Project NBR: Does the Red Bull Stratosphere Jump prove ... something?

July 27, 2019, 2:51 a.m.

Ok, so that rotating atmosphere thread was just so that issue didnt cock this one up. I'll give Syncro a nod for mentioning the jet stream which leaves the claimed rotating speed of earth at 1,000km/h to help narrow down the fuckery of this one. Or perhaps its my infallible math.... Anyways,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Stratos

Ascent was 2.5 hours long. We know 1 hour is roughly equivalent to 1 time zone or 1,000km since Earth has 24 time zones for a reason (I think?).

And he only landed 38 miles in the wrong direction of earth's rotation. Simpleton logic indicates he should've at least landed West from where he started to take off and probably in another state.

Discuss.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on July 27, 2019, 2:53 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 27, 2019, 6:38 a.m.

He landed a bit east of his launch location because he ascended in a helium balloon and was pushed in that direction by prevailing winds.  The jet stream was likely further north; if it was over his location he could have been pushed much further east and north/ south.

July 28, 2019, 12:52 a.m.

Posted by: switch

He landed a bit east of his launch location because he ascended in a helium balloon and was pushed in that direction by prevailing winds.  The jet stream was likely further north; if it was over his location he could have been pushed much further east and north/ south.

You realize the head wind would have to equal earths claimed rotational speed and exceed it for him to land east? Or something to the extent.

I dont buy the "helluva head wind" reason.

July 28, 2019, 2:26 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

You realize the head wind would have to equal earths claimed rotational speed and exceed it for him to land east? Or something to the extent.

A regularly scheduled return flight from LA to Dallas has almost the exact same duration in both directions.   Explain how that is possible if the atmosphere doesn't move with the rotation of the earth...

July 29, 2019, 4:17 a.m.

A regularly scheduled return flight from LA to Dallas has almost the exact same duration in both directions.   Explain how that is possible if the atmosphere doesn't move with the rotation of the earth...

Wrong thread bro. You also didnt object to any phrasing in the first post let alone ask what the "something" might be in the subject.

July 29, 2019, 9:42 a.m.

I thought this thread would have more Red Bull and be more fun.

July 29, 2019, 10:11 a.m.

Wrong thread bro. You also didnt object to any phrasing in the first post let alone ask what the "something" might be in the subject.

First you say "discuss", then you get all pissy because you don't like the explanation of how things work...

July 29, 2019, 7:13 p.m.

These must be the two most embarrassing threads I’ve seen on this forum.

July 30, 2019, 9:45 a.m.

First you say "discuss", then you get all pissy because you don't like the explanation of how things work...

That was hardly being pissy about it let alone an adequate explanation.

July 30, 2019, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

These must be the two most embarrassing threads I’ve seen on this forum.

So whats your answer then?

July 30, 2019, 9:50 a.m.

What’s your question?

July 30, 2019, 9:52 a.m.

What’s your question?

How did he manage to land east of where he lifted off given the numbers provided as fact.

July 30, 2019, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I thought this thread would have more Red Bull and be more fun.

You were a fan of Obama right?

Be the Hope n Change you want.

July 30, 2019, 10:14 a.m.

What’s your question?

How did he manage to land east of where he lifted off given the numbers provided as fact.

Switch already answered this for you. 

Your rebuttal citing wind speed is incorrect.

July 30, 2019, 10:15 a.m.

What’s your question?

Switch already answered this for you. 

Your rebuttal citing wind speed is incorrect.

How?