pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

Sept. 19, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

70 percent of Canada's private workforce is employed by small business (99 employees or fewer)

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/061.nsf/eng/02805.html

And I am thinking most of those small business are corporations.

I know my small business is as are 80-90% of the small businesses in this town are corporations as well.

Sept. 19, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

Continue… I am interested in your theory.

He's talking about QE1, QE2, QE3.

Sept. 19, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

Continue… I am interested in your theory.

Zerohedge.com had an article with a good graph in the last couple months showing one measure of the economy, I believe GDP per capita, with and without QE over the last decade or so. (I apologize that I'm on my phone, can't remember the exact details after working a 14 hr day, and am not going to spend the time looking it up). Without QE, we have continued to slide downhill since the bottom of the recession. Labor force participation rate is near all time lows. Inflation is killing the average person. The only thing going up is the stock market, and that is thanks to central banks pouring money into their false economy.

BS. People work longer hours today and their money doesn't go as far (you conveniently left out housing), not to mention the fact the the reason companies are still making money is because people are buying all that shit.

I don't know that I've seen any actual hard numbers on hours worked, but I won't disagree for the most part. As a salaried supervisor, I work the same sort of hours as my grandpa did in the 70's. Our miners work the same schedule that the miners here worked in ine 80's and 90's. That said, inflation is much higher that the official stats would like us to think. It helps their case that inflation isn't going up when they remove things like food and fuel from the basket of goods and put ipods and flat screen TVs.

It wasn't me, but that is beside the point. Why should wages outpace inflation? Does an increased standard of living interest you or have we reached that perfect amount to live in Utopia? You are basically happy having only a select few enjoy human progress but most of us are not.

I would say it is a fine like between striving to have a better life and feeling entitled to one. I heard recently that people of welfare in the US are trying to have us pay for them to go on vacation, since working people get to do those things, they should as well. Entitlement is what is killing our society.

I leave you with this question. When efficiency upgrades reach the point where robotics and computers are all a company needs and employees are just a burden, who buys the shit they produce? This is a balancing act. The economy must serve the people or it falls apart.

We have already seen this happen (to a degree) with manufacturing. There are some jobs that I do not believe can ever be replaced 100% (underground mining, for example), but we need need to work to protect blue collar, middle class jobs in North America.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 23, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

Zerohedge.com had an article with a good graph in the last couple months showing one measure of the economy, I believe GDP per capita, with and without QE over the last decade or so. (I apologize that I'm on my phone, can't remember the exact details after working a 14 hr day, and am not going to spend the time looking it up). Without QE, we have continued to slide downhill since the bottom of the recession. Labor force participation rate is near all time lows. Inflation is killing the average person. The only thing going up is the stock market, and that is thanks to central banks pouring money into their false economy.

I won't disagree with you at all about QE, but the economy needed (may still need) triage so I am not sure what the answer is.

I don't know that I've seen any actual hard numbers on hours worked, but I won't disagree for the most part. As a salaried supervisor, I work the same sort of hours as my grandpa did in the 70's. Our miners work the same schedule that the miners here worked in ine 80's and 90's. That said, inflation is much higher that the official stats would like us to think. It helps their case that inflation isn't going up when they remove things like food and fuel from the basket of goods and put ipods and flat screen TVs.

I am honestly not that sure about this either, but it seems like professionals work a lot more than they used to, especially when you add the constant connectivity. It seems like people have a lot less time to get out and camp and fish like they did when I was a kid.

I would say it is a fine like between striving to have a better life and feeling entitled to one. I heard recently that people of welfare in the US are trying to have us pay for them to go on vacation, since working people get to do those things, they should as well. Entitlement is what is killing our society.

I really think this is anecdotal. There have been welfare abusers since welfare began but anyone honestly say this is a real drag on the economy? It is more of a lightening rod for complaints from what I can see.

We have already seen this happen (to a degree) with manufacturing. There are some jobs that I do not believe can ever be replaced 100% (underground mining, for example), but we need need to work to protect blue collar, middle class jobs in North America.

I think the future is clear, either we find a way to pay people a decent wage for working a short week (21 hours or so) or we face a future of mass unemployment. The latter costs all of us, so even if you are on of the "lucky" ones that gets to work 60 hours a week the world around you won't be all that nice.

Sept. 23, 2014, 3:20 p.m.

good to see all them damn kids back in school where they belong, I'm down here in Van having to use the wifi at starbuck or the library and I noticed [HTML_REMOVED]80% of the kids hanging out/studying last week were AZN

Sept. 23, 2014, 4:42 p.m.

AZN? Is that like ADHD?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 23, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

good to see all them damn kids back in school where they belong, I'm down here in Van having to use the wifi at starbuck or the library and I noticed [HTML_REMOVED]80% of the kids hanging out/studying last week were AZN

Dude….80% of the kids down there ARE Asian.

Pastor of Muppets