Provincial Election 2020

Sept. 23, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: chupacabra

I am with you guys. Got my mail-in ballot coming because fuck lines. Also, fuck the Liberals until they clean house and go back to looking like a Liberal party so I will vote NDP while holding my nose.

What do you mean, go back to being a liberal party? They have never been a liberal party, ever.

I think they were before Gordo, but they were never really relevant in BC politics before then.  Gordo went full monty and turned them into Neoliberals.

Last edited by: KenN on Sept. 23, 2020, 8:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 23, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

I am with you guys.  Got my mail-in ballot coming because fuck lines.  Also, fuck the Liberals until they clean house and go back to looking like a Liberal party so I will vote NDP while holding my nose.

What do you mean, go back to being a liberal party? They have never been a liberal party, ever.

They started out as one when Wilson took over the party.  Wilson did really well in debate and managed to take the party to success with a bunch of seats in the '91 election.  They were a Liberal party at that time but Campbell ousted him when it was exposed that he was shagging Judy Tyabji and that is when they became the BC Liberals we know now.

Sept. 23, 2020, 11:48 a.m.

I am with you guys.  Got my mail-in ballot coming because fuck lines.  Also, fuck the Liberals until they clean house and go back to looking like a Liberal party so I will vote NDP while holding my nose.

They started out as one when Wilson took over the party.  Wilson did really well in debate and managed to take the party to success with a bunch of seats in the '91 election.  They were a Liberal party at that time but Campbell ousted him when it was exposed that he was shagging Judy Tyabji and that is when they became the BC Liberals we know now.

Who was Social Credit again?

Sept. 23, 2020, 12:20 p.m.

Sept. 23, 2020, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Vander Zalm is the one everyone remembers., but a lot of them became Liberals.  I read a description once that sums them up.  They are the sometimes right, sometimes center, but always against the NDP party.

Sept. 23, 2020, 1:45 p.m.

Try splaining to someone who is not from BC that there is no provincial conservative party but the liberals are the conservatives

all the history & time lines are on wiki btw

Sept. 23, 2020, 1:52 p.m.

I give Social Credit a Faye Leung grade ...

Badum ... tssssh.

Sept. 23, 2020, 5:47 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

I give Social Credit a Faye Leung grade ...

Badum ... tssssh.

Do a little research, the liberal party, (I’ll use the term loosely) was born out of the ashes of the Social Credit party who were very conservative. The socreds lost to the NDP in a landslide and not long after changed leaders and changed the party name to the Liberal party. Does fantasy gardens ring a bell. 

Thought we’d been through this.🤔😁

Sept. 23, 2020, 10:34 p.m.

That's right. I was alive then.

Sept. 24, 2020, 8:15 a.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/the-bc-liberal-party-1.863627

Gordon Wilson’s Liberals weren’t born out of SoCred ashes.  I remember watching the debate where Wilson was looking to establish the BC Libs as a viable party.   NDP and SC were on stage and Wilson got in his big moment: “This is why Nothing gets done in BC”.

Sept. 24, 2020, 9:41 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/the-bc-liberal-party-1.863627

Gordon Wilson’s Liberals weren’t born out of SoCred ashes.  I remember watching the debate where Wilson was looking to establish the BC Libs as a viable party.   NDP and SC were on stage and Wilson got in his big moment: “This is why Nothing gets done in BC”.

Ya, that was his big moment for sure.  He was a family friend and my mom did a lot of campaign work for him.  She was pretty pissed about the Tyabji affair but followed him to the PDA which didn't go anywhere.  I am too lazy to look it up but I think it was when Campbell took over that former SoCreds moved in as well since they no longer had a viable party.

Sept. 24, 2020, 9:59 a.m.

^^ yep - that's correct.  once Wilson got booted out, Campbell and a bunch of ex-SoCreds moved in.

Sept. 24, 2020, 3:05 p.m.

I still remember seeing some of the end bit of the leadership convention.  Both Gordons were on stage and just at the moment Campbell was declared the winner - Wilson grabbed Judy by the hand and muttered "we're out of here".

At the time I thought "holy shit, what an incredibly bad loser".  In retrospect, I'm wondering whether he saw then what Campbell was going to do to the Liberal party and wanted no part of it.

Sept. 24, 2020, 5:04 p.m.

Bill Vander Zam was a Liberal before he joined the Socreds.

Sept. 24, 2020, 5:05 p.m.

From the party that can’t handle their alcohol from the top down. 

Hip hop for hypocrites. 

“Getting DUIs in Hawaii is just a fun time in everyone’s life that we eventually grow out of”