Pros and Cons of living on the Sunshine Coast

Jan. 23, 2010, 11:31 p.m.

Sounds like there will be lots of masturbation in your future.

Jan. 23, 2010, 11:49 p.m.

Not as much sunshine as you would think there would be with that name.

Jan. 23, 2010, 11:50 p.m.

Expo 86 wasn't hosted there.

Jan. 24, 2010, 12:01 a.m.

Sounds like there will be a lot __more__ masturbation in your future.

FYP

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Jan. 24, 2010, 8:45 a.m.

Con = travel schedule is determined by BC Ferries

Parents [HTML_REMOVED] in-laws live on the SSC, after years of dealing with the ferry line ups [HTML_REMOVED] $$$, I wouldn't want to live there. Great riding though.

Jan. 24, 2010, 8:55 a.m.

the only con to you moving to the SSC would be to the people already living there.

that being said, Timmigrant could likely hook you up with some cougars that are into "athletes"

Jan. 24, 2010, 9:17 a.m.

I grew up there, but haven't really lived there for 5-6 years now so I'm probably out of the loop. I still visit a few times a year since my folks live there and I have a handfull of really good friends down there. Every time I visit I get so nostalgic for the ocean, the riding, the year round riding climate and the forest that I think about moving back. I think it's changed alot in the time I've been gone-there seems to be more young people living there, they've built a new rec centre so there's something to do and it's gotten alot bigger in that time. That being said, it's still small town BC and it still has small town problems - there's always some dumbass rednecks looking to pick fights, lots of drama all the time etc etc.

If you don't know anyone there, I don't know how easy it would be to make new friends. I guess through work you might meet a few people, but it still seems kinda small town-ish that way; people are a little clicky and that.

If you've got a truck and like wrenching/wheeling I'm sure you could find some other gearheads to hang out with, theres lots of great backcountry to explore with a 4x4 and fishing rod.

The riding is spectacular and if you had an "AM" type bike you could ride hundreds of kilometres of the nicest singletrack you'll ever find without running into many people. The FR/DH trails are all wicked but the main mountain is kinda flat so there isn't much in the way of really steep, tech "shore" riding per-se…but lots of high speed, bermy, loamy trails..some of the best out there IMO. Without a bike it's pretty quiet and I think I'd go crazy, if I ever moved back I'd bring an AM bike instead of a FR bike, there's so much to explore and nearly all the trails there could be ridden on a short travel bike.

In terms of the singles situation;

It seems pretty quiet. There's only two bars in Gibsons and they both seem full of the older crowd, but again I don't know because I only visit a few times a year and I might just be hitting it on bad nights. I'm sure there's some trim there, I probably just don't know where to find them haha. Since I'm usually visiting family when I'm there I'm not really looking to pick someone up and take her home to my parents place hahaha.

I went to a new years party a few years ago, my friends were DJing and it was good times. Super chill vibe from everyone there but there wasn't lots of single women, mostly just couples. Some girl was trying to pick me up but she kept spitting on me when she was talking so after a while I had to ask her to stop spitting on my shirt, and that was the end of that.

Jan. 24, 2010, 9:33 a.m.

Whole lot of negativity. Lame.

Jan. 24, 2010, 9:33 a.m.

pretty sure the only thing wrong with the ssc is all the people that live there.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 24, 2010, 9:36 a.m.

i loved the ssc best place to be!

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Jan. 24, 2010, 10:55 a.m.

i loved the ssc best place to be!

con:

Jan. 24, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

I'd move there for sure. It's so nice to be in an environment like that. I have visited friends in Grantham's Landing? (I think) and that area was excellent.

Jan. 24, 2010, 1:37 p.m.

Got a job offer in Sechelt and I'm just wondering what the pros and cons would be of living there.

Me:
Twenty
Male
Single
11 mth Siberian Husky
I know zero people who live there.
I like hiking and biking

Pros, Cons etc

And go.

Rep as always

This is just like all those "should I move to Whistler" threads:

You currently live in Surrey. You've been offered a job in the SSC. Why wouldn't you take it? If you don't like it…just move back. Later in life it won't be as easy to just pick up and move on a whim…make the best of it now while you can.

"It's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't"

Jan. 24, 2010, 2:12 p.m.

"It's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't"

WHOA.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Jan. 24, 2010, 2:43 p.m.

Yeah don't move here, it sucks. Everyone is mean.

www.thecoastalcrew.com