question for parents

March 20, 2015, 9:13 p.m.

do any of you worry about the appeal of radical Islam and are you concerned that your children may be attracted to it, join it, etc?

March 20, 2015, 9:24 p.m.

Well my kid is three so Im more worried about him discovering the reaction he gets when he throws his feces on me, radical Islam couldnt handle my kid…seriously

March 20, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

Not too concerned: http://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/squamish-canada-s-most-non-religious-town-1.1047393

March 20, 2015, 9:56 p.m.

As an athiest I do struggle with how to teach my kids to respect others' beliefs while also explaining why a frightening number of apparently sane "grown ups" believe a bunch of made up crap.

March 20, 2015, 10:12 p.m.

do any of you worry about the appeal of radical Islam and are you concerned that your children may be attracted to it, join it, etc?

I'm more concerned my children will believe the earth is 6000 years old.

Teach them to question everything, including you.

It's worked very well for me, but I might be leaving things out.

March 20, 2015, 11:03 p.m.

my children, er, cats seem to question my every move.

March 20, 2015, 11:20 p.m.

It is pretty appealing to kids.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 20, 2015, 11:26 p.m.

It's doubtful the radical interpretation of Islam is what's actually enticing people into the ranks of movements such as IS, save for a few headcases. A bullied, squandered, and lost generation of Muslims who are clawing for the opportunity to get an edge up are more likely to comprise the flock.

The only people I encounter daily who actively and openly display Christian faith are beggars on the street, trying to make a buck and get an edge up. If or when Canada plummets into a state of economic despair… If or when struggle is introduced into our currently tranquil, guaranteed way of life, then I would be concerned with radical religious groups. A resurgence of radical Bible thumping is more likely the threat that will become prevalent, the infrastructure is already present.

March 21, 2015, 12:11 a.m.

Not too concerned: http://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/squamish-canada-s-most-non-religious-town-1.1047393

Hard to believe. Campbell River has a lot of churches and a couple Christian schools.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 21, 2015, 12:58 a.m.

When I was a kid I heard about this thing called church, I went and asked my mom what it was so she took me to a Sunday service. I was immediately surprised by how friendly everyone was. They didn't recognize us and were practically lining up to introduce themselves and offer help getting to know the congregation.

The service started. My mom in a hushed whisper explained Christianity, who Jesus was, what people believe he did for us etc.. she sang the hymns with me, took communion with me and gave me some money to put in the collection plate.

On the drive home I had millions of questions that she answered truthfully always phrasing her answers like "many people believe…." AND NEVER ONCE GAVE HER OWN OPINION.

After a loooong discussion about god and Christianity she asked me if I wanted to go to church again the following Sunday. I said I wasn't really sure if I believed any of it was true and that I didn't want to go. She said "Fine, up to you." That was the first and last time we went to church.

www.natooke.com

March 21, 2015, 1:03 a.m.

I'm no more worried about them turning to radical Islam than I am about them turning into rightwing nutcases, bible thumpers or the like and a lot less worried than I am about them being bullied (IRL or on the interwebz) and driven into depression/anorexia/suicide, turning into druggies/drunks, getting abducted/raped or just plain old hit by a car (cars kill a lot more people per year than the IS, I think, on the other hand, unlike the IS, cars have some use), getting cancer etc. So I must confess, my children turning to radical Islam is quite far from the top of my list of worries about them.

March 21, 2015, 1:08 a.m.

I'm no more worried about them turning to radical Islam than I am about them turning into rightwing nutcases, bible thumpers or the like and a lot less worried than I am about them being bullied (IRL or on the interwebz) and driven into depression/anorexia/suicide, turning into druggies/drunks, getting abducted/raped or just plain old hit by a car (cars kill a lot more people per year than the IS, I think, on the other hand, unlike the IS, cars have some use), getting cancer etc. So I must confess, my children turning to radical Islam is quite far from the top of my list of worries about them.

Get outta here with your rational fears!!

www.natooke.com

March 21, 2015, 4:40 a.m.

Instill a strong love of bacon into your children, and you won't have to worry aboot them becoming a muslim radical.

Instill a strong love of bikes into your children, and you won't have to worry aboot them having any leftover money for drugs.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 21, 2015, 6:15 a.m.

I'm probably more worried about my kids becoming intolerrant of muslims or other people of extreme faith than I am of them becoming radicallized by isis.Tolerrance is one of the most important things that I can teach my children.

March 21, 2015, 7:17 a.m.

Get outta here with your rational fears!!

ISIS ( Canadians): 6
Cars (Canada): 1500/year

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/14/pro-isis-twitter-account-claims-canadian-who-started-in-video-threatening-attacks-back-home-is-dead/

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/health112a-eng.htm

However, if you are Muslim or any other civilian in ISIS territory, the odds of them killing you allegedly drastically change.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/07/isis-s-gruesome-muslim-death-toll.html

What makes this 26-page report (PDF) so powerful is that it describes to us the gruesome circumstances in which ISIS has killed fellow Muslims. We are talking beheadings, killing of women for objecting to ISIS’ policies, and executing Sunni Muslim clerics for refusing to swear allegiance to ISIS.

Why is this important? This information can hopefully help dissuade other Muslims from joining or financially supporting ISIS. And it may even persuade other Muslim countries to join or increase their efforts in fighting ISIS. The reason being that slaughtering fellow Muslims is seen as universally wrong across the Muslim world and as a violation of Islamic values. In fact, Al Qaeda has even publicly criticized ISIS for this very conduct.

Here's the UN report:

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/IQ/UNAMI_OHCHR_POC_Report_FINAL_6July_10September2014.pdf