Police brutality.

June 22, 2020, 12:40 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Since no one cares, tell me what CounterPunch thinks about the autonomous zones and re-appropriation of land - is it ok because its "stolen" from whitey and is in the best interest of spreading Communism? Is it not bad at all?

I did in an answer to Hepcat. Go search...off with you now, sunny jim.

You sure it was Hep? Cant find you quoting him on the last 3 pages.

June 22, 2020, 3:57 p.m.

So what about the Rayshard Brooks shooting? How does that one fit into everyone's ideas of police brutality?

June 22, 2020, 6:25 p.m.

Definitely excessive force.

June 22, 2020, 8:12 p.m.

I see it the other way on this one. After watching the body cam he obviously was impaired. He decided, drunk or not, to resist. Again pretty obvious. Now the taser is not a non lethal weapon, it is a less lethal weapon. I’m sure we all remember the Robert Dziekanski case. It is reasonable to believe the officers were in danger. Race doesn’t factor in here for me.

June 22, 2020, 8:27 p.m.

Because he was impaired how do you prove intent?

Only thing he's guilty of is being unbelievably stupid in provoking an entity known for using excessive force.

Then again, he were drunk, right?when interacting with the fuzz.

I used to see lots of clowns getting smacked around by the VPD on the Granville strip simply because they couldn't keep their fucking yaps shut when interacting with the fuzz.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 22, 2020, 8:32 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 22, 2020, 8:30 p.m.

Only thing he's guilty of is being unbelievably stupid in provoking an entity known for using excessive force.

Wow, so much for trying to be the voice of the oppressed. There is so much more going on than that.

June 22, 2020, 8:39 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Wow, so much for trying to be the voice of the oppressed. There is so much more going on than that.

Gotta' play the percentages in life. No matter who you are.

You jump from a tall building you're gonna' be bugsplat. You grab a cops weapon and try and use it on him he gonna' shoot you dead.

Everytime.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/06/23/Canadas-Military-Gave-2000-Assault-Rifles-To-Police/

http://www.lawcha.org/2014/12/29/stop-kidding-police-created-control-working-class-poor-people/

Revealing...

https://www.policemag.com/342098/the-2016-police-presidential-poll

Last edited by: tungsten on June 22, 2020, 11:57 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
June 23, 2020, 4:09 a.m.

Because he was impaired how do you prove intent?

Then again, he were drunk, right?when interacting with the fuzz.

I used to see lots of clowns getting smacked around by the VPD on the Granville strip simply because they couldn't keep their fucking yaps shut when interacting with the fuzz.

You skipped the part where he took the officer’s weapon. But you do tend to gloss over the details from time to time.

Last edited by: FLATCH on June 23, 2020, 4:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

So what about the Rayshard Brooks shooting? How does that one fit into everyone's ideas of police brutality?

Unless the guy running away is an imminent threat to the public, I don't see why cops should ever pull a gun and fire.  Or get into a car chase.  They could have just gone looking for him later if they are too slow to catch a guy drunk off his ass.  It's not like they didn't know who he was.  I also don't see why anyone should have to be cuffed and taken in for a DUI.  They could take his keys and call him a cab.  Charge him later.  

I am willing to bet that the majority of cases where death was avoidable go 2 ways.  One is like George Floyd where they use overuse force to restrain people and the other is where they use their gun when their hearts are pumping and they can't think straight.  If white-collar criminals don't need to be cuffed and hauled away to a cell they can do the same for other non-violent crimes.

June 23, 2020, 10:33 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Unless the guy running away is an imminent threat to the public, I don't see why cops should ever pull a gun and fire.  Or get into a car chase.  They could have just gone looking for him later if they are too slow to catch a guy drunk off his ass.  It's not like they didn't know who he was.  I also don't see why anyone should have to be cuffed and taken in for a DUI.  They could take his keys and call him a cab.  Charge him later.  

I am willing to bet that the majority of cases where death was avoidable go 2 ways.  One is like George Floyd where they use overuse force to restrain people and the other is where they use their gun when their hearts are pumping and they can't think straight.  If white-collar criminals don't need to be cuffed and hauled away to a cell they can do the same for other non-violent crimes.

You've seen the full Brooks body cam video ya? Do you let a drunk run away with a taser? Did you see the police try to resuscitate Brooks after Brooks got the tazer, fired it at a cop and then got shot like a dumb citizen?

ps: Floyds toxicology is indicating heart failure due to 3x the lethal limit of fetanyl and meth! Thats why he couldnt breathe.. besides being a mannequin.

June 23, 2020, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Definitely excessive force.

Negative. You reach for a cops tazer or side arm and they have a right to defend themselves. And will.

June 23, 2020, 11:03 a.m.

They could take his keys and call him a cab. Charge him later.

LOL so good it needed to be on its own. If you pass out in a Wendy's drive through, you gone did fuck up and are beyond drunk in public. If Brooks had a half brain left, by your logic he could've just left the car in the drive through and walked away right? Let someone else move it out of the way. Then maybe he'd play in traffic as a drunk pedastrian and pull a Joe Black. But nope, the dumbass had to get into a fight with the police.

And, HE GOT CAUGHT DRINKING AND DRIVING AND NOW YOU IDIOT LIBERALS ARE OK WITH DRINKING AND DRIVING? Since the fuck when yo? It's called getting caught and being responsible for your shit. Play stupid games, with stupid prizes. Now you know why drunks in Canada have a breathalyzer IN the car (so they cant start the car up and die in a fuckin drive through - joking ! drunks usually commit vehicular homocide instead of passing out waiting to get food we should totally become lenient on them because of this isntance. Drunk Drivers Matters!! )

The cops are supposed to arrest people for being drunk in public, being inebriated behind a wheel and any other mind altering substance while operating a motor vehicle. And Brooks previously was arrested for child abuse basically - you want his drunk ass going home to his "girlfiend" or his "family"?

Where the fuck is the line these days.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on June 23, 2020, 11:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2020, 12:52 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

ps: Floyds toxicology is indicating heart failure due to 3x the lethal limit of fetanyl and meth! Thats why he couldnt breathe.. besides being a mannequin.

you heard the sound of that dog whistle and just couldn't pass it by.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on June 23, 2020, 12:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2020, 2:28 p.m.

This idiot liberal is definitely not ok with that, but I do agree with you. To me the officers were 100% justified. Hell, how many times did they give him an opportunity to just fess up. The thing that sticks out to me is how did the first cop allow him to move his car out of the line. The guy is obviously hammered and he lets him potentially drive away?

June 23, 2020, 3:27 p.m.

Unless the guy running away is an imminent threat to the public, I don't see why cops should ever pull a gun and fire. Or get into a car chase. They could have just gone looking for him later if they are too slow to catch a guy drunk off his ass. It's not like they didn't know who he was. I also don't see why anyone should have to be cuffed and taken in for a DUI. They could take his keys and call him a cab. Charge him later.

I am willing to bet that the majority of cases where death was avoidable go 2 ways. One is like George Floyd where they use overuse force to restrain people and the other is where they use their gun when their hearts are pumping and they can't think straight. If white-collar criminals don't need to be cuffed and hauled away to a cell they can do the same for other non-violent crimes.

Well he had pulled a taser off the one less experienced officer and turned and fired it at the officer who shot him while he was running away. I don't agree with the shooting, but under those circumstances and depending on the training and experience of the office I can see them using lethal force.

Re the DUI the police had been pretty good with him and he had been co-operative up until the point they tried to cuff him. Brooks was a recently paroled felon and would have been going back to the clink if arrested fur DUI. I would guess that's why he tried to run, which wasn't really a smart decision. Considering he was buzzed at least it's no surprise to me that panic took over and he tried to bolt. In terms of the officer pursuing him, well he took a taser off of one guy and the officers were at that point more than likely informed of Brook's recent parole status so I would guess they didn't have much choice but to pursue him. So Brooks was fucked either way, whether they took him in on the spot or let him go to pick him up later - he was going back to jail. Did he deserve to die? No. But what are officers supposed to do in that situation? You can't just let the guy go. Maybe they should have called for more backup before they tried to arrest him so he couldn't bolt?

It's a shitty situation and in the current climate is being treated as just another typical cop killing a black man. I tend to think this situation is far more nuanced than that and I don't know if there is a right answer on what should have been done. I would guess based on the vids if Brooks had just accepted his fate and let the officers arrest him he would still be alive today. He clearly didn't want to do that tho. I would also guess that Brooks would still be alive if there had been more cops and he was fighting to get away, but you never know in that situation. Brooks looks like he was a bigger guy, over 6ft and 200lbs so he wouldn't have been easy to coral. Trying to pin down a larger human who is hopped up on adrenaline and basically fighting for his life is not an easy thing to do. He for sure would have been hurt in some way, maybe he dies in that situation too.

White collar criminals seem to accept their fate and let officers take them in. It seems that most criminals who are from the streets tend t fight to get away. I would guess if you ran the stats that for arrests or police contact, people who put up a fight and try to flee have a much higher incidence of injury or death than for people who don't.

Last edited by: syncro on June 24, 2020, 10:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity