Politics

July 11, 2017, 9:42 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: chupacabra

I am no fan of assholes but Canadians should still have the right to be one.  The military will handle this in the best way they can, which might mean punitive measures, but other than that these guys should be able to be assholes again when it is all said and done as long as they do not hurt anyone.

I'm gonna' disagree and say that since they're on the payroll of the Cdn. taxpayer they give up the right to be racist until such time as they get their dis-honorable discharge.

I am not saying they aren't racist, that wouldn't surprise me at all, but these guys didn't erect the statue and I don't see how supporting Cornwallis can be construed as racism.  From what I can read about Cornwallis he was a colonial douche for sure, but not exactly Nova Scotian Hitler.  With Mi'kmaqs killing settlers as part of the larger war at that time, I imagine the politics were not as cut and dry (bad whites killing nice natives) as many would imagine.  Chief Mama Grizzly talks about the scalps of her people that Cornwallis paid for (reportedly one scalp), but the French, who were inciting war between the English and the Natives, were already paying her people for British scalps.

July 11, 2017, 3:07 p.m.

I am no fan of assholes but Canadians should still have the right to be one.  The military will handle this in the best way they can, which might mean punitive measures, but other than that these guys should be able to be assholes again when it is all said and done as long as they do not hurt anyone.

I'm gonna' disagree and say that since they're on the payroll of the Cdn. taxpayer they give up the right to be racist until such time as they get their dis-honorable discharge.

I am not saying they aren't racist, that wouldn't surprise me at all, but these guys didn't erect the statue and I don't see how supporting Cornwallis can be construed as racism.  From what I can read about Cornwallis he was a colonial douche for sure, but not exactly Nova Scotian Hitler.  With Mi'kmaqs killing settlers as part of the larger war at that time, I imagine the politics were not as cut and dry (bad whites killing nice natives) as many would imagine.  Chief Mama Grizzly talks about the scalps of her people that Cornwallis paid for (reportedly one scalp), but the French, who were inciting war between the English and the Natives, were already paying her people for British scalps.

Al Gore was right....the truth IS inconvienient!

July 11, 2017, 3:20 p.m.

Pretty stupid to advertise they were serving Canadian Military, they should have had some soldiers of odin t-shirts made up for the occasion

July 11, 2017, 9:39 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Al Gore was right....the truth IS inconvienient!

No fucking fair! chup's doing nuance!

July 12, 2017, 12:21 p.m.

I like staying in the grey area Tungsten.  When you change your mind on something nobody even notices.  If it turns out that these guys are white supremacists trying to take over Halifax I can always quote myself as saying "I am not saying they aren't racist, that wouldn't surprise me at all"  ;)