Private extended benefits

Dec. 1, 2015, 5:03 p.m.

What do the self employed, without spouses to tag onto do for extended benefits? I hadn't really thought about it since becoming a sole proprietor in August but just had a filling come loose and I'm looking at $200 to fix it so here I am! Thanks in advance!

Dec. 1, 2015, 5:27 p.m.

if you only need one filling done, pay the $200 bucks and call er good. private providers like blue cross etc usually require that you have paid 3-5 months without a claim before you can get any benefits, and at that time you usually don't get much from them (have a look, it's barely worth it) - they also don't cover much of more expensive procedures.

I just go to mexico and get dental work done while I'm on vacation, usually even if it's just having a few fillings replaced and a cleaning done the savings at least pay for my plane ticket, maybe most of my vacation.

depends on how adventurous you are but I know quite a few people who do it annually and the hundreds of thousands of americans who cross the border for cheap dental work every year in the USA can't be wrong.

Dec. 1, 2015, 5:28 p.m.

I think all the major insurance companies (Sun Life, ManuLife, Blue Cross, etc), and lots of other ones as well, offer plans for individuals.

Dec. 1, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

If you're an alumni of a Uni,or can re-enroll in one course you may be able to use the student benefits option.

Emphasis on the "may" part.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 1, 2015, 7:57 p.m.

If you're an alumni of a Uni,or can re-enroll in one course you may be able to use the student benefits option.

Emphasis on the "may" part.

Does The MB offer extended benefits?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 1, 2015, 9:10 p.m.

Does The MB offer extended benefits?

Are they a PPSEC accredited institute..?

/shiiiiiiiiit

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 2, 2015, 4:27 a.m.

When I've looked into getting private extended benefits in the past, it has not been worth it once you take into account the limitations on the items they cover.

You're better off putting the money you would pay in premiums into a savings account to draw on if/when needed.

Dec. 2, 2015, 6:33 a.m.

When I've looked into getting private extended benefits in the past, it has not been worth it once you take into account the limitations on the items they cover.

You're better off putting the money you would pay in premiums into a savings account to draw on if/when needed.

Agreed… this has been my experience as well… they hose you on premiums and give you very limited coverage when you actually need it…