At my job, I did go to the hospital to have the techs do some tests that we couldn't do.

My perception of their job it that it is very routine, 9-5 but stable. There is not a lot of room for advancement.

My decision to not get a higher degree is because most people who actually run labs with a phd, are mostly writing grants, schmoozing for grants/collaboration and running the lab. Not really doing any of the fun work.

I could have done more with my Masters degree, but that would leave less time for the fun stuff in life, like going away on bike and ski trips.

Bottom line - higher degrees give you more potential but you will define yourself by your career. Tech degrees get you a job and leave you more time to ( after 5:00 and on weekends…) to do what you want to do.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

April 27, 2009, 9 a.m.

I have a tech diploma from SAIT. At the time it was right for me. I had been working at a nowhere (although good) job for quite a few years prior to going back to school and I wanted to be back in the work force as quickly as possible. I wouldn't go for a degree if I could do it again. For me, getting a degree seemed to be taking the long way to get to same place. I got what I needed from my tech diploma and that has been good enough for me.

April 27, 2009, 9:01 a.m.

haha, case and point!

I have a poli sci uni degree and a TS dip in programming (though I don't program now). The TS dip got me into an entry level position at a local tech company, but the university degree opened the doors after that. When I was in the consulting arm, I greenlighted a couple of guys to my boss (back when we were hiring). My boss passed on both telling me the lack of uni degree was a point of concern.

While it's easy to pick apart the Art degrees, they teach some valuable skills in communication, analytical thinking, and how to construct/deconstruct an argument. These turn out to be very valuable skills depending on where you end up in an organization.

April 27, 2009, 9:07 a.m.

While it's easy to pick apart the Art degrees, they teach some valuable skills in communication, analytical thinking, and how to construct/deconstruct an argument. These turn out to be very valuable skills for trolling on nbr

Fixed.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 27, 2009, 9:09 a.m.

I have a poli sci uni degree and a TS dip in programming (though I don't program now). The TS dip got me into an entry level position at a local tech company, but the university degree opened the doors after that. When I was in the consulting arm, I greenlighted a couple of guys to my boss (back when we were hiring). My boss passed on both telling me the lack of uni degree was a point of concern.

While it's easy to pick apart the Art degrees, they teach some valuable skills in communication, analytical thinking, and how to construct/deconstruct an argument. These turn out to be very valuable skills depending on where you end up in an organization.

I think my post came across wrong, I wasn't meaning to slight those degrees (though that is the general attitude in an engineering faculty). I was more trying to say that a huge number of the people I talk to in those faculties, even in the latter half of their degree, have no clue how they are going to turn around and find a career with their education. Most cases it requires continuing on and acquiring your masters, if not phd.

As a result of this, many don't progress immediately after their bachelors degree…working low paying jobs or travelling. (not that I wouldn't love to travel)

I would absolutely love taking some classes from other faculties, most likely Philosophy or History. I think it would benefit me both personally, and professionally. I don't think I would take a degree in either though.

Bicycles!

April 27, 2009, 9:10 a.m.

As said before in a different way, uni prepares you to think and learn, tech schools prepare you for a job.

The first part of your statement makes me laugh. Tech schools do not produce robots that are only capable of repeating what they learned in school. There is no justification for stating a university grad has been prepared to learn and think more so than a tech school grad.

April 27, 2009, 9:15 a.m.

The first part of your statement makes me laugh. Tech schools do not produce robots that are only capable of repeating what they learned in school. There is no justification for stating a university grad has been prepared to learn and think more so than a tech school grad.

While it would be stupid to say that tech school grads don't have the capacity to think and learn, I do think that university provides more training into learning skills, instead of hard technical learning such as at tech schools.

Strictly based on each school's philosophies on what to teach, I'd disagree with you.

Bicycles!

April 27, 2009, 9:16 a.m.

Worst part is what type of degree you have - arts/science - depends on the school. Crim/psych degree @ UBC is a science degree, @ SFU the same degree is an arts degree.

Whatever you do - get more than high school :D

April 27, 2009, 9:18 a.m.

I did the BCIT 2yr Electrical Engineering, got a job, then went back at night school and was one of the first through their B. Tech program. In hindsight a 4yr Eng degree would have been less painfull (night school sucks) but then again I was working and earning $$$. Overall though I think I got a more well-rounded education, more hands-on experience and it gave me a chance to make money sooner.

I think if I had gone to UBC at 18 I would have partied my face off and failed out, so I guess you could say it was a good choice in retrospect. There is virtually no social scene at BCIT.

- A

April 27, 2009, 9:19 a.m.

The main problem I found with my diploma is that I am now running out of options for a long term career. I've been working in the field quite a bit, but now want a bit more out of a career….

So I'm going for the best of both worlds… working towards my degree online through Athabasca U. and still keeping my current employment.

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten the degree first.

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream:

April 27, 2009, 9:31 a.m.

Didn't say that at all. I think you're reading too much into it.

April 27, 2009, 9:40 a.m.

While it would be stupid to say that tech school grads don't have the capacity to think and learn, I do think that university provides more training into learning skills, instead of hard technical learning such as at tech schools.

Strictly based on each school's philosophies on what to teach, I'd disagree with you.

Interesting-I have been under the misconception that learning comes from inside-a persons desire for knowledge-not a skill gained from being provided a diverse curriculum to work through.

April 27, 2009, 9:42 a.m.

Didn't say that at all. I think you're reading too much into it.

Yer probably right.

April 27, 2009, 9:46 a.m.

Interesting-I have been under the misconception that learning comes from inside-a persons desire for knowledge-not a skill gained from being provided a diverse curriculum to work through.

Whether any one individual from a uni/tech background has this/that skill-set is immaterial. There is a societal preconception that university grad=critical thinker.

To the OP, the notion that tech. school grads are robo-monkeys will plague you forever. Be prepared if you go that route, it will be up to you to overcome the bias.

April 27, 2009, 9:54 a.m.

TS = cockfest
Uni = sexy women