pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 13, 2014, 9:17 p.m.

That's appalling. BC is dead last in almost every category.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 13, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

Between 2006 and 2013 the WorkSafe executive committee saw pay increases of 54 percent on the average. The average was $188,000, and in 2013 it was $290,000. Can the minister explain: how does that happen, a 54 percent pay increase, when benefits are cut, life pensions are no longer there, and injured workers don't feel that they've got any better protection at the workplace than they had before?

Good stuff.

June 13, 2014, 9:43 p.m.

Here are some interesting facts about education in BC:
Some education stats by a VP from stats Can
http://pairadimes.davidtruss.com/to-the-citizens-of-bc/

So many holes i the data he is presenting I don't know where to start.

First off he's cherry picking the data that suits his apparent interest. The years he's select a years when there was no increase in teacher wages. Throw in the "good" years and we're closer to average or over.

He's also using the same ratios over and over again to show low rates in funding change for BC.

Where is the data that shows what our money is getting us. Where do our students stack up against the rest of the country. That is what we should be evaluating.

June 13, 2014, 9:49 p.m.

At least the students can graduate.

_Parents worried that a pending teachers’ strike will mean their children will be unable to write their provincial exams can breathe a sigh of relief, following a ruling yesterday by B.C.’s Labour Relations Board.

In its order, the LRB said provincial exams for Grades 10 to 12 students will proceed and final grades for Grade 12 students must be compiled and submitted no later than June 20.

It ordered school districts to consult with their local teachers’ association regarding the number of teachers needed to monitor the provincial exams from June 16 to 24, after using as many of its own management and excluded staff to do so._

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 14, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

At least the students can graduate.

Hopefully they will get their textbooks (which had to be turned in) back soon …

June 14, 2014, 11:23 p.m.

So many holes i the data he is presenting I don't know where to start.

Clearly, you just looked at the pretty pictures and didn't take the time to read the actual article. Author provides a link to the original stats canada and encourages all readers to read the entire report.

So … the data is unbiased, and from STATS CANADA. And if you don't like the cherry picked charts, you can find the full data set at STATS CANADA.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 15, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

www.natooke.com

June 15, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

Good stuff.

Wow, I wish everyones guidelines were like this

In 2006 there were 13 members who earned $2.1 million in total. In 2012 there were 12 people earning $3.5 million in total. It's about a 108 percent increase. Does that meet all of the guidelines that this government promotes and believes in?

June 15, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

In your views, how serious is the appetite for new leadership in this province?
With how connected the Liberals are, what are the odds of a third party gaining power?

I'm tempted to do more than talk, but I can't help and feel that most people still don't care. Am I wrong?

June 15, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

Lots of apathy in BC. And ignorance. And gullibility. Odds are leadership won't change.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 16, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

Lots of apathy in BC. And ignorance. And gullibility. Odds are leadership won't change.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill

People get the government they deserve.

June 16, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

It will probably end up the same….blame the other party, lots of we are less evil then Clark nonsense, and so on. Yet nothing about the future and talking about actual solutions. Lots of sloganeering and robo type calls.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/06/07/robert-fulford-at-election-time-ontario-becomes-the-republic-of-whiners-and-blamers/?__federated=1

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 16, 2014, 1:01 p.m.

Isn't BC the province that veto'd HST whilst Ontario just lived with it? What province are you comparing to when you make statements like this ?

NSMBA member.

June 16, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

Quebec.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 16, 2014, 3:53 p.m.

Where is the data that shows what our money is getting us. Where do our students stack up against the rest of the country. That is what we should be evaluating.

go nuts

It looks like BC stacks up pretty well against the rest of the country. So the question is; Since BC teachers achieve results above the Canadian average despite having the highest student to teacher ratios, how much more should we pay them?