Probable new UBC student: rental housing advice

April 1, 2010, 6:21 p.m.

I'm in the Thunderbird residence at UBC. It's mostly grad students around here, and very quiet. Overall it's a pretty good deal.

With Save-On-Foods now on campus Thunderbird is only a 15min walk away from food. We used to be 10min walk and 10 min bus ride from a disgusting Safeway.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I got into an MEng but will be applying for deferral… need a break from UBC.

April 2, 2010, 11:28 a.m.

Thats good that there is a grocery store nearby.

Anyone stayed or know anyone who has stayed at Green College residence or St. Johns College residence? They seem like a really good setup.

April 2, 2010, 11:33 a.m.

Anyone stayed or know anyone who has stayed at Green College residence or St. Johns College residence? They seem like a really good setup.

Had a happy friend in Green College. Don't know anyone in St. John's, but the location is nice (except that it is a bit close to the tamer of the two first year residences). I miss being in that pocket of campus because it was nice and close to the beach and you got that wonderful breeze.

June 22, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

Hi…starting my Masters and am from out of province…no clue what Thunderbird is like but have been offered a studio in Hazelton. Any word on what the place is like? p.s. I HATED undergrad rez and was out of there asap. Thanks have to decide in 2 days.

June 22, 2010, 6:30 p.m.

Hi…starting my Masters and am from out of province…no clue what Thunderbird is like but have been offered a studio in Hazelton. Any word on what the place is like? p.s. I HATED undergrad rez and was out of there asap. Thanks have to decide in 2 days.

The area is very good and super convenient for school. I've never been in the buildings but have friends there who have never complained about it.
You can find better off campus, but will cost the same or more and will be much riskier if you don't have a hookup or know the area. I would take it and assuming you plan to be here for 2 years, stay there with the idea that you'll be moving off campus next spring and keep an eye open for places as soon as you get here.

It's not like most undergrad residences at all, at least my definition of it.

June 22, 2010, 9:25 p.m.

See my previous posts for about the Thunderbird area. All in all, it was nice. Totally unlike undergrad res.

As for the units, from what I recall all studios were on the ground level. I would personally pay the extra for a 1 bedroom. I didn't even like my living room because it felt too much like a fishbowl that everyone could see into… a studio is pretty much my living room but with a bed in it.

The studio apartments are likely treated better than the 4 person unit I was in so your floors and cabinets won't be worn out. All the inside of Thunderbird was painted last year. Floors are being replaced 10 units every 3 months or so.

June 22, 2010, 9:35 p.m.

If you want off campus there are usually some nice basement suites in the Point Grey/Dunbar area that rich people rent out to students for reasonable.

This is a good idea.

Although you might end up dating a girl who lives in a similar suite. In that case you would have to have really quiet sex since the landlords have rules about overnight guests. Then when her mom comes over she'll comment on how much the dog sheds since somehow black hair is all over the suite. Good times though, good times. Except for the having to be quiet part.

June 23, 2010, 2:37 p.m.

Thanks for the info….I guess I will take the studio and put my name in for a transfer to a higher floor at least. It is cheaper than the apartment I was going to rent and about the same size.