per Adam's request... God

Aug. 19, 2009, 7:25 p.m.

Yes because it's on the discovery channel, it's gospel.

Our sun is a star. A star is a self-gravitating object supported against collapse by energy radiated from an internal source. It is an inanimate object.

Please, enlighten me as to how an inanimate object is liked to our climate and reacts accordingly to balance things.

Because it is a machine! They (the planets and the sun) are bodies locked in a dance.
What did you think I was implying that it was intelligent. Um no that was not my point. The explanation of our origin has puzzled mankind and we have looked to our environment to explain why we are here. The sun has been looked at as god for far longer than modern religion has been around. The science behind the article on discovery is "fairly" sound and back up with some published papers by reputable sources.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Aug. 19, 2009, 7:26 p.m.

This thread reminds me of the Dyslexic Agnostic with Insomnia who was up all night trying to decide if there really was a Dog.

LMAO:D

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Aug. 19, 2009, 7:35 p.m.

Because it is a machine! They (the planets and the sun) are bodies locked in a dance.
What did you think I was implying that it was intelligent. Um no that was not my point. The explanation of our origin has puzzled mankind and we have looked to our environment to explain why we are here. The sun has been looked at as god for far longer than modern religion has been around. The science behind the article on discovery is "fairly" sound and back up with some published papers by reputable sources.

The sun is a massive nuclear reaction governed by the rules of thermodynamics, quantum mechanics and general relativity, among others. Studying stars is hard because we're essentially limited to a single snapshot in time, and we have to look at a lot of stars in order to get enough data to be statistically significant. The sun is the only star we can study in close detail, with probes, helioseismology, close range spectra and visual investigations. Trying to convince me it's a machine is going to take more than a show on the discovery channel. I will record it and watch it though.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 19, 2009, 7:37 p.m.

no thats silly.

prolly just ate some good mushrooms.

fixed

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Aug. 19, 2009, 8:34 p.m.

I hope so, and hope not at the same time.
I'll let you all know.

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:35 p.m.

There is a god.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

It looks like this

:canada: :swiss:

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:42 p.m.

I prefer to be skeptically agnostic. I don't discount any possibility for explaining our existence, but knowing FOR SURE that any one explanation is correct is impossible.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:45 p.m.

just like santa claus

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:50 p.m.

_Posted via Mobile Device_Being anything other than agnostic is pretty silly. Claiming to know the unknowable is evidence that you are delusional

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:55 p.m.

If Santa Claus did exist, he would be very dead, very quickly.

http://www.engineeringedu.com/Santa.html

:nerd:

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:56 p.m.

If Santa Claus did exist, he would be very dead, very quickly.

http://www.engineeringedu.com/Santa.html

:nerd:

I still feel one should be agnostic to the idea…

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 19, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

Being anything other than agnostic is pretty silly. Claiming to know the unknowable is evidence that you are delusional

that's quite a statement and I agree wholeheartedly. Religion was created by governing officials for the express purpose of controlling people through fear and misplaced loyalty to "their god" and has henceforth been used as a tool by all governments to coerce people into going to war against so-called infidels in order to secure land and resources. It would be pretty hard to convince anyone to fight for you if you told them it was to gain control of a resource.

:canada: :swiss:

Aug. 19, 2009, 10:16 p.m.

_Posted via Mobile Device_Religion is a farce. Each and everyone (well I can't say that really as I don't know them all but anything that claims to know something that is unknowable is a farce)

but man not knowing doesn't equal no god. To think that (sorry to think you KNOW that) is just drinking a different flavour of koolaid

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Aug. 19, 2009, 10:21 p.m.

The sun is a massive nuclear reaction governed by the rules of thermodynamics, quantum mechanics and general relativity, among others. Studying stars is hard because we're essentially limited to a single snapshot in time, and we have to look at a lot of stars in order to get enough data to be statistically significant. The sun is the only star we can study in close detail, with probes, helioseismology, close range spectra and visual investigations. Trying to convince me it's a machine is going to take more than a show on the discovery channel. I will record it and watch it though.

i found out tonight that the sun is 8 minutes away from us (ahead). so..if it exploded, we'd know 8min later. not sure of the relevance :P but i found that pretty interesting.

Aug. 19, 2009, 10:25 p.m.

Simply replace "religion" with "Way of Life" and everyone is happy.

viperfunk.com