Purging of Fisheries Research

Jan. 8, 2014, 9:45 a.m.

Any else read about this? WTF is wrong with this government?

Jan. 8, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

[Any else read about this? WTF is wrong with this government?

Everything.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 8, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

An interesting related read…
http://www.amazon.ca/The-War-Science-Scientists-Blindness/dp/1771004312

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/book-reviews/new-book-dissects-governments-relationship-to-science-but-narrowly/article15955773/

Jan. 8, 2014, 10:19 a.m.

Haven't ya heard you can run the world without science cuz the world is only 6000 yrs old anyhow … same shit is happening in every branch of science

Jan. 8, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

It is just so confusing. I don't think there is anyone on the political spectrum that would support giving away and destroying research that we as tax payers already paid for. Just store it somewhere FFS.

Jan. 8, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

Media tells me its wrong, but as someone who doesn't really care, it doesn't feel wrong..so is the media wrong for trying to make me feel its not right?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 8, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

Evil fucking Harper is evil!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 8, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

Evil fucking Harper is evil!

and he's doing exactly what he was elected to do. OK, well maybe not the Armed Forces bit.

http://www.conservative.ca/?page_id=40

The “Here for Canada” plan focuses on five key priorities:

?Creating jobs through training, trade and low taxes.
?Supporting families through our Family Tax Cut and more support for seniors and caregivers.
?Eliminating the deficit by 2014-2015 by controlling spending and cutting waste.
?Making our streets safe through new laws to protect children and the elderly.
?Standing on guard for Canada by investing in the development of Canada’s North, cracking down on human smuggling and strengthening the Canadian Armed Forces.

No where does he stand for science. In fact, he's set against it…

Now is not the time for instability, or for reckless, opportunistic experiments. The global economy remains fragile, and Canadians remain concerned about their jobs and their children’s future. Stephen Harper has a plan to meet these challenges — a plan that is working — and we need to stay the course.

Jan. 8, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

and he's doing exactly what he was elected to do. OK, well maybe not the Armed Forces bit.

Well, that … and running the largest deficit of any Canadian government. Ever.

Kn.

Jan. 8, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

Well, that … and running the largest deficit of any Canadian government. Ever.

Kn.

I was going to post that if he was elected to reduce the deficit, he's doing a pretty shitty job :lol:

Jan. 8, 2014, 1:46 p.m.

Media tells me its wrong, but as someone who doesn't really care, it doesn't feel wrong..so is the media wrong for trying to make me feel its not right?

Well, I'd like to hear some solid reasoning as to why anyone thinks this action "isn't wrong". But first consider this;

- this whole shut-down of libraries was carried out over the holiday break, with no announcement or media release. Why do this so secretly?

- after the fact, when scientists and the media began to report these closures and and ask questions, the government has responded with lies. Absolute, verifiable, bald-faced lies. Why would the government issue a press release riddled with lies if they fell there is honest justification for the action?

Lie #1 - "Over 95% of the documents are digitized, so nothing of significance will be lost". The people using these collections contend that less than 10% is digitized. Even if 10% were an exaggerated claim, it's still a huge leap to 95%.

Lie #2 - "There is no value for taxpayers as no taxpayers are using the libraries. Only about 5 to 12 people outside of the DFO access the collection in any given year." This is a two-part lie. First, the DFO uses it extensively and the collection was built and maintained for DFO scientist, with the public welcome to access the books and documents. So suggesting that "the public doesn't use it" as an argument that it's of no value is a lie (not to mention that DFO scientists are also taxpayers!). Part two of the lie is that the don't really know who accesses the libraries. Records are not kept, and no surveys have been taken, so what is the basis for this claim? Again, the DFO researchers that use the library contend that the numbers are far higher. But … so what? The library contains invaluable information about Canada's freshwater systems spanning over 100 years. This is important for base line observations about changes to the system. That, in itself, provides a huge value to Canada and Canadians.

Lie #3 - "Millions will be saved with this cost-cutting measure". If this is true, then why does a DFO document marked "secret", acquired Postmedia News, state that savings will be less than a half million dollars yearly. Why destroy documents that took millions of dollars to create for the sake of saving a paltry portion of the cost? What madness is this?

I suggest that this is another move by the cons to delete data that can later be used to prove that their environmental record has (or will have done) great damage to our country. Much of this damage will never be repaired in our lifetimes and probably many generations after.

Kn.

Jan. 8, 2014, 2:04 p.m.

I suggest that this is another move by the cons to delete data that can later be used to prove that their environmental record has (or will have done) great damage to our country. Much of this damage will never be repaired in our lifetimes and probably many generations after.

Kn.

i'd also guess that by destroying the public historical record they're also creating a situation that will make it easier for them to circumvent environmental considerations when it comes resource based projects. it's easier to write the future when there's no know past.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 8, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

Breaking news….politicians are up to no good again.

Reality….from my uncle who is far more educated anything involving DFO then KenN could ever pretend to be. From what he has told me over the years, DFO and such have been manipulating data for years. And he is not surprised t all.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 8, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Breaking news….politicians are up to no good again.

All "up to no good" acts are not equal. Much like "homicide" and "stealing a loaf of bread" are not equal even though both are crimes.

Reality….from my uncle who is far more educated anything involving DFO then KenN could ever pretend to be. From what he has told me over the years, DFO and such have been manipulating data for years. And he is not surprised t all.

I find this a highly dubious claim, but even if true, it doesn't change my stated facts or the government's lies. Why use obvious lies to support their action? Why not say "the data is useless because it's been manipulated for years and here is evidence of the manipulated data?"

But, I suppose the uncle of some guy on the internet is a far better information source than a DFO researcher interviewed by a news reporter.

Kn.

Jan. 8, 2014, 2:36 p.m.

Well, I'd like to hear some solid reasoning as to why anyone thinks this action "isn't wrong".

Kn.

Like anything, it is a matter of perspective. My solid reasoning may not seem sound to you, but to me it's like this. I am not a marine biologist; none of my work or research has been impacted, nor has my quality of life suffered as a result of this decision. Of course it is contentious, as many Canadians oppose the current government. I just think it is more noise.

I still wake up, put on my pants and eat my cereal, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter. And I believe that the majority of Canadians are blissfully ignorant or apathetic to these, and similar actions taken by the government for just this reason. I think people think they have been impacted more by the death of James Avery than by this decision to essentially burn books.

History will decide if the decisions being made are of any consequence, but for the present it isn't important. If it was, the "people" would do something about it. Right?

And so the NSMB turns…heaven forbid a bike manufacturer should develop a new standard. That would really cause some heated discussion.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca