Puppy time?

May 16, 2012, 9:19 a.m.

Alright, so I have been in my new place (townhouse) for about a month and I have gotten the itch to get a dog. I am going to look at a puppies tonight. I have a feeling I am going to fall in love and take one home. I have had dogs growing up and I am not worried about being able to take care of it, I just know it will be a big commitment.

NBR please ease my worries or provide tips :)

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

May 16, 2012, 9:38 a.m.

whatever you do don't buy a puppy from a pet store or other place that gets animals from a "puppy mill"…

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 16, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

I can only recommend rescue dogs / puppies. Why buy a dog when there are so many that are in need of a home. plus mixes have more character! ( sometimes you can get purebread resuces too .. but waiting lists are usually long depending on the breed.)

May 16, 2012, 9:57 a.m.

I can only recommend rescue dogs / puppies. Why buy a dog when there are so many that are in need of a home. plus mixes have more character! ( sometimes you can get purebread resuces too .. but waiting lists are usually long depending on the breed.)

i agree with this as well. some day i will have a dog.

May 16, 2012, 10:31 a.m.

I have only ever owned rescue dogs and they have all been wonderful. They will likely be a handful at first because they have been mistreated or neglected, so be prepared to spend some time and money getting advice on dealing with them. You will also get to feel the special bond with a dog that would probably be dead if it were not for your own generosity. My current dog was kept in a cage at a flea market on sale for $50 and bought and then taken to an animal shelter. She had (and still has) some behavioral problems related to her lack of socialization with other dogs and fear of being alone, but she is now a very special member of our family - and an awesome trail riding dog.

May 16, 2012, 10:36 a.m.

Ditto everything above so far. Ashka was thrown out of someone's window into the snow in Cambridge Bay when she was 8 weeks old, and to cut along story short she is now lying next to me licking her punani….

Here is our coyote / fox crossbreed ;)

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 16, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

That is a cute dog.

May 16, 2012, 11:09 a.m.

If you want a dog that has an attitude more like a cat (doesn't give a fuck and is very independent minded), and leaves hair everywhere, but is awesome, get a siberian husky or a malamute…

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

May 16, 2012, 11:24 a.m.

My adopted dog is awesome. After a month or so she was attached to my side, never leaves, isn't destructive, only barks when something is wrong or she needs help, plays well with all other animals I've introduced her to - rabbits, cats, and small/large breed dogs. The SPCA has been supportive and great through the process, and I've got a loyal playful pet!

May 16, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

this is what happens when you leave a jack russell terrier indoors, alone, during a thunderstorm:

http://i.imgur.com/LP0Ac.jpg

May 16, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

Glad that the rescue thing has worked out for so many people here. But to just to temper the water a little….

Wife spent a lot of time and energy researching breeds/mixes/ages/shelters that would work for us (read: didn't just go get some random dog). When we went to the shelter, we told them we had two cats and that aggressive behavior was a deal breaker. 6 months later, a couple of grand in training, hundreds of hours spent working on the training (so long to that ride season), we had a dog that still was trying to kill our cats and that had drawn blood twice in seperate attacks and my wife's parents basically were scared to come stay with us (ok - maybe that last bit might have been a good thing). I finally had to take the dog back to the shelter and they said - well we told you she was aggressive.

If I went to a shelter again, I'd go with someone that knows dogs and can help spot any warning signs of a troubled dog, or if we were getting a young puppy that hasn't been broken by the shelter experience yet.

Again - glad it's worked for so many here, but when it doesn't work, it's a really shitty experience.

PS: and if the shelter tells you to use Bark Busters - turn around and walk out.

May 16, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

The SPCA in Nanaimo turned us down for the dog we wanted. They seem to be fairly pro-active in giving their dogs lifetime homes, not a revolving door. So i can only speak from my experiences. ( and draw from ones i know of ) Most of the 'mutts' i know of around here tend to be reserve dogs, and they have quite the mix to them. alot of shepard/lab/retriver / hound, some with rottie or pittie in them, but not so common. At least the dilution of all the 'breeding' tends to bring out healthier dogs with less joint problems, temperment issues, ect that you get with common breeds. It seems to be the same all around north america, where you are getting 'dogs' as i've run into pound dogs from utah, montana, all over bc and alberta that could be a litter mate of my own dog.

May 16, 2012, 12:48 p.m.

Ahhh Puppies!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dyIAorEVZ0

May 16, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

Here's my lil beauty Raine

May 16, 2012, 12:54 p.m.

If your townhome is a strata check the bylaws - many strata's have bylaws that either prohibit dogs or limit them by size or weight.

It would suck to rescue a dog only to have to have it rescued again.