Private insurance in BC?

May 4, 2012, 1:32 a.m.

Any good recommendations for this? Tired of getting my assholed puckered by the con artists at ICBC.

May 4, 2012, 7:10 a.m.

Only collision and comp can be 3rd pary. Ive found the price difference to be non-existant.

17yr clean driving.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 4, 2012, 7:11 a.m.

I get my optional coverage through Canadian Direct Insurance

http://www.canadiandirect.com/

Cheaper than ICBC. I've never had to make a claim so I don't know how they are when it comes to that part.

May 4, 2012, 7:33 a.m.

Waste of time

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 4, 2012, 8:12 a.m.

Over the years I've used a 3rd party car insurance provider off and on. I usually ask the broker to check prices but more often than not there isn't much of a difference. Sometimes they are even more expensive.

I did have to make one claim through them when I was rear ended, it wasn't any more painful than dealing with ICBC.

May 4, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

Ive found the price difference to be non-existant.

For the ones I've looked at, the price is usually close to ICBC, but they throw in a few more extras like replacement vehicle during a claim repair, maybe a lower deductible, things like that. A lot of professional and alumni organizations have group plans than offer extras.

We went with Family Insurance this time around. Not sure if they'll want us back after the $7,000 worth of underbody damage they covered due to hitting a massive rock on the #1 going through the Burnaby construction zone!

I will say the minimal choices here in BC simplifies things. In other parts of the country, you can spend days getting quotes (which can vary by huge amounts) and comparing coverage options. It's like trying to choose a cell phone plan.

May 4, 2012, 4:55 p.m.

Got a quote from Coast capital today, 2243 for a year on a 2010 genesis coupe as compared to 2836 from ICBC

May 4, 2012, 5:15 p.m.

If those are comparable coverages that is a pretty good difference

May 4, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

canadian direct. a little bit cheaper than icbc. saved a little more when used them for home insurance as well. Home insurance was as good as any other provider but they offer unlimited bike coverage plus other premium goodies at no extra charge if you or your partner is a school teacher.

May 5, 2012, 12:58 a.m.

Family Insurance. Available through a lot of brokers. They've been very good with issues and the rates are better than ICBC.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 5, 2012, 8:13 a.m.

If you can get optional coverage cheaper from third parties, go for it, but overall ICBC isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I think it's an awesome source of revenue for our government, at basically no cost to the citizens of BC. I say basically no cost because we are paying essentially the same amounts for insurance as we would be to the private companies in other provinces anyways. The difference is that ICBC's profits go to our government with at least some of that coming back to us in the same way tax dollars do, whereas the profits the private providers make just go straight to their shareholders. This doesn't have much to do with your question, but the evil monopoly of ICBC isn't so bad in my eyes.

www.gnarwhale.com

May 5, 2012, 9:31 a.m.

If you can get optional coverage cheaper from third parties, go for it, but overall ICBC isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I think it's an awesome source of revenue for our government, at basically no cost to the citizens of BC. I say basically no cost because we are paying essentially the same amounts for insurance as we would be to the private companies in other provinces anyways. The difference is that ICBC's profits go to our government with at least some of that coming back to us in the same way tax dollars do, whereas the profits the private providers make just go straight to their shareholders. This doesn't have much to do with your question, but the evil monopoly of ICBC isn't so bad in my eyes.

This is a good point. For every two dollars you save by avoiding icbc an extra dollar in tax will need to be collected.

May 5, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

Got a quote from Coast capital today, 2243 for a year on a 2010 genesis coupe as compared to 2836 from ICBC

whats your discount%?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 5, 2012, 11:11 a.m.

+1 - Poking capitalism in the eye with a sharp stick! :woot:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 5, 2012, 4:19 p.m.

As others have said, it is a huge myth that private insurance in BC is cheaper than ICBC….I can say from personal experience that dealing with ICBC (although not always a fun experience) is WAY easier than dealing with a private insurer. Unless you're saving HUGE coin (which you won't), just stick with ICBC.