plumber recommendation

Dec. 27, 2016, 2:59 p.m.

DaveM is an electrician.

i've seen Dave ride a mtn bike - he's definitely a plumber

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 27, 2016, 8:55 p.m.

Was just told by my plumber that my hot water tank was installed (not by him) wrong 2 years ago. Apparently having a shut off valve on the hot water line leaving the tank is a huge no no.

Why?

Dec. 28, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

Why?

there's a risk of a tank explosion. however that risk may be a bit overblown (ha!) as a few other things need to happen as well. besides the hot water outlet being shut off the cold water input at the tank must be shut off, the prv has to fail, the temp sensor has to fail and the shut off have to be closed for a while before there is any danger. the risk of all four of those happening for any extended length of time is pretty minimal and it would take a completely unaware and oblivious home owner for that to happen.

in the case of an electric water heater it simply means the tank will burst, but in the case of a case heater is means the tank could go boom! the advantage to having a hw shut off though is that you can flush the tank without pushing any of the crud that builds up in the tank through the hw lines in the home.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer