proportional rep vs FPTP

Dec. 21, 2018, 5:56 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

not enough people cared about the issue enough to really consider it. 

I'm impressed that almost 43% of eligible voters responded.  I was expecting it to be much less.  The result, not such a surprise.

Dec. 21, 2018, 6:24 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I'm impressed that almost 43% of eligible voters responded.  I was expecting it to be much less.  The result, not such a surprise.

Yeah 43% was a pretty good turnout. I think many people fell prey to some of the scare tactics (propaganda)  being used by the No Campaign which probably got more people out to vote. There's no doubt the NDP could have handled this better and to be honest I was surprised at that considering Eby was in charge. Even though I support PR and am disappointed with the results and the way the "campaign" was run, I am happy it was put to a vote instead of simply being enacted as the Greens had initially wanted. 

Re the question of which is better there are clears pros/cons for each system, but I abhor the idea of using fear and uncertainty of the unknown as a way to stifle potential progress. The doomsday scenarios being touted by the No's were outlandish. At the end of the day I think the potentials gains with PR far outweighed the negatives and with provisions made for being able to reverse the decision it seemed more than worthwhile to try a new system.

Dec. 21, 2018, 8:27 p.m.

I don't get the propaganda comments.  The only information I saw on the referendum were:

• numerous signs in the side of the road, and they were all about voting yes for PR,

• the odd TV commercial that was pretty PR,

• the ballot that came in the mail.

Almost all comments I heard from people, in person, was that PR was confusing and that did not see how it would make things better.  I would agree, as all that was put forward were three deficient examples along with quotes like "this works in Ireland".  The electorate has to be provided a much better explanation if PR proponents are every going to succeed.