Private insurance in BC?

May 7, 2012, 6:45 a.m.

Crap. That's half of the rate in Vancouver.

People in Sooke got it too good.

Too be fair I do drive a pos Honda. So maybe that's the problem for vancouverites? They gotta have that shiny new car

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 7, 2012, 7:55 a.m.

I believe ICBC has different rate levels depending on where you live. If one lives in a rural area, where there is supposedly less chance of accident or theft, you pay a lot less than people insuring in the major urban centers like Vancouver and such.

May 7, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

Too be fair I do drive a pos Honda. So maybe that's the problem for vancouverites? They gotta have that shiny new car

Basic coverage through ICBC is $700 a year for pleasure use, even for an old vehicle. That's with the maximum possible safe driver's discount. Collision would double that.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 7, 2012, 6:27 p.m.

I pay $800 without collision, used to pay almost $1000 when I had collision two years ago. I also need my car for work. I think that's quite a bit cheaper than Vancouver. My wife pays maybe 50% more on our two year old SUV. Beaters are the way to go. Not sure why they wouldn't be acceptable in Vancouver,as long as you could pass air care.