pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

Sept. 18, 2014, 1:46 p.m.

so because corporations are forced to pay the peons wages for working for them, they shouldn't have to pay taxes??

No, but look at the current Burger King / Timmys merger. Businesses will go where it is most profitable to work. If Canada were to jack up corporate tax rates, start saying goodbye to that $0.48.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 18, 2014, 1:48 p.m.

so because corporations are forced to pay the peons wages for working for them, they shouldn't have to pay taxes??

If they are paying people to be in their organization out of charity (and for no other reason - like those people's skills and abilities are part of the profit-making process) that is a bad business model and they don't deserve to stay in business.

Sept. 18, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

Or the union could address the issue of retired teachers taking TOC work.

That was a problem in Ontario, but not much of an issue here I think.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Sept. 18, 2014, 2:17 p.m.

NBR rule #22 - Fact check before taking on Duncan.

He did say "personal income tax", and Duncan's Stats Can link shows at about 30%. :P

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 18, 2014, 3:54 p.m.

Why should corporations pay taxes at all - as long as their employees and shareholder's do?

Sept. 18, 2014, 4:19 p.m.

He did say "personal income tax", and Duncan's Stats Can link shows at about 30%. :P

That is consolidated taxes (federal, provincial and municipal). Here is the link for federal, which is what Duncan said originally.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/govt02a-eng.htm

Sept. 18, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

Is the picture that people make more when the economy is going better (and I mean the real economy, not the fake one that is causing the last few years of that graph to stop making sense)?

The dollars for those wages have to come from somewhere. You can't just wave a magic wand and have money appear out of thin air. (again, notwithstanding the current policy of central banks)

Our economy keeps getting more efficient and the worker bees are seeing none of that. In a consumer driven economy this is a big problem. The corporations don't create money either. They need consumers at the end of the line and those are the same people with shit wages. The stocks keep rising off this increased efficiency and the fact the wages are stagnant. This will hit a wall hard (kind of already is) as these corporations are cutting out the consumer side of the symbiotic relationship. You can't keep milking the cow if you stop feeding it.

Sept. 18, 2014, 5:43 p.m.

The stock market is falsely inflated to its current state thanks to central banks.

The reason people feel poorer is partially because they expect more. 40 years ago, how many people spent [HTML_REMOVED]$200/month on tv, internet, cell phone, satellite radio, etc?

I believe it was you who claimed that real wages have increased 5% in X number of years. Why should wages go up any more than inflation? Has the workforce become more skilled? It is companies, not workers who have invested in technological advances which have improved efficiencies.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 18, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

fuck that wealth is gunna trickle down any minute now i just know it. maybe if we give the rich even more money…

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 18, 2014, 6:25 p.m.

fuck that wealth is gunna trickle down any minute now i just know it. maybe if we give the rich even more money…

ahem, job creators

Sept. 18, 2014, 7:48 p.m.

I suggested to the GF she vote no. The "agreement" is not a good agreement at all. No ability to reduce class size and composition, a minimal pay raise per teacher, and minimal additional funding per district for operational expenses. Some deal.

Was she part of the 99% who voted to go to binding arbitration if the government took E80 off the table? Because I don't think binding arbitration would have resulted in a much better deal than what was reached.

Sept. 18, 2014, 10:36 p.m.

Caved.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 18, 2014, 10:36 p.m.

I just want to point out that those $0.48/dollar come from wages paid out by corporations.

70 percent of Canada's private workforce is employed by small business (99 employees or fewer)

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/061.nsf/eng/02805.html

Sept. 18, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

Caved.

lived to fight another day, hopefully.

Sept. 19, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

The stock market is falsely inflated to its current state thanks to central banks.

Continue… I am interested in your theory.

The reason people feel poorer is partially because they expect more. 40 years ago, how many people spent [HTML_REMOVED]$200/month on tv, internet, cell phone, satellite radio, etc?

BS. People work longer hours today and their money doesn't go as far (you conveniently left out housing), not to mention the fact the the reason companies are still making money is because people are buying all that shit.

I believe it was you who claimed that real wages have increased 5% in X number of years. Why should wages go up any more than inflation? Has the workforce become more skilled? It is companies, not workers who have invested in technological advances which have improved efficiencies.

It wasn't me, but that is beside the point. Why should wages outpace inflation? Does an increased standard of living interest you or have we reached that perfect amount to live in Utopia? You are basically happy having only a select few enjoy human progress but most of us are not.

I leave you with this question. When efficiency upgrades reach the point where robotics and computers are all a company needs and employees are just a burden, who buys the shit they produce? This is a balancing act. The economy must serve the people or it falls apart.