Pitt Meadows Coach Goulet Fired

Sept. 10, 2017, 5:53 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Ah, I wasn't clear. I actually DID want to get into team sports. I liked basketball and rugby.

What I was doing was avoiding spending my time getting yelled at by people I had to obey, but did not respect. I didn't respect the old school coaches because they couldn't communicate firmly or clearly without loosing their shit. I considered soccer for a while precisely because the coaching staff seemed more reasonable.

it's been the same for bosses - I can respect the ones that keep calm when things are shitty but the foreman loosing their shit all the time just drove me to find ways to not work for them. Life is too short to waste around people who can't control themselves when they're under stress. Why would anyone follow a leader who can't control himself?

yeah so you didn't buy into the old school coach/jock thing but those good athletes who didnt buy into the system were in every school NOT playing team sports so it did level the playing field so to speak cuz none of those kid chose to play h-school team sports for that kind of coach. Yeah no stop/start/sub in soccer so they pretty much have to just let you go and play, where I went to school (burnaby north) the coach was quoted in print saying that most of the kids knew more about soccer than he did due to the local system ( cliff ave united ) so he just let them play

Since the old school coach was so widely accepted it was everywhere so there isn't really any way to say one got better results than the other ...its just the way it was

In H-school the foot ball coach kept trying to recruit my kid a smart kid good at any sport, good mtn biker good ww kayaker and so I asked why not give it a try and he said " when coach starts yelling and doing the thing, I just wouldn't be able to stop from laughing in his face "

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 10, 2017, 6:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2017, 6:53 p.m.

Posted by: xxx-er

In H-school the foot ball coach kept trying to recruit my kid a smart kid good at any sport, good mtn biker good ww kayaker and so I asked why not give it a try and he said " when coach starts yelling and doing the thing, I just wouldn't be able to stop from laughing in his face "

After the coach put his ass on the line and ran him until he puked he wouldn't find it quite as funny.

Sept. 10, 2017, 7:25 p.m.

Well, at least we know that the players that complain will definitely not be joining the military.

Sept. 10, 2017, 7:31 p.m.

Ya It didnt happen cuz junior was smart enough to know he didn't wana play for a screamer

cuz he didnt respect him so he was one of those who wasnt interested in metaphoricaly speaking sucking coaches cock like the rest of you jocks

so recognise in H-school there was and us and them ... you were one of them

In any case when it come to education which is what this is all sposed to be about ... it all sounds pretty admirable eh?

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 10, 2017, 7:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2017, 7:35 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Well, at least we know that the players that complain will definitely not be joining the military.

ya this whole thread remind reminds me of the end of "animal house" where they tell ya the ROTC leader guy was shot by his men

Sept. 11, 2017, 8:52 p.m.

I've been reading this thread with some interest as I didn't know this coach but know people who did know him. 

From what I've observed watching my son play for a few different coaches in school and club basketball is there is definitely two thoughts on coaching styles. The old school loud yelling hard ass and the more sedate level coaches. Even within the in your face group there are a range of styles. 

My son has played for loud in your face agresive styled coaches and loved their enthusiasm and has played for coaches who throw their clipboards after the first possession and hated playing for them. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can be a "hard ass" and still have the respect of your players or you can be a "hard ass" and destroy your teams morale. I've seen more than one kid quit sports because of shit coaching. 

Isn't the point of school sport to build kids up not rip them down?

Sept. 11, 2017, 9:02 p.m.

winning isnt everything ...  its the only thing

Sept. 11, 2017, 9:19 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

ya this whole thread remind reminds me of the end of "animal house" where they tell ya the ROTC leader guy was shot by his men

That true switch, you really wear a helmet?

Last edited by: tungsten on Sept. 11, 2017, 9:29 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 12, 2017, 4:15 a.m.

Posted by: yellowdogxyz

I've been reading this thread with some interest as I didn't know this coach but know people who did know him. 

From what I've observed watching my son play for a few different coaches in school and club basketball is there is definitely two thoughts on coaching styles. The old school loud yelling hard ass and the more sedate level coaches. Even within the in your face group there are a range of styles. 

My son has played for loud in your face agresive styled coaches and loved their enthusiasm and has played for coaches who throw their clipboards after the first possession and hated playing for them. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can be a "hard ass" and still have the respect of your players or you can be a "hard ass" and destroy your teams morale. I've seen more than one kid quit sports because of shit coaching. 

Isn't the point of school sport to build kids up not rip them down?

You have to rip them down first so you can build them up properly.

Sept. 12, 2017, 4:16 a.m.

No real military branch, but it sounds like they perfect for the air force.

Sept. 12, 2017, 2:57 p.m.

Don't knock the Air Force. Tom Cruise was in the Air force.

Sept. 12, 2017, 8:19 p.m.

What level of NCCP have you completed?

Sept. 12, 2017, 8:44 p.m.

To all you bleeding heart liberals who keep defending this guy, you need to understand finances are limited and outdated methods of teaching cost us money.

Sept. 12, 2017, 9:56 p.m.

Is that a joke?

Sept. 12, 2017, 10:02 p.m.

Posted by: fun-house

Is that a joke?

It depends.

How would you measure the defence of the original position by the various participants?