Pitt Meadows Coach Goulet Fired

Sept. 6, 2017, 9:31 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Your liberal ideology is costing Canadians a lot of money in this case.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on Sept. 6, 2017, 9:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 6, 2017, 9:36 p.m.

Everyone's a winner baby

Sept. 7, 2017, 7:21 p.m.

Anyways, as we were saying, the narrative I attribute to a story on which I have no facts represents what has happened.  My political party is better than yours.

Sept. 8, 2017, 10:25 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

So kid decided to play competitive basketball under a coach whom has a reputation of being tough. Tough coach yells at kid for not trying and laughing at a loss. Kid goes crying to mom and dad. Coach then gets fired. 

Why did kid play basketball if he didn't want to try? If he was a terrible coach and 'times are changing' then why did Pitt accept his volunteering knowing full well the kind of coach he is?Using the physical abuse card is a little extreme in this situation, especially since students in those days were forced into going to school. Basketball is completely elective.

If they didn't like it, they could have gone to Ridge instead. Doc didn't yell anywhere near the way Goulet does. (Is he still Coaching?)

For those that question his results, just look at a few of the other schools in the area. I don't believe there is any inherent difference between the student athletes at Pitt Meadows, Terry Fox, or Riverside when they are 12 years old. Yet Goulet & Chambers consistently produced better results than whoever the hell is coaching at Riverside. Goulet & Chambers have a relatively similar "old school" coaching style. They scream. They yell. They tell you that you're playing like a fucking pussy at 120 dB in a crowded gym in the middle of a tournament. They throw chairs at your head, smash clipboards on your knee during time outs. They make you run until you puke at 7AM Saturday morning after an embarrassing Friday night loss. As a result of these coaching styles, they consistently produced some of the toughest teams in the province for the last several decades.

As for "managers that scream and yell aren't accepted anymore either" - fuck that. The most effective GM I've worked for would yell and chew your ass so hard that you couldn't sit down for a week. I was once asked in front of every manager in the company, "Why the fuck do we even employ an engineer?", and at the time I didn't have an answer. That mine ran smoother, at lower costs, and with less major screw ups than any other operation I've been at since. Have worked at two mines and under 3 GM's since, I feel pretty confident in saying that he was the reason things worked so well back in MT. 

Leaders who expect excellence and accept nothing else get those results. There are times where you have to pat people on the ass and tell them they're doing a good job (the first part isn't meant literally), but there are also times that people need to be told that they're fucking up. Those conversations shouldn't be pleasant. You should walk away feeling worse than when you walked in. Otherwise, you won't remember the lesson you're supposed to learn. 

One day, after that same GM chewed out about half the room in a planning meeting, he came to my office shortly afterwards and asked me why you lunge a horse. I didn't have a damn clue, but after they way that meeting had just gone I guessed it was to punish them for screwing up. "No. You lunge them when they make small mistakes so that they learn from them and never make major mistakes"

Sept. 8, 2017, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: fun-house

I'd be pissed off too if when I was 15 years old I was forced to wear a tie to school.

I wore a shirt & tie to school on game days from grade 8 on. In high school, many of us stepped up to suits. Not only does it feel good to look professional, but now that I'm out of school and into the real world, I'm prefectly comfortable on the (very rare) occasion I need to wear a suit. I can remember several occasions where colleagues or friends on mine have needed to dress up and couldn't even tie their own tie. I actually had to teach them or tie it for them, and these are grown adults in their mid 20's. 

Another life skill these coaches instilled upon us.

Sept. 8, 2017, 10:30 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Ya so driving drunk, smoking in bars/restaurants,  misogynist behavior in the work place and/or socialy, telling all kinds of jokes about blacks/chinese/gay LGBTQ (newfies  are still OK) 

there are a whole bunch of things you just can't do anymore including his coaching style and I'm pretty sure he knew it

I'm also pretty sure the 3 NBA players had some good genes

So you aren't OK about Chinese jokes, but you believe in Eugenics?

Sept. 8, 2017, 12:26 p.m.

Actualy I/we (the one eyed lawyer) make lots of chinese jokes on FB all the time cuz as the visible minority with shitty driving habits we can make those jokes

but my point would be because of the PC thing you just can't do/say things anymore that were common 30 yrs ago, so it sounds like that would include buddy's coaching style, obviously that style doesnt work anymore which is why buddy lost his job

not sure exactly what your eugenics angle is about but I am willing to bet the 3 guys buddy coached who made it to the NBA were tall cuz B-ball is the one sport where everyone is tall so if you watch an NBA game everybody on the court is tall, exception to that rule is probably Steve Nash.

but what makes a pro athelete? apparently kids who were born in the 1st half of the year do better than kids born in the last half of the year, they are bigger get on bettter teams yadayada

My ski bud coached a sucessful local NHL player so I asked could you see his greatness back in peewee? No but you never had to tell that kid twice to do something and he just kept getting better and better

and in spite of coaching a pro (how many HS coaches have  coached a pro?) Bruce has never been a scream and yell kind of guy

I wore a tie for 17 yrs, I can tie it perfectly without thinking 15 yrs later, in any case I didn't care that they were asking me to wear a suit while fixing dirty HW, they were paying me alot of money and suits are actualy cost effective ... costs the same as business casual

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 8, 2017, 1:54 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Sept. 8, 2017, 1:26 p.m.

