planet of the humans (documentary)

June 26, 2020, 5:25 p.m.

Seen it and agree.  The closing shots are hard to watch.

June 26, 2020, 5:29 p.m.

Most people are blissfully ignorant of the real impact humanity has on this planet, especially if it is not directly affecting them.   I saw the doc a while ago and I cannot recall if they went into the population debate but if you want to be really disarming at a gathering bring this up and point out how most every problem in society we have can be distilled in its purest form to overpopulation.  And what are we doing about it?  Nothing.  In fact:  you need a license for most everything, even to get married, but not to have children or have any qualifier to bring one (or two) into the world.  Every time you have sushi ask what the styrofoam boxes do, or the mining for the metals for ours bikes......on it goes.

The part at the end about the monkeys is truly disturbing, and I am thankful for the filming of it to hit home the real impact.  Brought me to tears, in fact.

June 26, 2020, 6:23 p.m.

Greed & corruption. How much is enough?

June 26, 2020, 6:55 p.m.

Posted by: blackfly

every problem in society we have can be distilled in its purest form to overpopulation.

Nope. Red herring. Throughly debunked.

Try capitalism.

https://www.sierraclub.org/washington/blog/2020/01/overpopulation-myth-and-its-dangerous-connotations

Last edited by: tungsten on June 26, 2020, 6:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 27, 2020, 2:38 a.m.

So lets skip the virtue signalling and who do we kill first?

Asking for a friend.

June 27, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

I'm feeling a bit burnt out of climate change and all the other problems in the world. Pretty much everything we do to survive is harmful to the planet in one way or another, I recently switched industries from logging to essential service. I feel better now that I'm.not responsible for killing old growth trees and destroying the environment that way.. but the ship I'm on burns 1000L of diesel a day just running the Gen set for hotel load.. and then when I come home I get in my truck and burn more fuel to go camping ( while driving down forestry roads which only exist because trees =$$) so much internal conflict.

June 27, 2020, 3:33 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

if you think you're responsible for your values, you're kidding yourself

as a big brained mammal we have this curse that we can reflect on the craziest things, like, who are we, why are we, and can we be different if we don't like who we are. it's bloody painful.  sometimes i just wanna be my cat to avoid being a human that is living at the expense of something else. i feel by being alive, other beings are being dead. i don't like it.

Most of us are born with an inherent sense of morality, but our environment has the ability to change that. Our value set includes that morality, but it is also determined by our conditioning, and this is highly influenced by our environment. Once we mature though, we do have the ability to change our value set, but it is a difficult task.  It takes conscious daily effort and a level of self awareness that allows you to see who you are and and question that person.

I think one of the most important goals to being a good human is to try and live your life so that the net effect of your existence is to give more than you take. Again a very difficult task in the scheme of the modern world, but I believe it is a goal worth striving for.

June 27, 2020, 5:51 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

every problem in society we have can be distilled in its purest form to overpopulation.

Nope. Red herring. Throughly debunked.

Try capitalism.

https://www.sierraclub.org/washington/blog/2020/01/overpopulation-myth-and-its-dangerous-connotations

I agree about the capitalism part but thinking the Sierra Club has debunked a critical thread in human issues is BS.   They will push any green agenda at any cost (and like any group, the more converts the more clout in implementing said ideas).  More people equals more use equals more resources (and concomitantly the RATE of use).  Takeover of land for habitation, use of land for growth of food crops.......

Overpopulation as the root cause is labelled as a red herring since fixing the problem would lead to issues no one REALLY wants to tackle (whom lives, whom dies etc.....).  I am sure the NWO has already figured this out.  Notice how little help Africa gets compared to Japan in time of crisis?  In the seven years I studied Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering at university no course I took in environmental science or ecology denied the population issue as being number one.  Every one agreed the fix was too sensitive an issue to address.  

The real question is how many would have to be removed to help the problems.....of course, if we found another habitable planet and could get there it would help the issue, wouldn't it.  But we spent out time, resources and brainpower not on space travel but nuclear weapons.  IMO we have missed the boat.  If the issue of recolonization was addressed in the 60s instead of the fear of the Reds there is no telling where we would be now, or the solutions we would of found.

If I remember right the Sierra Club wants to get all mountain bikers out of the back woods in the US.  Strange reference to bring up considering the host of this forum.

June 27, 2020, 10:05 p.m.

If I remember right the Sierra Club wants to get all mountain bikers out of the back woods in the US.  Strange reference to bring up considering the host of this forum.

I'm all for restricting access to National Parks and Wilderness areas. There's enough places to ride already without despoiling everywhere. I would wager that if you dig deep enough into the organizations pushing for that access you'll find an industry hack in there somewhere. Fucking greedy capitalists trying to create more demand for product. Even more dangerous now with e-bikes.

https://youtu.be/hqBTGA6vKFI