Practical BC vehicle recommendation

Aug. 30, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

I really like the Impreza wagons and the Crosstreks. But would it kill Suby to have a more powerful engine option? I'm not asking for WRX twin turbo kind of stuff. But if they can increase torque and HP by 40 each with an engine that still runs on regular unleaded then they would be tweaking my nipples. Lovingly.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 30, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

I wish Subaru still made the Outback Sport.

Aug. 30, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

The Rogue, Sante Fe, and Edge aren't any bigger. The Acadia is a lot bigger - bigger than Highlander and maybe even the Pilot.

Mid sized SUVs are more maneuverable around town, cost less, and get better mileage. They have a fair bit more cargo capacity than a mid size sedan.

Go to an automall and sit in the ones you are interested in. Sit in the driver seat, giving yourself a lot of room, then check how much room the rear seat has. Check the cargo room behind the rear seat. Fold down the rear seat to check maximum cargo space, etc.

Domestic models will have better finance pricing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 30, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

I always had a soft spot for the Ford Flex, my wife thinks that they are ugly, I find that they make for a very nice hatchback with an enormous amount of interior space.

These things are very cool-looking. And they certainly appear to be super-practical. I didn't think they were still in production, but looks like they are. They start at $35K. 287HP in the base model… or optionally 365HP AWD version. Wow.

Aug. 30, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

I really like the Impreza wagons and the Crosstreks. But would it kill Suby to have a more powerful engine option? I'm not asking for WRX twin turbo kind of stuff. But if they can increase torque and HP by 40 each with an engine that still runs on regular unleaded then they would be tweaking my nipples. Lovingly.

I think what I want is Subaru and Mazda to join forces. :idea:

A cross between the Impreza Hatchback and the Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.5 litre engine. Zoom zoom with rugged, practical lesbian approved practicality.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 31, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

I would think an all wheel drive Passat wagon, A3 Wagon, A4 Wagon type vehicle would kick ass here but my experience with VW/Audi has had me feeling like I got slipped a date rape drug.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 31, 2016, 12:07 p.m.

These things are very cool-looking. And they certainly appear to be super-practical. I didn't think they were still in production, but looks like they are. They start at $35K. 287HP in the base model… or optionally 365HP AWD version. Wow.

Been looking at the Ford Explorer. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet.
Our one Subie has almost 300K on it and will die eventually. I really don't like what Subaru has done with the design of the new Outback, Forester. So looking for an alternative.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 3, 2016, 5:06 p.m.

What's the proper protocol for test driving a vehicle… Is it just the standard 20 min drive around the block and then you gotta decide if you want to lay down $35k? Is it possible to take extended test drives? Also, is it ever possible to have a test drive that involves off-road or snow driving? Obviously no dealership would want you test driving a car in the snow, but if your primary reason to purchase a particular vehicle is due to its performance in snow then I would think it would be common sense to test it out in the snow before buying, no?

Or is it just best to rent the car (from Enterprise, Budget, etc) for a weekend?

Sept. 3, 2016, 5:59 p.m.

What's the proper protocol for test driving a vehicle… Is it just the standard 20 min drive around the block and then you gotta decide if you want to lay down $35k? Is it possible to take extended test drives? Also, is it ever possible to have a test drive that involves off-road or snow driving? Obviously no dealership would want you test driving a car in the snow, but if your primary reason to purchase a particular vehicle is due to its performance in snow then I would think it would be common sense to test it out in the snow before buying, no?

Or is it just best to rent the car (from Enterprise, Budget, etc) for a weekend?

Couple points from my recent personal experience of testing/buying a new vehicle :

1. Most salesman said to take the vehicle for as long as we needed and be back before closing - we never kept one longer than 90min or less than 60. We always drove the exact same route so the variables were exactly the same - route had mix of urban/rural/parking lot/backing up/hills/ect…..only once out of probably 10 different test drives did the salesman even come with us.

2. Several salesman said 24hr test drives could easily be arranged for us.

3. Several salesman offered to take us off-road with them driving so we had no liability for the vehicle - most already had a 'usual' off-road test drive route which tells me it's a very common request.

4. I've tested several vehicles in the middle of winter whilst I was working up north (PG) and no salesman ever refused me a test drive regardless of weather/road conditions.

5. Make note of the make/model of the factory supplied tires as they will have a major impact on how well/poor a vehicle performs and can easily be changed - sometimes by the dealer for little to no cost to you.

6. Good luck to you In your search.

Sept. 3, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

Depending on the dealership, you could get a demo car (usually something someone like the sales manager drives) for a day or two. I've done it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells