question for parents

March 21, 2015, 7:34 a.m.

Wow parents are scared of everything eh, raise a decent kid and I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Teach them right from wrong, how to stand up for themselves and not rely on others and you have nothing to worry about in these regards.
Maybe focus on logical fears, like your kid not wanting to wear a helmet on the trails, or drugs.

March 21, 2015, 7:57 a.m.

Scientology scares me more than ISIS.

March 21, 2015, 8:48 a.m.

I'm more scared of Harper than I am of ISIS.

www.natooke.com

March 21, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

If my kid managed to get to SYRIA, and I didn't see it coming… I'd only have to go so far as to look into a mirror. There I would use hindsight to find who could've made the biggest impact in my childs' life and who may have made the biggest difference in preventing them from going.

This is an issue to be dealt with within the home. Playing the 'think of the children' card for society to solve this issue will lead to very real consequences that the entire society will pay for over generations; wasted time, political misdirection, increased snooping laws - such as C-51 giving police access to aboriginal status records, new travel criteria, and allowing police to access Health Canada's Records. Wtf is health Canada gonna know about ISIS recuits and terrorism?

All to prevent what? Maybe 12 kids, out of MILLIONs of [HTML_REMOVED] 18 y/o, from following through with a stupid idea? I'd sooner place all that public time [HTML_REMOVED] effort in nearly ANYTHING else on the list of problems we need to tackle as a country.

But what about stopping those who are preying on the children?

F-ck that nonsense. ISIS recruiting falls on the FRINGES of issues in the "preying on children" genre. Let's compare ISIS preying to the scale of; domestic sexual exploitation of minors, domestic drugs [HTML_REMOVED] gang recruiting and domestic generational family abuse.

March 21, 2015, 10:44 a.m.

Wow parents are scared of everything eh, raise a decent kid and I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Teach them right from wrong, how to stand up for themselves and not rely on others and you have nothing to worry about in these regards.
Maybe focus on logical fears, like your kid not wanting to wear a helmet on the trails, or drugs.

logical fears like strava heat maps?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 21, 2015, 10:50 a.m.

This. There are a lot more credible, meaningful threats here than ISIS.

March 21, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

I see you have been paying attention to the greatest threat to mankind.
WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE SECRET TRAILS?!

March 21, 2015, 8:12 p.m.

Heck I'm more scared of Christy Clark than ISIS

March 21, 2015, 10:19 p.m.

Is this conversation happening?

diggin

March 21, 2015, 11:28 p.m.

Bingo. Nailed it.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

March 22, 2015, 12:04 a.m.

Bill C51 will mandate any Strava segment that doesn't have positive gradient as dangerous.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 22, 2015, 12:54 a.m.

I reckon if ISIS rock up on the Shore me and my boozy buddies could handle those fuckers. I'm more concerned if Singlecoil and it's rage finally arrives. Then we are in trouble. No more "intoxicated" nightrides, no more riding with a hangover, no more civil discourse on internet forums. And I'll probably have to wear full length bib tights every time I ride my bike to cover up my unshaven legs.

March 22, 2015, 6:36 a.m.

I reckon if ISIS rock up on the Shore me and my boozy buddies could handle those fuckers. I'm more concerned if Singlecoil and it's rage finally arrives. Then we are in trouble. No more "intoxicated" nightrides, no more riding with a hangover, no more civil discourse on internet forums. And I'll probably have to wear full length bib tights every time I ride my bike to cover up my unshaven legs.

1. Your beast legs are ungodly
2. My quip about drinking was just that, a quip - I just don't see drinking as something to brag about, much like I don't brag about smoking fatties and smashing single track.
3. Riding with a hangover is painful, do you not feel pain?
4. Can you teach me to not feel pain?
5. I just can't stand people who flip out over something like keeping a ride log - especially when I mentioned using a watch and keeping things private (ie. Off strava)
6. I land on the 31st.
…and what's civil about calling someone a cumguzzling douche? Lol.
Seriously. I ain't here to ruin trails and cause problems, meet me in person and we might even get along, unless you try to force feed me dark ales with your "boozy friends", thank god some genius invented the pilsner and lager.

March 22, 2015, 8:42 a.m.

Lots of churches in this town, I thot it all went along swimmingly with the church folk all taking care of one another but a non-religious counselor type told me there are all kinds of problems that happen when a member of the fam doesn't believe… could be the wife could be the kid

If yer kid or wife believes something religious or otherwise you have no control you can't really stop them and being the resident old fuck I have been thru it

Rather than ISIS I believe the real threat is Harper, your kid has a much bigger chance of growing up to be a young conservative who maybe tries to rig the election process than wearing bedsheets in the desert

March 22, 2015, 12:16 p.m.

who said i had kids?