Quebec's Values Charter

Sept. 14, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

Yep, I was just asking for your take on that piece.

I that case personally I think it's bullshit.

That said if the people of Quebec really feel this legislation will help to keep their french culture french, VOTE TO SUPPORT IT and make it their provincial policy we can do nothing about it.

Multiculturalism is it a failure?

Sept. 14, 2013, 5:44 p.m.

Catholic Xenophobic hypocrites

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Sept. 14, 2013, 7:17 p.m.

You might be doing it wrong when the die hard sovereigntist's are trying to get as far from this as they can.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mp-expelled-by-bloc-over-quebec-values-charter-to-sit-as-an-independent/article14305907/

Parti Québécois minister Bernard Drainville said he wanted to get rid of the “party line” in Quebec’s fractious debate on religious accommodation when he announced a plan to impose a dress code for religious public employees. Instead, he’s drawn one through the heart of his own movement.

A revolt gained momentum Friday within the forces struggling for Quebec independence as former stalwarts, including one-time premiers Jacques Parizeau and Bernard Landry, revealed their unhappiness with the strong-arm tactics being used to sell a PQ plan to limit the religious dress of practising Muslims, Sikhs and others in the provincial public service.

Long-simmering dissension over the place of visible minorities in Quebec blew into the open with the expulsion from the Bloc Québécois of MP Maria Mourani, who openly criticized the charter for being draconian and an appeal to populist intolerance.
And resistance wasn’t just among the movement’s elite: Former Bloc staffers and several riding executives spoke out or quit over the charter or Ms. Mourani’s expulsion. Several prominent sovereigntist entertainers were also critical.

Mr. Parizeau’s wife and former member of the National Assembly, Lisette Lapointe, blasted the “believe or die” attitude of the Bloc. But while she was harsh on the expulsion of Ms. Mourani, she also objected to the portion of the PQ charter dealing with hijabs, turbans, kippas and other religious garments. She also made it clear in one radio interview that her husband, who could not be reached for comment Friday, is on her side.

“The PQ needs to split their project in two. We’re all for a charter of secular values, but on banning religious symbols, they need to do their homework,” she said.

For his part, Mr. Landry said he supports the charter, but described the ejection of Ms. Mourani, a personal friend, as “catastrophic

The sovereignty movement and the PQ spent decades working on their relationship with Quebec minority groups, particularly after the night of the 1995 referendum, when Mr. Parizeau said Quebec independence was narrowly lost because of money and ethnic votes. Many in Quebec, starting with Ms. Mourani, are beginning to wonder whether the Charter of Quebec Values will do even more damage than the statement did.

Ms. Mourani, a 44-year-old of Lebanese origin who will now sit in Parliament as an independent, has been trying to convince Quebec minority groups of the value of Quebec independence for more than 10 years. She said Friday that she’s no longer sure she has a place in the struggle.

“Since I started as an activist, I’ve sensed this tension in the independence movement,” Ms. Mourani said. “But the leadership and the majority of party activists always managed to chase away the demons of populist intolerance. So now I ask, have times changed?”

Ms. Mourani said substantial damage is being done to race relations in Quebec. “I’m getting e-mails from Saguenay from people who have never met a Muslim who think they’ve seen it all because they’ve seen Taliban on TV,” Ms. Mourani said. “They have an extremely negative perception.”

An Angus-Reid poll conducted this week showed two-thirds of Quebeckers support the charter. Support for the measures proposed in the charter has remained relatively unchanged for months, even before it was officially unveiled. But Ms. Mourani said she is confident that Quebeckers will come around after considering its impact.

“Once they meet different people, Quebeckers aren’t intolerant,” she said, adding that a normal government would usually help in that bridge-building effort. “It’s very simple. Put $2-million into informing people in all Quebec about the beauty of difference instead of putting money into selling your charter.”

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 14, 2013, 7:33 p.m.

I think it's their statement that multiculturalism doesn't work. More than a few people around the world agree with them.

The first act in the elimination of Canadian taxpayer support for activities that support a multicultural Canada should be the elimination of French as an official language, then or have the cost of its continuing status funded entirely by Quebeckers.

Sept. 14, 2013, 7:47 p.m.

Only if they agree to stay the fuck out of the rest of Canada when it comes to driving.

At least they keep right to unless to pass.

Sept. 14, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

At least they keep right to unless to pass.

Myth. Many sit their arse in the passing lane for a 100k.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 14, 2013, 7:55 p.m.

Myth. Many sit their arse in the passing lane for a 100k.

But more of them are in the right lane relative to those west of them. And for that, they have my respect.

Sept. 14, 2013, 11:42 p.m.

Multiculturalism is it a failure?

Quite possibly. Neil Bissoondath raises some interesting points here.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 15, 2013, 1:31 p.m.

im not duncan

Sept. 16, 2013, 4:24 a.m.

Can an immigrant still get their citizenship without knowing either official language?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 16, 2013, 4:28 a.m.

Can an immigrant still get their citizenship without knowing either official language?

The citizenship test is in either English or French… I am honestly surprised that some people I meet in Vancouver were able to pass it, judging by my estimation of how well they would do on a TOEFL test.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Sept. 16, 2013, 7:03 a.m.

Re banning religious symbols in Quebec government, the provincial symbol, le fleur de lis, is a religious symbol itself,representing the holy trinity (father,son and holy ghost).

Have fun with that one Quebec!

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 16, 2013, 11 a.m.

The citizenship test is in either English or French… I am honestly surprised that some people I meet in Vancouver were able to pass it, judging by my estimation of how well they would do on a TOEFL test.

In the past they have been allowed translators, and heard that translators may no longer be allowed.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 16, 2013, 11:46 a.m.

im not duncan

Duly noted. Now I just need Dropsonde to come clean, or else get a prescription for some powerful anti-psychotics.

Re banning religious symbols in Quebec government, the provincial symbol, le fleur de lis, is a religious symbol itself,representing the holy trinity (father,son and holy ghost).

Have fun with that one Quebec!

They will also allow crucifixes in public/government places because of their "historical" value. Bummer - I was hoping to find out what the big cross at the top of Mount Royal would be worth as scrap metal.

Sept. 16, 2013, 12:14 p.m.

As a devout athiest this is one Quebec initative I agree with. I think they should take it a step further and imprison anyone who is seen attending a religious gathering.