PUMPKIN BEERS

Oct. 18, 2014, 8:02 a.m.

The thing is, Guinness is a great beer. Sometimes though I like something different.
In my experience limited batch "flavoured" beers are the best alternative.

Oct. 18, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

Best is SouthernTier Imperial Pumpking.

who sells it?

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Oct. 18, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

Pumpkin belongs in pie not beer.

Oct. 18, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

The thing is, Guinness is a great beer. Sometimes though I like something different.
In my experience limited batch "flavoured" beers are the best alternative.

I like the black [HTML_REMOVED] blue or black [HTML_REMOVED] blonde at the Irish Pubs in Whistler

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 18, 2014, 11 p.m.

who sells it?

Not in Van. I've got it in Bellingham before.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 18, 2014, 11:24 p.m.

First year Howe Sound Pumpkin Eater was good. Seems something changed.

The rest I've tasted are bleh.

I was in there a few years ago and tried a sample of it and thought it was pretty good. Later on I bought a bottle at a liquor store and thought it tasted pretty crappy???

Not a big beer drinker and keep it pretty simple, so flavoured beers are usually not my thing.

Oct. 21, 2014, 1:31 a.m.

Phillips brewing in Victoria. Crooked Tooth Pumpkin Ale is pretty good. They do a ginger ale that has got a pretty good kick to it too. Awesome with sushi.

dont know what happened to phillips but it seems that in the last year they changed something up. slipstream used to be one of my favorite beers and they changed the label and at the same time it started to suck sacks…. the old label with the bikes said cream ale and the new one just says ale, coincidence? i think not. now with this years crooked tooth tasting like the flavor you get after puking pumpkin pie and 6pack of carlsberg up i have to say i am not impressed.
if i ever see this phillip guy i'm kicking him in the nuts.

ps: i still like blue buck but that doesnt earn you a "get out of a kick in the nuts" card.

Oct. 21, 2014, 4:42 a.m.

^ thank you, a good laugh to start my day.

Oct. 21, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

We tried to drink them all (including one home brew). They won.

Favourites were the Elysian, Howe Sound [HTML_REMOVED] Nelson.

Oct. 21, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

somebody gave me a bottle of Harvest Pumpkin Spiced by Prohibition Brewing out of Kelowna, gona talk it to a beer tasting soiree

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

Schoenrock made me laugh out loud!
I too have noticed that master brewers like to change the recipe. Pisses me off.
Duvel was a great Belgian beer. Use to have a chill haze so it always looked cloudy. Then they must have cold filtered it for us Canadians. Stripped the beer of all its funky flavors!
I have been told the Red Racer pumpkin beer is good. Will try it tonight.

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Schoenrock made me laugh out loud!
I too have noticed that master brewers like to change the recipe. Pisses me off.
Duvel was a great Belgian beer. Use to have a chill haze so it always looked cloudy. Then they must have cold filtered it for us Canadians. Stripped the beer of all its funky flavors!
I have been told the Red Racer pumpkin beer is good. Will try it tonight.

I believe it's bottle conditioned, so it could be that the solids crashed out to the bottom of the bottle when it was chilled. If you like the haze, gently swirl the bottle before pouring.

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

dont know what happened to phillips but it seems that in the last year they changed something up. slipstream used to be one of my favorite beers and they changed the label and at the same time it started to suck sacks…. the old label with the bikes said cream ale and the new one just says ale, coincidence? i think not. now with this years crooked tooth tasting like the flavor you get after puking pumpkin pie and 6pack of carlsberg up i have to say i am not impressed.
if i ever see this phillip guy i'm kicking him in the nuts.

ps: i still like blue buck but that doesnt earn you a "get out of a kick in the nuts" card.

Phillips has been going downhill for a few years now. Their jump to larger scale production I think killed some of the flavour. Blue Buck doesn't taste like it used too. Also Phillips focuses too much on hops. Most of their hoppy beers seem to have the same flavour profile, just in different concentrations.

I've met Matt Phillips a couple of times, he's a good guy, but I'm pretty sure he's taken a backseat in flavour production at the brewery for a while now.

Oct. 22, 2014, 1:16 p.m.

I believe it's bottle conditioned, so it could be that the solids crashed out to the bottom of the bottle when it was chilled. If you like the haze, gently swirl the bottle before pouring.

No Duvel does not do a secondary fermentation in the bottle. The chill haze WAS from all the goodness left in the batch.Chill haze is caused by the malt. The Belgans assume that we like clear beer.
Ever had Guinness stout in Ireland? Not the same as what they ship here. The Irish assume that we will not be happy with a beer at 3.5% alcohol so they make a more potent version for our country. Thing is it is NOT the original stout from Ireland even though it is brewed in Ireland. The Guinness brewed by Labatts is garbage.
Cascade and Citra hops are over used in North American brewries. Plenty of hop smack, cheap and boring. I prefer old school English hops.
But i digress.

Oct. 22, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

No Duvel does not do a secondary fermentation in the bottle. The chill haze WAS from all the goodness left in the batch.Chill haze is caused by the malt. The Belgans assume that we like clear beer.
Ever had Guinness stout in Ireland? Not the same as what they ship here. The Irish assume that we will not be happy with a beer at 3.5% alcohol so they make a more potent version for our country. Thing is it is NOT the original stout from Ireland even though it is brewed in Ireland. The Guinness brewed by Labatts is garbage.
Cascade and Citra hops are over used in North American brewries. Plenty of hop smack, cheap and boring. I prefer old school English hops.
But i digress.

Duvel, like a lot of belgian beers (especially trappist beers) are bottle conditioned, which will mean a small amount of yeast residue in the bottom.
Chill haze is something different, and it's generally considered undesirable in beer. cloudiness is not necessarily chill haze.

Not sure what Guiness has to do with anything, and uncertain why you are rallying against two hop varieties when there are so many more out there.