Posted by: Farmer

you believe in Eugenics?

Sept. 8, 2017, 3:40 p.m.

not sure exactly what your eugenics angle is about but I am willing to bet the 3 guys buddy coached who made it to the NBA were tall cuz B-ball is the one sport where everyone is tall so if you watch an NBA game everybody on the court is tall, exception to that rule is probably Muggsy Bogues....

Sept. 8, 2017, 6:31 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

So kid decided to play competitive basketball under a coach whom has a reputation of being tough. Tough coach yells at kid for not trying and laughing at a loss. Kid goes crying to mom and dad. Coach then gets fired. 

Why did kid play basketball if he didn't want to try? If he was a terrible coach and 'times are changing' then why did Pitt accept his volunteering knowing full well the kind of coach he is?Using the physical abuse card is a little extreme in this situation, especially since students in those days were forced into going to school. Basketball is completely elective.

If they didn't like it, they could have gone to Ridge instead. Doc didn't yell anywhere near the way Goulet does. (Is he still Coaching?)

For those that question his results, just look at a few of the other schools in the area. I don't believe there is any inherent difference between the student athletes at Pitt Meadows, Terry Fox, or Riverside when they are 12 years old. Yet Goulet & Chambers consistently produced better results than whoever the hell is coaching at Riverside. Goulet & Chambers have a relatively similar "old school" coaching style. They scream. They yell. They tell you that you're playing like a fucking pussy at 120 dB in a crowded gym in the middle of a tournament. They throw chairs at your head, smash clipboards on your knee during time outs. They make you run until you puke at 7AM Saturday morning after an embarrassing Friday night loss. As a result of these coaching styles, they consistently produced some of the toughest teams in the province for the last several decades.

As for "managers that scream and yell aren't accepted anymore either" - fuck that. The most effective GM I've worked for would yell and chew your ass so hard that you couldn't sit down for a week. I was once asked in front of every manager in the company, "Why the fuck do we even employ an engineer?", and at the time I didn't have an answer. That mine ran smoother, at lower costs, and with less major screw ups than any other operation I've been at since. Have worked at two mines and under 3 GM's since, I feel pretty confident in saying that he was the reason things worked so well back in MT. 

Leaders who expect excellence and accept nothing else get those results. There are times where you have to pat people on the ass and tell them they're doing a good job (the first part isn't meant literally), but there are also times that people need to be told that they're fucking up. Those conversations shouldn't be pleasant. You should walk away feeling worse than when you walked in. Otherwise, you won't remember the lesson you're supposed to learn. 

One day, after that same GM chewed out about half the room in a planning meeting, he came to my office shortly afterwards and asked me why you lunge a horse. I didn't have a damn clue, but after they way that meeting had just gone I guessed it was to punish them for screwing up. "No. You lunge them when they make small mistakes so that they learn from them and never make major mistakes"

No one questioned his "results".  It was pointed out that mathematically you'd be foolish to draw any conclusions on his efficacy given the fact that there is really no data to do so.

Again, see my posts on the almighty anecdote.  You are only offering anecdotes.  Don't.  Really.  Understand why.  You will be better because of it.  I guarantee.

Sept. 8, 2017, 7:48 p.m.

One of the greatest coaches in BC high school history was fired based on the anecdotes of a few of his players. Facts and data didn't matter enough to save his job. 

Sounds like a bunch of coaches are planning to boycott Pitt because of this.

Sept. 8, 2017, 7:58 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

not sure exactly what your eugenics angle is about but I am willing to bet the 3 guys buddy coached who made it to the NBA were tall cuz B-ball is the one sport where everyone is tall so if you watch an NBA game everybody on the court is tall, exception to that rule is probably Muggsy Bogues....

Ok so now I get it ... most B-ball players are black

Sept. 8, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

One of the greatest coaches in BC high school history was fired based on the anecdotes of a few of his players.

Haha ... apples, meet oranges.

Buncha dang fruits.

Sept. 8, 2017, 8:58 p.m.

Funny how the people who have never known the man are saying he got what he deserved meanwhile those of us that do know him are on his side. I feel like this thread has lost its purpose and has now just turned into a challenge to win an argument. If he was so shitty he would not be getting the support, period. Parents of students on that particular team actually called for his return but a small group fought harder to get him fired. The opinions of a small handful of parents outweighed a storied career and thats a shame.

Sept. 8, 2017, 8:59 p.m.

i think you guys who would defend him brought it up  we are pointing out the guy was a fucking dinosaur,  you can't operate like that any more and the clue would be that coach got fired

when i was living in poco I remember a tall guy who I am pretty sure was from PM telling me an anecdote about a B=ball coach in h-school, he was talking to the coach and he had a pack of players in his breast pocket so you could obviously see they were smokes, coach knocks them out of his pocket and tells him to pick them up off the floor.

Tall guy sez to coach "No you did it you pick them up"and when coach didnt do it tall guy turns around walks out and he never played for that coach, tall guy said to me that guy was an asshole and he didn't deserve to win ... I wasn't gona play for him

you seem to think you can get people to play for you by intimidation and threats? maybe mining is still in the dark ages but what about the rest of the business world and if you wana keep on the sport thing look at the pro atheletes on contract making millions these are THE best in the world and so if the coach can't coach them its way cheaper to just get another coach

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 8, 2017, 9:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.