Playing an ipod nano in your car

June 13, 2007, 10:21 a.m.

What method do you use?

Any recommendations?

I just talked to Westworld, he said there are a few ways to do this…

You can get a wireless receiver to play through your fm radio, or direct hook ups.

You can get a cable that can keep the ipod charged and play through the fm receiver.

What do people use and what would be the most reliable?

It would be nice to use it in the Volvo and Prius.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 13, 2007, 10:25 a.m.

and do ipods ever go on sale? holy shit they're expensive

June 13, 2007, 10:27 a.m.

those FM tuners suck IMO, lots of static in the lower mainland

June 13, 2007, 10:27 a.m.

I've got an FM modulator and a cassette thingy. Neither work great. The FM modulator is good when you're in the middle of nowhere. In the city there's something broadcasting on almost every frequency on the dial. The cassette thingy (I can't believe our Pathfinder has a cassette player) has the sound quality of…well a cassette.

If your factory head unit has auxilary input jacks you can buy some components to wire your ipod direct, which gives the best quality. I take it neither vehicle has an auxilary mini input?

June 13, 2007, 10:28 a.m.

I have a griffin road trip, which charges my Nano and plays through my FM radio. Works fine, except in urban areas, where I have a harder time finding a clear station to use.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

June 13, 2007, 10:28 a.m.

Yeah, FM tuners work great if you're in the middle of nowhere, not so great in populated areas.

Cable connect is your best option if your deck supports it. You can always buy a cig lighter charger later.

This space intentionally left blank.

June 13, 2007, 10:40 a.m.

I use a Sony Cassette adapter and it's got very good sound but that would also depend on the quality of your tape deck. That said, doesn't the Nano have a non-standard headphone jack? Or is that just the Shuffle?

June 13, 2007, 10:42 a.m.

I use a Sony Cassette adapter and it's got very good sound but that would also depend on the quality of your tape deck. That said, doesn't the Nano have a non-standard headphone jack? Or is that just the Shuffle?

The Nano's audio output is just the standard mini stereo jack.

June 13, 2007, 10:45 a.m.

what colour is the nano?

meh

June 13, 2007, 10:49 a.m.

what colour is the nano?

I don't know yet! maybe pink?

The cassette option may be the way to go. We have a cassette player in the Prius, but not the volvo…

Neither of these cars has an auxilary input for an ipod. 2004 wasn't quite there yet.

You can get direct adapters for each car though.

Lee thinks I should just use my old discman! What a LUDDITE!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 13, 2007, 10:53 a.m.

I have the iTrip and it works great. contrary to what Rat says, I never have static with mine.

June 13, 2007, 10:55 a.m.

apparently you can have "one of 5 colors says whatever you want " … which means you won't go out of style if you buy the new Ipod nano

My Gf's daughter plays movies on hers ,perfect for those LOOOOONNNNG van rides to the races

what ever you use its probably better than letting lee sing

June 13, 2007, 11:27 a.m.

and do ipods ever go on sale? holy shit they're expensive

says the guy who works like 1 day a week.. no, but if you can get a student to buy it you can get it for ~10% cheaper.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 13, 2007, 11:44 a.m.

Cassette option is consistent at least, ie. it won't be affected by what's around you. My radio transmitter will be working fine for a while, then I'll drive under/near power lines and it'll mess up for a bit. You also get interference from people with XM sat radios in their cars since you're generally trying to use the same range of dead airspace.

If you want good sound (ie. closer to CD quality than radio quality) go for the conversion for the direct connect. If you just want sound, go cassette.

This space intentionally left blank.

June 13, 2007, 11:45 a.m.

You can order them from a MAC dealer and they will get you name engraved in them at the factory

BTW working is highly overated , I know proffesional types who take advantage of the high salary to not work alot ,there are 3 doctors up here sharing 1 position.They live in small houses,live frugally … buy lotsa nice gear