Practical BC vehicle recommendation

Aug. 25, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

The Outback and Forester get lumped together but to me they are very different cars. The Outback feels and drives like a very large station wagon while the Forester feels and drives more like a small SUV. This makes them different cars in terms of blind spots, road noise, and driver feel.

Most AWD systems with the right tires will handle road/highway snow and ice no problem. Where the Audi and Subaru systems really shine is when there's a lot of resistance on the tires. I've been in a Subaru that made it out of mud field compared to seeing a BMW X3 that couldn't get out of heavy/wet compacted snow that built up between the chassis and ground.

Aug. 25, 2016, 10:57 a.m.

I know that it might be a more expensive to maintain option but it ticks all of your boxes and could be had around 35K, what is it: a 4 or 5 year old Mercedes E class wagon. They come up used from time to time on Craigslist and Autotrader. Lots of room, 4 wheel drive (4matic), even has rear facing trunk-mounted [HTML_REMOVED]#8216;dickie[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; seats for +2 friends. Very roomy.

Just saw a super clean 2008 with [HTML_REMOVED]60K kms, go on Craigslist for 14,000. Maintenance is a on the higher end if done at the dealership (dealer oil changes go for $400).

If you're keen on warranty, MB will sell you extended warranty even if you buy private.

If my wife were to come around to the size, I'd be driving one right now.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:16 a.m.

@in_a_bath and family have a Mazda CX7 as their only vehicle and they love it. Too bad he's away right now, otherwise, he'd been all up in how great of a vehicle it's been for them. His wife doesn't mind it either.

Almost everyone is going to tout how much they love their vehicle.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:26 a.m.

Almost everyone is going to tout how much they love their vehicle.

I guess I would be the one to say im am merely 'OK' with the vehicle we bought 3 years ago. 2007 Audi A4 Avant 3.2L Manual. I would say it is a 'small' wagon, but with a roof box it can carry 4 and all their gear no problem.
It has plenty of power, traction is incredible in the winter with winter tires and the fit and finish are top notch.
If it weren't for the carbon build up issue with all the older Audi/VW engies (this goes for all those 2.0T ones as well) I would give it a fully positive review.

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:38 a.m.

then maybe don't discount the idea of a nicer vehicle with a good set of winter tires to go with it. if you feel that good snow performance is your top priority then this should help you decide on what vehicle will be best for you.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/222752-which-compact-suv-has-the-best-all-wheel-drive-system-for-snow-and-ice

edit - have you given any thought to running two vehicles? a cheaper used compact like a civic for day to day driving and the more capable suv for weekend/family chores? you might be able to get both vehicles within your budget.

Thanks for the link - makes me consider the CX-5 a lot more seriously. I really like the Forester's AWD snow/off-road capability but aside from that its sort of "meh". The CX-5 looks like a nicer vehicle all around so if it is good in the snow then that makes it quite attractive to me. Will definitely be getting winter tires regardless of vehicle choice - I'm not one of those people who thinks that if you have AWD/4WD that you can get away with all season tires.

In terms of 1 vs. 2 vehicles - we live in a downtown condo, only have one parking spot, and my wife walks to work so a 2nd vehicle just isn't in the cards at this point. My longer term plan is to get some sort of middle ground vehicle now and then when we eventually move further out of the city, then get a second vehicle that is more heavy duty.

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

I know that it might be a more expensive to maintain option but it ticks all of your boxes and could be had around 35K, what is it: a 4 or 5 year old Mercedes E class wagon. They come up used from time to time on Craigslist and Autotrader. Lots of room, 4 wheel drive (4matic), even has rear facing trunk-mounted ‘dickie’ seats for +2 friends. Very roomy.

Just saw a super clean 2008 with [HTML_REMOVED]60K kms, go on Craigslist for 14,000. Maintenance is a on the higher end if done at the dealership (dealer oil changes go for $400).

If you're keen on warranty, MB will sell you extended warranty even if you buy private.

If my wife were to come around to the size, I'd be driving one right now.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you think this would be a better option than an Outback (looks quite similar in terms of size)? I think I would have a hard time driving a Mercedes (i.e. a luxury vehicle) down a dirt road and sitting in there with muddy mtb gear etc.

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

Very expensive maintenance with Mercedes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:04 p.m.

Very expensive maintenance with Mercedes.

It can be, we've had one for 3 years now and it hasn't cost us a penny in maintenance beyond the annual oil change. That being said, I've also heard horror stories.

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

After I got out of the warranty period I've been going to Henneken for my service. Often more than 1/2 off the dealership.

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:08 p.m.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you think this would be a better option than an Outback (looks quite similar in terms of size)? I think I would have a hard time driving a Mercedes (i.e. a luxury vehicle) down a dirt road and sitting in there with muddy mtb gear etc.

The thing is that the base models like the E250 (sedan only), E320 and E350 are supposed to be utilitarian family vehicles, when we were in Europe last summer we saw a few loaded up to the tits with gear driven by (what appeared to be middle class) families on road trip. They are cheaper there, I'll concede. If you were going for the E-500 or the E63, that would be another matter. Those, while being built around the same shell, are real luxury vehicles; with air ride suspension and V8 engines.

Regarding comparability to the outback, the E wagon has an extra 2 seats available in a pinch, otherwise, cost of ownership will be lower in the Outback, anecdotally, although I don't have any experience owning either.

As a side note, I've known that a couple of the MB techs in North Vancouver own 2002-2010 E class cars because (if maintained) they are the most reliable cars that MB has made in the last 20 years.

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:12 p.m.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-975/Car-Seat-Cover

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:35 p.m.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-975/Car-Seat-Cover

Ironically, I have two.

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:36 p.m.

Ironically, I have two.

Wish they put elastic bands on the corners so that the seat part would be secured somehow.

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:51 p.m.

Wish they put elastic bands on the corners so that the seat part would be secured somehow.

I wish that the fabric wasn't so thin, it keeps the mud from hitting the seats but the sweat/wetness leaks right through. I've taken to placing a towel underneath for those wet days.

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

I wish that the fabric wasn't so thin, it keeps the mud from hitting the seats but the sweat/wetness leaks right through. I've taken to placing a towel underneath for those wet days.

Yeah, that too. I was hoping it was made like the dog cover I have for the back… much tougher material.