Pitt Meadows Coach Goulet Fired

Sept. 1, 2017, 10:36 a.m.

http://www.mapleridgenews.com/sports/hall-of-fame-pitt-meadows-basketball-coach-fired/

Snowflakes couldn't handle the heat so they cried to mom and got one of the provinces greatest coaches fired.

Anyone who played for / against Pitt in the last few decades should remember Coach Goulet and his style. It isn't gentle, but it works and his athletes were better for it.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Last edited by: Farmer on Sept. 1, 2017, 10:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2017, 11:10 a.m.

I played under him and had him as a gym teacher. They dont make em like they used to that's for sure. Sucks for him, he's a gem.

Sept. 2, 2017, 7:58 a.m.

another shining example of helicopter parents who are afraid to let little Johnny face a little adversity. IMO another reason it is so hard these days to find  hard working young men who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and work as hard as the old guy trying to show them the way.

what a shame

Sept. 3, 2017, 7:12 p.m.

I'm not sure what is worse. SJW's or people who say, "snowflake."

What units are we using to measure this mans efficacy? What are the circumstances upon which he was asked to leave? I didn't get that from the article.

Sept. 5, 2017, 12:36 p.m.

You want units of efficacy? How about producing 3 NBA players and a flood of support from past students (myself included). Basically his coaching/teaching style were too 'hard' and feelings were hurt. Complaints resulted in termination. The sad part is he was blindsided by the dismissal which is just a slap in the face imo.

Sept. 5, 2017, 1:07 p.m.

Ya so driving drunk, smoking in bars/restaurants,  misogynist behavior in the work place and/or socialy, telling all kinds of jokes about blacks/chinese/gay LGBTQ (newfies  are still OK) 

there are a whole bunch of things you just can't do anymore including his coaching style and I'm pretty sure he knew it

I'm also pretty sure the 3 NBA players had some good genes

Sept. 5, 2017, 2:13 p.m.

What was so offensive about his coaching style?

Sept. 5, 2017, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

some might describe his style as the raving lunatic at times - the scream and yell type. the thing is some people respond to this and some don't. i don't think you can argue against him wanting the best for his students and athletes, but that doesn't mean you can't question his tactics. i think across all sports and teaching environments the days of the screamer and yeller and the htfu attitude are are slowing getting phased out as we start to figure out from a psychology standpoint what works best in terms of motivation. it's even been a popular topic in pro sports so it makes sense that it's starting to be looked at more with kids who's intellectual and emotional maturity is still developing.

the days of carrot and stick thinking are coming to a close.

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 5, 2017, 7:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 5, 2017, 8:19 p.m.

I dunno, I had a manager who used to say " maybe you didnt do anything wrong but these people are pissed off at ya so WTF? " which was always valid in the business environment . I don't even have a clue whom this guy is but if some people complained ... then he had complaints

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 5, 2017, 8:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 5, 2017, 10:32 p.m.

You want units of efficacy? How about producing 3 NBA players and a flood of support from past students (myself included). Basically his coaching/teaching style were too 'hard' and feelings were hurt. Complaints resulted in termination. The sad part is he was blindsided by the dismissal which is just a slap in the face imo.

That is a pretty shitty unit of measure from a variety of stastical perspectives.

How come you are privy to the complaints? Can you share them here?

Remember when all the past students of Paterno rushed to his defence? That was hilarious.

Sept. 6, 2017, 4:59 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Remember when all the past students of Paterno rushed to his defence? That was hilarious.

apples and oranges

Sept. 6, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

He was my coach and teacher while I went to Pitt Meadows secondary. Through social media and friends I've kept in contact with after all of these years, I've gotten a pretty clear picture of what happened. It is true he was hard on his players/students but he wasn't an asshole. He never made anyone feel unworthy but rather motivated you to get your ass in gear. Game days we were required to wear a tie to school for the whole day out of respect for ourselves and the team. A game wasn't something to be taken lightly. It seems the students who were complaining about him were actually upset that he yelled at them because they laughed at how bad they were losing during a game. I hope that if my kids act like that during anything that requires some effort there will be an authority figure to get them fired up. He has been retired for a number of years now and was volunteering his time to coach. The man has been there for 40 years and has left a legacy of players and students that have gone on to great things (nba players included). 

Come on guys, if your math teacher from grade 10 was fired would you care?? Probably not unless they left a powerful positive impression on you. Look at the support he's getting on social media. Crappy teachers/coaches would never get the amount Goulet is getting, that says something. What really scares me is the precedent this is leaving. 

Anyway hes a grown man and will find his way to deal with it. Im more upset that complaining students got an authority figure fired because he was 'being mean'. Not to sound cliche but I'm scared for the future.

Sept. 6, 2017, 9:03 a.m.

He never made anyone feel unworthy but rather motivated you to get your ass in gear.

well thats just your opinion man

he never made YOU feel unworthy

but come on that had to be what 15-20 years ago ?

times change if you don't change with them ... get left behind

I received unwarranted corporol punsihment in H-school

the guy was a fucking jerk and they can't do that anymore either

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 6, 2017, 9:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 6, 2017, 9:11 a.m.

I guess times are changing agreed. It is sad though that a coach can't yell and scream anymore though purely for running the risk of hurt feelings. Nobody was forcing these kids to play Basketball.

Sept. 6, 2017, 9:27 a.m.

He should have given everyone of his players a participation trophy that they could take home to their parents.  Problem solved.